1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Steve Tilson

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by mark8364, May 18, 2012.

1. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

Apart from his time at Lincoln, without a doubt the best candidate.

2. GeminiSwiftgfc

GeminiSwiftgfc Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Please tell me why he is the "best candidate"?

Overall managerial record is P409 W156 D98 L155 or something in those regions. This is hardly the stuff of legends and his peek was back in 2006 when he lead Southend to victory of Man Utd in FA cup. 6 years ago! Since then it's been down hill.

3. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

So it is just his win rate that is the issue Gemini? Migiating reasons involve huge financial restriction at both Southend and Lincoln, funnily enough the money problems was swiftly followed by the slide back down the league at Southend.

Also an approximate win rate of 40% I would expect to be fairly good at this level, after all if it was significantly better he wouldn't be looking at a lowly league 2 club.

4. GeminiSwiftgfc

Forum Moderator

A big part of his wins came early in his time at Southend. I don't have the stats split 1st 50% and second 50% but I'd imagine that the 2nd 50% probably won't be all that good. I am questioning why Tilson is, as gfc1234 put it, "without a doubt the best candidate", he has never said why and if it is simply because he took Southend from L2 to the Championship then fair enough but there are still doubts for me because of 2007 onwards has not been great tbh and that's a vast majority of his time as a manager.

As I have said I will back 100% whoever is given the post be it Tilson, Allen, Constantine, Powell or whoever but if make a statement such as the one above I want to know your reasons for it.

5. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Fair enough Gemini, I was just after some peeps view on why he isn't the right man for the job, which is why I asked about your view on the win ratio. Personally I think Tilson would be a good candidate as, for me at least, the success with Southend (a similar sized club with similar resources at the time) proves he can take a club to the next level. Of course I have my doubts over the last few seasons but I think the restrictions at both clubs ultimately cost him

6. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

I think its been mentioned before that when Steve Tilson took over Southend were £8m in debt! Did ok in the transfer market signing Freddie Eastwood for £40k sold him for nearly a million! Signed Gary Hooper, now a £8m rated player!

7. GeminiSwiftgfc

Forum Moderator

Is that the whole reason for your constant plugging? 2 signings and working under financial constraints. There are still doubts there.

In all fairness Hooper didn't start performing until he went to Scunthorpe. He wasn't exactly a revelation under Tilson.

Sorry but he is not my first choice.

8. GeminiSwiftgfc

Forum Moderator

And why, if Tilson is announced as manager, is it taking so long?

9. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Being the hopeless optimist surely BECAUSE its taken so long thats why it won't be Tilson? If he was going to get wouldn't he of got it after a week or so? I know people have and will say its because there were people above him on the list of candidates and they all said no but surely if he has been out of work since Lincoln and been seemingly hoping people say no so he is offered it, he isn't exactly thought of in the same regard in the wider football world as he is by some people on here?

10. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

Scally is back in Dubai until Wednesday!

11. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Would put my house on an announcement on Thursday Lunchtime then

12. BSG

BSG Well-Known Member

Yes the length of time I feel would go against his appointment, it is all a bit odd unless you buy into Bristol's point of view on it. But I ask again to Gemini and Luke... why not Tilson? So far peeps have said no without any reason, is it purely a personal reason, are there footballing reasons?

13. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

didn't anyone tell scally not to leave the country....:bandit:

only kidding <laugh>

14. GeminiSwiftgfc

Forum Moderator

Quite simply Tilson wouldn't be my first choice. yes he did fantastically well in the beginning at Southend but, as I said earlier, since 2006 it's been down hill. I know a few Southend fans who don't like him, Lincoln fans don't like him and I've seen nothing to suggest that he will get the best out the players who are already at the club. The other thing about Southend was that he was already at the club and already had that personal bond withplayers, staff and fans, that is not the case at GFC.

15. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

I'll put my hands up and say I have no real reason BUT there must be a reason he has been out of work till (seemingly) now. A lot of Jobs have come up since his departure from Lincoln and now, how come he didn't get any of them? I won't accept the excuse 'he didn't want it', unfortunately at this level of the game managers aren't earning enough to simply be unemployed. To me it looks like there is a good reason he hasn't got a job, what that reason is, I don't know because I don't know all the in's and out's of lower league club's and Tilson, but feel that there has to be some reasoning. Many clubs surely must of felt like us with the 'forget about the Lincoln bit' mentality but he still hasn't got a job. If I had to give one personal reason why I don't want him is because if you look at the most basic record of his career, 2 clubs, 1 success, 1 failure. People are too quick to look to Southend without actually giving the Lincoln failure enough thought. I don't want to sound too negative but really have a feeling theres a good reason why he hasn't got a job since Lincoln. In my opinion, Mr. Scally will go for Constantine because he's a complete wildcard and could end up being fantastic, whereas Tilson seems to much the 'safe option'. But hey what do I know i thought we would have a Manager a month ago!

16. GeminiSwiftgfc

Forum Moderator

How do you know Scally is back in Dubai? I've seen a few people say it but nothing official. But peple were also saying he was in Dubai during the tribunal.

17. gills4everandaday

gills4everandaday Active Member

i'm with gemini and lukey, having no league club in a long while and not being on any other clubs wanted list, i just feel there is more behind the lack of interest and don't rate him as being someone to bond the team as a unit, whilst not being able to make them perform any better than hess did on a whole. don't think he'll be any stronger than hess at the job !

though scally likes to play within his comfort zone...so don't be surprised if it does happen !!!

just do the right thing chairman and make the fans happy and you'll find it will have a knock on effect <ok>

18. gfc1234

gfc1234 Member

Paul Scally can only be in the country 90 days a year for 5 consecutive years to stay a non resident! Im sure it doesnt take much to work out that he will likely want to be in England when Gillingham play at home it doesnt leave many other days to be in the country.

19. gfclukey

gfclukey Member

Gemini, we seem to be on the same wavelength about most thing's we should form a crime fighting duo! Lukey and Gemini is my suggestion for are superhero names!