1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Stan sad update

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by qprbeth, Sep 21, 2018.

1. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

From Loftforwords...a poster called flynnbo

I had a long chat before the game last night with Marilyn who was the head of the Stan Bowles' fan club back in the seventies and she updated me on our beloved Stan. She informed me that he is very, very poorly. and that it has really affected Don Shanks badly who, I believe, is taking part in a fund raising event for Stan. She ended by saying that it would be an achievement if he gets past Christmas. Here's hoping she is wrong on that last point but it's a timely reminder that we should all cherish our loved ones when we can and remember the golden moments he gave us. She did give me more detailed personal information but I don't think that it would be appropriate to share it on a public forum without the family's wishes.

Such absolutely sad news. Poor Stan is going down hill fast.
    He is my reason for being on this forum today, he made me a Ranger. I do believe he was the most naturally gifted footballer I have ever seen. He was more gifted than any modern footballer who trains all day and then psychologically sets themselves up for the match. Stan barely trained prefering just to play football, and his lifestyle would not be conducive to todays highly regulated form of football. He lived his life to the full. I hope he lives his last few months in a calm and in a loving environment. :emoticon-0153-broke

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  2. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

This is such sad news Beth and like you growing up the name of Stan Bowles was godlike in our household. I was a bit young to remember him play and only have the stories and videos to go by now.
    This is such a 2222 disease and I have just lost an uncle to it. Thank you for posting this update.

3. Uber_Hoop

Uber_Hoop Well-Known Member

Stan is quite simply my favourite player ever. Nobody will ever touch him from my perspective. As Beth said, he’s the reason why I follow QPR.

4. TheBigDipper

TheBigDipper Well-Known Member

I saw Marsh play for us. He was good, but Stan was on another planet. The joy flowed from him when it was going well. One of a kind and I'll never forget him as he was when he was in his prime.

5. jeffranger

jeffranger Well-Known Member

What a crippling disease he & thousands/millions people have, such sad news & I had the privilege of seeing him play & what a player, also saw Marsh & Stan had the edge over him, let’s hope he can see a few more years out.

6. QPR999

QPR999 Well-Known Member
    Staff Member

Heartbreaking, Stan was my first QPR/Footballing hero.

7. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Such a horrible, unforgiving condition. It must be agonising for those closest to him, no-one deserves this least of all Stan who lit up so many lives with his skill and happy go lucky personality. I'm often reminded of a couple of lines of the Pink Floyd song 'Shine on you Crazy Diamond', written for the brilliant Syd Barrett they could also sum up our Stan:

Remember when you were young you shone like the sun,
    Shine on you crazy diamond,
    Now there's a look in your eyes, like black holes in the sky,
    Shine on you crazy diamond...

Truly life can be so cruel...

WBA2_QPR3, NorwayRanger, UTRs and 7 others like this.
  8. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

very sad news.
    I remember going to the Crown and Sceptre and seeing Stan in the pub many years ago. I wanted to go over and say hello to my hero but couldn't think of anything to say...something I have regretted ever since.
    I guess like many others, we all wanted to be and be able to play like our hero. I'm not a religious person but I will say a little prayer tonight Stan

9. Staines R's

Staines R's Well-Known Member

Along with Robin Friday (who I never saw play), one of my all time footballing heroes.
    They don’t make the ‘Mavericks’ like that anymore.

terryb, Didley Squat, UTRs and 3 others like this.
  10. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

My all time hero - I hope you can pull through my friend. I was very lucky to meet Stan in the QPR players bar, with Shanksie his wingman as he still is today in his own way. To say I was in awe, was an understatement, he chatted and gave me a cigarette. Absolutely made my year.
    My thoughts are with you Stan - those amazing seasons were one hell of a joy ride. I hope you can keep this horrible disease in check for as long as possible. God bless you.

11. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Sad sad news - was my hero growing up. My dad started taking me to HQ, sitting in SAR, in 1975 when Stan was in his prime, amongst all those other heroes of that era. He stood out a mile from the others with his style and charisma, and his goals. Hope your last few months are painless Stanley, and filled with love and dignity - you'll never be forgotten by your faithful fans.

12. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

I have nothing but admiration for Stan and how he brought such joy to thousands doing what he absolutely enjoyed. So sad to hear his condition is deteriorating. Legend is just not enough for this man.

13. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Like most on here, Stan was the main reason we either started following QPR and or continued to follow the club.

He had that mischievous school boy attitude about him.

Earlier this year, my wife lost her uncle with the same disease. For the sake of the person and the family, with his passing, the only positive if any was the fact that no one had to suffer anymore. What they all had to endure just wasn’t fair.

Truely an awful disease.

kiwiqpr, UTRs, peter1954qpr and 4 others like this.
  14. peter1954qpr

peter1954qpr Well-Known Member

I was also lucky to have seen Rodney in the 10 shirt but Stan was better, I never supported my club because of a player, that was because I was born in Shepherds Bush,but Stan made my Saturdays with his mercurial skill, was lucky enough to meet him once when he autographed his autobiography, I'm not a religious man but I hope our Stan doesn't suffer

jeffranger, Ninj, kiwiqpr and 4 others like this.
  15. Tramore Ranger

Tramore Ranger Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sadly there is only one outcome from this awful disease......one can only hope that those looking after Stan can make him as comfortable as possible over the coming months.....

He was and still is the finest player I've seen in over 50 years of supporting the R's and part of our greatest side ever.....Stan thanks for the memories....

16. Sooperhoop

Sooperhoop Well-Known Member

Often the only way to stop Stan when he was on-song, ably illustrated by Ron 'Chopper' Harris...

17. Turkish" Premier" Hoops

Turkish" Premier" Hoops Well-Known Member

I have no words, Stan was, is and will always be a Legend to those of us who were blessed and lucky enough to see him play.

Didley Squat, Tramore Ranger and UTRs like this.
  18. DT’s Socks

DT’s Socks Well-Known Member

Legend in his time on the pitch
    Life doesn’t surprise me nowadays
    Stan will be looked after for the rest of his days and worshipped as he deserves

What makes my heart bleed are the people worse that Stan Bowles who may not be loved or famous

Yes I understand it’s a love in on sadness here but it’s a disease without any happy endings and everyone needs help with this

19. cor blymie

cor blymie Well-Known Member

I suppose we are all bracing ourselves for the inevitable. Such a cruel illness, witnessing it with one of our neighbours. Heartbreaking

20. Totallyqpr

Totallyqpr Well-Known Member

Both of my kids were called Stan before birth, then the Mrs had her say.