1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Spring News

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Mar 7, 2024.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Argyle will be sending an Under 13's team to the SuperCupNI in July.....this is the tournament that we regularly send are youngsters to in Northern Ireland

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Please don't ask me to decipher this.

I'm assuming they'll show one game on TV and the rest will be streamed on the internet.

What does streaming mean? Yes, I know in principle, but which devices will it be on?

You can add a Netflix or Amazon app directly onto your TV (assuming it's a Smart TV connected to the internet) and watch all of their output without using any other device.

I don't think that's possible with Sky Sports: you'd have to use a laptop, tablet or even phone to access the streamed content as opposed to the transmitted content. Obviously it's better watched on TV, especially if there's more than one of you, and that means casting the picture from your internet device to the TV. That can be a pain in the backside and you probably need a dongle (e.g. Google Chromecast) to plug into your TV before you even start.

Maybe they're expanding the coverage so the matches that aren't televised live are on some sort of Red Button facility. Or perhaps they're not.

Even then, it has it's defects: the Sky online F1 coverage allows you to take the onboard feed from a car of your choice but it's anything up to half a lap behind the TV pictures and commentary. I suspect that's deliberate in case there's a nasty accident which they would not want to televise live. It's a bit daft though when you're watching your driver going down the back straight when the commentary is telling you he's already in the pits.

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/sport/football/plymouth-argyle-efl-sky-sports-9271403

https://www.nowtv.com/watch-sky-sports-online

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It's a good job that they don't have to depend on fans like me....because all this streaming stuff would go bust very quickly....just not interested in splashing out my pension on such stuff.
    I'm content in just following it online and checking how it's going and keeping up with the score on the BBC website.

4. notDistantGreen

5. notDistantGreen

Two of the top three Argyle “goal of the season” fans poll were scored by Finn Azaz. Nuff said.

6. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

So will there be no live games on Argyle Tv next season ? orall on sky but you wont see them at 3pm on a saturday

7. notDistantGreen

Not in the UK no. And 1/3 of games will not be on Saturday at 3pm......

8. notDistantGreen

Speculation from the 'Erald:

"Liam Rosenior is one of the names to be linked with Argyle after his surprise sacking by Hull, just three days after the Tigers finished seventh in the Championship and following a 1-0 defeat by the Pilgrims at Home Park.

The 39-year-old ticks a lot of the boxes in terms of the profile that Argyle would be looking for and I understand he has been under consideration for the role. Anthony Barry, 37, who has been part of Thomas Tuchel's coaching staff at Bayern Munich this season after previously working under him at Chelsea, has also been mentioned as a leading candidate."

9. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

It has been reasonable quiet on the managerial front.....must happen soon I would think.

10. notDistantGreen

These things can be complicated: they require big decisions from both the employer and the candidates. Better to take an extra few days than get it wrong.

11. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Torquay United have announced that Paul Wotton will be their new manager.

Neil Warnock has joined their Directors Board as a Football Advisor.

12. notDistantGreen

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Rosenior never lived in Hull...commuted from Derby..so no chance of his family moving to Plymouth.....I don't think his style was too similar to Argyle's.

14. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Norwich sack David Wagner the day after they get knocked out 4-0 by Leeds in their semi-final second-leg play-off.

So that is two of the top eight managers in the Championship on the scrap heap.

He would be beyond our pocket for us to show interest....he certainly has the experience....having awhile ago taken Huddersfield to the Premiership.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Newcastle have offered £15million for Arsenal keeper Aaron Ramsdale who is 26yrs old.

Michael Cooper I would say was not in the same category as Ramsdale.

A few years younger without Ramsdale's experience and having had 'knee' problems....Cooper would be below £10million....and maybe nearer £7million.

16. notDistantGreen

Ramsdale had a really good spell in the Arsenal side and was felt by several pundits to have been unlucky to lose his place, so he has a good recent pedigree at Premier League top-six level.

You do wonder sometimes whether EPL clubs know there are English keepers out there. ManU paid £45m plus add-ons for Onana and if you ask me is a bloody liability.

17. notDistantGreen

You do wonder sometimes if EPL clubs know English keepers exist.

Take Onana at ManU, a complete liability if you ask me. Courtesy of Wikipedia:

After discussions with the club through the month,[26] on 16 July 2023 it was reported that Onana had agreed personal terms with Manchester United for a five-year contract.[27] Manchester United confirmed the transfer on 20 July, for an initial £43.8 million fee with Inter for the transfer of Onana, with a potential £3.4 million in add-ons, which saw Onana rejoin his former Ajax coach, Erik ten Hag.[28][29]

Onana made his competitive debut for the club in the Premier League opener against Wolverhampton Wanderers. He kept a clean sheet as United won the game 1–0,[30] but was at the centre of controversy after referee Simon Hooper and VAR Michael Salisbury opted not to award a late penalty for a foul by Onana on Saša Kalajdžić.[31] On 20 September, following a 4–3 defeat against Bayern Munich in the Champions League opening fixture, Onana said he had "let the team down" following mistakes during the match.[32] He was then described by journalist Guillem Balague as "not the perfect goalkeeper but good enough for Manchester United".[33] Ten Hag later said that Onana should be inspired by Manchester United's legendary goalkeepers Peter Schmeichel and David de Gea.[34]

On 24 October 2023, he saved a penalty in the 97th minute in a Champions League match which ended in a 1–0 victory against Copenhagen, leading to his club's first win in the competition that season.[35][36]

A month later, Onana was heavily criticised for his performance in a 3–3 Champions League draw against Galatasaray; he was directly blamed for Galatasaray's first two goals, which came from former Ajax teammate Hakim Ziyech free kicks. The BBC called it "a night of suffering for Onana", who "produced a horror show to undermine much of United's good work", while the Manchester Evening News declared he "carelessly conceded" the first Galatasaray goal, "catastrophically fumbled" the second and "too easily beaten" for the third.[37][38][39] He was defended by manager Erik ten Hag, who opined that Onana's stats showed him to be the second-best goalkeeper in the Premier League.[40]"

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

So we now know that if Cooper moves this summer it will not be to Schumacher's Stoke.

They have brought in Rotherham keeper Viktor Johansson on an undisclosed 3yr contract.

At least they know that Johansson has a strong back ...having picked the ball out of the net 89 times ...more than any other Championship keeper.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Congratulations to ex-Argyle player Klaidi Lolos for helping Crawley win the Div 2 Wembley final 2-0 against Crewe.

Crawley finished 7th in League Two....just sneaking into the last play-off spot by 1pt.

Lolos played for 93 minutes....the match lasted 90+14 minutes.

The team was basically assembled from players who had been seen as mis-fits in other club set-ups....unable generally to get any playing time.

They now have a manager...Scott Lindsey 52 yrs old... that will be of interest to other clubs.
    He spent 22 yrs playing non-league football and has managed at Swindon and Lincoln among others before arriving at Crawley and building a team from mis-fits....brilliant....a real dream story.

20. notDistantGreen

Season ticket details are out.

upload_2024-5-20_14-56-24.png
    Quite large increases for adults and OAP's compared to what we've seen in recent years (I think, aren't they Sensible?) but considering the cumulative inflation of costs since 2021, it's hardly surprising.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.