1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Saints Stuff

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Oct 13, 2015.

1. ----HistoryRepeating----

----HistoryRepeating---- Well-Known Member

We really upset him, didn't we! <bubbly>

2. ----HistoryRepeating----

(Stephen Dobbie the house elf got his revenge though) :(

3. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Always disliked the toe rag .....hate the way the media fawn over him.

4. ----HistoryRepeating----

Yeah, never got the bumpkin badger love in. He was a saw loser, and it showed.

5. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Libby and San Tejón like this.
  6. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

You’re right of course. I suppose that makes it a giant killing then!

fatletiss likes this.
  7. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

I love a scapegoat as much as anyone, but the Shane-hate needs to be given a rest. He doesn't pick the team, and he doesn't decide who we buy and sell. With good players around him he can do a job, and with faff around him he is crap (a lot of strikers are like that). We get it. But it's not even slightly down to him that we are in such a precarious position.

Literally some of the posters on here take any opportunity to have a swipe at him.

Interesting fact: Long was voted Daily Echo Player of the Season 3 years ago. Congratulations Shane! <applause>

8. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

A turd is still a turd though.

This is a forum Black, it’s where people post opinions.

Shane is a bit **** cos he’s a bit ****. Not because others around him are also a bit ****.

Ings has scored a few. He plays in the same team.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting Long picks the team, but he was barely good enough 3 years ago, and as Schad mentioned he isn’t doing those same things to the same level.

Literally some of the posters on here take any opportunity to take a swipe at other posters :emoticon-0105-wink:

Osvaldorama and SaintinNZ like this.
  9. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Everyone is entitled to an opinion......it is not unusual for one person to see something in a player that another doesn’t. On a football forum is the place to air those views. It usually isn’t personal just a difference of opinion. Some adore Shane some don’t. So come on guys let’s not make it personal.

10. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

11. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Cedric on the bench for Inter against Sampdoria after playing their Europey midweek match. Gabbiadini came on as a sub and almost instantly equalized, though Inter retook the lead shortly thereafter.

12. ----HistoryRepeating----

Saints could have a 3 week hiatus between games

----------------

Great news! We might have Ings available for consecutive games!

13. fran-MLs little camera

14. I Sorry I Ruined The Party

I Sorry I Ruined The Party Well-Known Member

Well, it kind of is. We have difficulty scoring goals. Part of the reason for that is Shane Long is often playing striker, and Shane Long can't score.

The fact that we cannot find a better striker than Long, and that we are paying him too much is not Long's fault. He always gives his best and baby doing so, he offers some value to the team... just not in a starting role.

The fault is mainly on the board. But that doesn't make Long a good player. Let's not kid ourselves that Long is a perfectly good finisher and overall player only let down by bad tactics and support. Maybe you could make that claim about Gabbiadini, but we have seen Long blow way too many sitters and he has a long track record of being not very good.

The fact that Long has spent more time at Saints than Lambert is maybe not Long's fault but is nonetheless a reflection of the sad state of affairs we find ourselves in.

It's additionally concerning that recently Long has been awful at the things Long has usually been good at. I am happy for a relegation level sude like ourselves to give up say, Austin's finishing ability for a scrappy high work rate player like Long who offers more without the ball. But if Long's legs have gone, he's no good to us. And I mean if he's lost any pace at all, even if he's still fairly fast overall.

You're right that it does no good just screaming about how Long sucks all the time. I also hate whenever players get scapegoated. At the same time, how can we discuss the team without noting that striker is a major weakness for us with Ings out, and that is because we may have to use Long?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
  15. fran-MLs little camera

16. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

17. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

You're not wrong in general mate but either quoted the wrong person or are projecting there. I was replying to the reminiscing on Rickie and how long it felt like since those days. I was underlining that with a random yard-mark about Shane that surprised me when I realised it. Just a throwaway reference to how our brain distorts time.

18. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Barely good enough 3 years ago? He was voted Player of the Season! (Yes, okay it was the Daily Echo, granted)

Long proved then that he will play better with quality around him. Comparing him to Ings is silly too. They are not competing for the striker position. Ings is undoubtedly our first choice, but he can't stay fit. Hence why Long plays. Or are we supposed to have £30 million-rated, 20 goal-a-season strikers in our reserves waiting to jump in at a moment's notice?

I recognise that he is crap - we all do. But to keep banging on about it as though nobody has noticed is just tiring.

That said, I will continue to make jokes about him.

19. Dark Lord SFC

Dark Lord SFC Well-Known Member

Now Obafemi is fit, maybe he will be given a run in the first team between Danny’s regular visits to the medical room.
    He isn’t tried at this level but I would rather see him up front than Shane as we don’t know whether he can score at EPL level but we know Shane can’t

20. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member