1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP Pete Skipper

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by originallambrettaman, Apr 23, 2019.

1. highpeak tiger

highpeak tiger Well-Known Member

Very, very sad, a favorite player of mine who always gave his all
    RIP

2. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Sad news. Ironically yesterday after the game we were saying we had no characters like the old days and his name was mentioned. Someone said they had heard he was poorly, didn't envisage this though. Never missed a game for four years, fantastic for a centre back. RIP , great memories

GLP and dennisboothstash like this.
  3. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

Very sad news indeed. RIP Skip.

4. Blaknamberblood

Blaknamberblood Well-Known Member

A gentleman off the pitch and a true Tiger on it ... he was a leader of men and a nugget in the centre of the defence. Having him and McEwan in the centre of the defence with Tony Norman behind them certainly made you feel secure going into tight matches .. a true City legend RIP Skip and condolences to all of his family.

Howden Tigress likes this.
  5. Tentotwo

Tentotwo Well-Known Member

Terrible loss. Our kid new him personally and he will be really shocked at this news. Remember his overhead kick in the Cup v Fulham and of course that goal at Walsall. A gentleman,a true leader and a proper Centre half back in the days when you took no prisoners.

Condolences to his family.

R.I.P Skip

6. FLG

FLG Well-Known Member

Always remember him rising like a salmon to head home that goal at Walsall.

RIP to another of my favourite ever players.

7. City Man

City Man Well-Known Member

Shocked to hear of his premature passing this morning.

Never met him but felt like I knew him having seen him play countless matches for us. Reading the tributes paid by Brian Horton and Stan McEwan, I'm glad that the good impressions I had of him from the terraces were backed up by people who actually shared a dressing room with him.

To say he always gave 100% in no way does him justice as a player, plenty of them did and do as that's what they're paid to do. What made him special was his understated toughness (very similar to Les Mutrie in that regard), his lack of ego, his quiet air of 'they shall not pass' and the aura he gave off that no opponent fazed him or got under his skin. He didn't need to boast about his toughness or get involved in squabbles with opponents, just dealt with them quietly and no fuss, his years in the uncompromising local leagues preparing him more than adequately for most of the 'tough' opponents he would meet in league football

He came into football the slow and unconventional route - when was the last player we recruited from local club football?- and it served him well, as he never seemed up himself or distracted by the shallow footballer lifestyle.He knew what real life was outside the football bubble, and to me at least it always seemed like it was one of us up there in a City shirt, not some gilded 'star' or temperamental transfer-seeking player just passing through. The fact that he was so good at what he did and so unassuming about it ,made him all the more memorable and treasured as a City player.

Condolences to his family and friends - they can at least take comfort from the fact that he was a special player to so many people and gave so much pleasure to so many thousands of fans. .

RIP Peter Skipper.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  8. hongkongfooi

hongkongfooi Member

Maybe the chant
    He's one of our own
    He's one of our own
    Peter skipper
    He's one of our own
    Is needed

9. Citygirl

Citygirl Well-Known Member

Such shocking news , I remember Pete as a solid and reliable defender . The edge of the box header in May 1985 was Pete Skipper's extra mark on the history of our club . A goal that took us back to the 2 nd tier of English football and a goal that seems like only yesterday but one that is etched into my brain . A great memory , thank you Pete Skipper . Deepest sympathy to family and friends .

10. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

RIP Peter Skipper <rose> <peacedove>

A great player from one of my favourite City eras.

Even more heart breaking to hear today that he was up in his loft when the stroke happened, I can’t even imagine the panic that must have gone through the minds of he and his family at the time :emoticon-0106-cryin

11. DaveSpencer

DaveSpencer Member

I played cricket against Pete Skipper. I'd met a few players during the years I went to City but I did something I'd never done before, I approached him, shook his hand and thanked him for all the pleasure he had given me watching him during his time at City. His response was typically (from reading the comments on here) humble and he came across as a really nice, straightforward man. As some have said, a gentleman. That was quite a few years ago and I have never forgotten it.
    RIP Pete Skipper.

12. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

13. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

14. philhul

philhul Well-Known Member

Funeral Thursday morning at Chants Ave crematorium and wake at the Kingston Suite at the KC. Club putting on food for free.

60-70 ex-players turning up at the KC on Sunday. Looks like teams plating in black shirts

15. City Man

Not sure about the precedent of playing in the black strip, it puts a marker in the sand for future sad events of this type, of which unfortunately there will be quite a few.

Well done to whoever has got the wake back at City - was it Pete's family? . Would be great to think it's the club themselves, and somehow they are taking ownership of the importance of their own past.

Anyone know whose idea it was?

BrisbaneTiger likes this.
  16. Kempton

Kempton Well-Known Member

I don't care whose idea it was. I'll just be there on Sunday.

Howden Tigress and BrisbaneTiger like this.
  17. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

There aren't all that many players who'll qualify for a show of respect like this and I think it's a great idea.

Unlike other ex-players that we've lost, Skip still worked at the club and knows everyone who currently works there, so it's not surprising that they're allowing club facilities to be used.

18. philhul

philhul Well-Known Member

It was the club

19. City Man

Splendid.

Hopefully his family will be guests of honour at the club against Bristol and left in no doubt about the esteem PS was held in by one and all.

dennisboothstash likes this.
  20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Hull City will honour the life of former defender Pete Skipper ahead of Sunday’s Championship clash at home to Bristol City.

The Hull-born centre-back, who made 338 appearances for his hometown club, died last week at the age of 61 and this weekend’s fixture at the KCOM Stadium will see his passing recognised in fitting style.

A minute of applause will precede kick-off, while a host of Skipper’s former team-mates have been invited to form a guard of honour for the two teams when they emerge from the tunnel.

City’s players will warm-up wearing t-shirts carrying Skipper’s name and the two-time promotion-winner will feature on the front cover of the matchday programme.

Skipper’s family have also been invited to Sunday’s game as guests of the club.

The former defender, who had continued to work for City as part of the matchday hospitality team, died suddenly on Easter Monday.