1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

RIP Charlie Crickmore

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Tigergazza, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Tigergazza

Tigergazza Active Member

sad to hear of Charlie’s passing, nice bloke put a lot back into grass roots reffing Hull Sunday League for years

Newland Tiger and southerntiger like this.
  2. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I think I might know who you mean. I remember a ref from when I was about 15/16, called Charlie who a lot of people knew of and were pleased when he was reffing our game. I didn't understand how he was so well known. He was an old bloke then but it's only about 10 years ago.

kirkellatiger likes this.
  3. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Very sad (it was discussed on the RIP thread)

I'm old enough to remember him running touch for Gareth Robert's testimonial

4. The B&S Fanclub

The B&S Fanclub Well-Known Member

Saw him playing for Norwich at BP..in about 68....Think we lost 2-0 or 2-1.. Decent winger

5. southerntiger

southerntiger Well-Known Member

I think he became a fireman and played for the firemens team in the Hull Thursday league.

6. southerntiger

southerntiger Well-Known Member

7. HullPPG

HullPPG Active Member

He refereed many of my games that I played during the 80s and 90s a top bloke Rip Mr Crickmore

8. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

9. Godrevy Buoy

Godrevy Buoy Well-Known Member

Rest in peace Charlie. Top player and a great referee. Always an entertaining fellow to talk to. Never a big headed, I was an ex pro guy. Will be speeding down the left wing up there now.

10. C'mon ref

C'mon ref Well-Known Member

He was indeed DB, I also saw him run rings round us at Carrow Road, we lost that one as well if I remember, just can't remember the year.

11. C'mon ref

img042.jpg

A picture Jimmy Lodge gave to me after I had sneaked into BP to watch a training session. As you can see I also collected autographs as well. As far as I can remember:

Sat down Dave King.
    Front row: Gus MacLean (I think, trainer) Andy Davidson, Charlie Crickmore, Les Collinson, Paul Feasey, Brian Bulless, Jackie Sewell, Ralph Gubbins, Duggie Clark.
    At the back: Roy Shiner and Bernard Fisher.

RIP Charlie, met a few times and I still have the football programmes you gave me from your collection, thanks for putting up with a pesky kid who kept asking you for the programmes every time I saw you on Hessle Road when going to my grans house.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  12. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

That was an incredible squad, which remained largely unchanged for several seasons. It’s a period when we debuted no more than 2-3 new players most seasons.

13. tigerscanada

tigerscanada Well-Known Member

Isn't Bill Bradbury missing from that snap ? Thought he was a part of that squad ?
    Billy Bly too, or had he hung up his boots by then ?

14. C'mon ref

With Bernard Fisher being in the picture maybe Billy Bly had hung up his boots by this time TC, as for Bill Bradbury not sure if he was still around either, bare in mind I was only a young lad at this point and City had signed both Jackie Sewell and Roy Shiner which, if I remember right were regarded as big time players. They were both well past their prime, but again, without checking (Google) I think they were both ex - England players at one time.

tigerscanada likes this.
  15. C'mon ref

That seemed to be the case back then Al, I have another pictures with Dudley Price in it, he seemed to be from this era although not on this picture.

16. tigerscanada

Quick check of Wiki suggests all 4 of them (Bly, Bradbury, Sewell & Shiner) were all there in 1959, with Billy Bly retiring in '59 and Bill Bradbury going to Bury sometime in '60. From that, I'd guess your photo must have been taken in '60 sometime...either that or the 2 Billie's were injured when the photo was taken.
    Bill Bradbury, to me, was one of the most entertaining footballers I've ever seen - quite a comedian, but very talented.
    Sewell definitely played for England, but Roy Shiner never did. They overlapped very briefly at Sheff Wednesday in the mid-50's. You're correct, both passed their prime when City signed them. Never forget Shiner's debut at B.P. Green Sports Mail's headline that Saturday night was; "This Roy's a Real Shiner !". He'd scored a brace.:emoticon-0100-smile

C'mon ref likes this.
  17. look_back_in_amber

look_back_in_amber Well-Known Member

Thanks for the photo, I work with Brian Bulless’s son, I’ll pass it on to him.

tigerscanada and C'mon ref like this.
  18. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

He did

19. C'mon ref

Yes TC I remember the Sheffield Wednesday connection and for some reason I seem to think there was also a link to the 3 Sheffield players who played for England at the time and got banned for life, bribes I think it was.

20. tigerscanada

The 3 Sheff Wed players involved in the match-fixing scandal were David "Bronco" Layne, John Kay and Peter Swan.
    They were convicted in '64 received gaol sentences, banned from football for life, though the offences took place in late '62.
    Note: Must add, to keep the record straight, the Peter Swan involved was not the Peter Swan who played for City and commentates with Burnsey on Radio Humberside.

C'mon ref and Newland Tiger like this.