1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Relegation rival watch

Discussion in 'Bristol Rovers' started by Captain Jack Sparrow, Feb 16, 2019.

1. old timer

old timer Well-Known Member

Fixtures 27 / 4
    Wimbledon v Wycombe, Scunthorpe v Bradford, Stanley v Shrewsbury, Rochdale v Southend. Walsall v Peterborough, Accrington v Plymouth

Fixtures 4 / 5
    Charlton v Rochdale, Plymouth v Scunthorpe, Southend v Sunderland, Wycombe v Fleetwood, Bradford v Wimbledon, Shrewsbury v Walsall

2. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

I think we will lose both our remaining games.

So....

Will Shrewsbury get the 1 point they need to overtake us? They have to play Coventry A and Walsall H.
    I think Shrews will get at least a point so they will catch us.

Will Wycombe get the 1 point they need to overtake us? They have to play Wimbledon A and Fleetwood H.
    If Wycombe beat Wimbledon then Wimbledon cannot catch us.
    I think Wycombe will get at least a point so they will catch us.

Will Southend get the 4 points they need to overtake us? They have to play Rochdale A and Sunderland H.
    I don't think Southend will get anything from the Sunderland game so they can't catch us.

Will Plymouth get the 4 points they need to overtake us? They have to play Accrington A and Scunthorpe H.
    Plymouth are on awful form. They haven't won in their last 7 games, losing their last 4 games in a row and only scoring 1 goal in these 4 games.
    Although on paper both Accy and Scunny are winnable, with their form, I don't think Plymouth will get 4 points so I think they won't catch us.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Will Wimbledon get the 6 points they need to overtake us? They have to play Wycombe H and Bradford A.
    Wimbledon have lost just 2 of their last 13 games, winning 6 of them. They are undefeated in their last 5 games.
    This is a tricky one. Their form is very good and Wycombe and Bradford are winnable games. I really don't know with this one to predict it.

Will Scunthorpe get the 6 points they need to overtake us? They have to play Bradford H and Plymouth A.
    Again on paper Bradford and Plymouth are both winnable games and both on terrible form.
    But Scunthorpe haven't won in their last 7 games either. I really don't know with this one to predict it.

We know Bradford are relegated. I think Walsall will be relegated this weekend.

With all of my above predictions, I believe the remaining 2 relegation slots will be filled from either Southend, Plymouth, Wimbledon and Scunthorpe.

• I think Wimbledon will have enough about them to stay up. Just 1 win will be enough for them.
    • If Southend can beat Rochdale then they will be safe too. I don't think a draw will be enough.
    • On current form, Plymouth and Scunthorpe should be joining Bradford and Walsall in my opinion. But as they play each other on the last game of the season, the winner I feel will survive and the loser will go down. A draw could see them both go down.
    • I think Southend will go down along with whoever loses between Plymouth and Scunthorpe on the final day, unless Plymouth/Scunny draw which will save Southend and both Plymouth/Scunny will be sharing a relegation party on the final day come full time.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  3. old timer

We could beat Fleetwood this week and save all the worry after all we are playing better away from home than we are at home

4. Gastronomic

Gastronomic Well-Known Member

We might get something from Fleetwood. Barnsley have too much to lose and I think we could be in for a hammering unless we put the shutters up.

5. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

SAFE ! With one game left, why do I feel that the Gloucester Road will be invaded by the Yorkies next Saturday as they are not all going to get a ticket.

6. old timer

Plymouth v Scunthorpe could be a tense game

7. old timer

Bye, bye Yeovil

Orient promoted

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  8. GreatWesternGas

GreatWesternGas Well-Known Member

Wow, I'm not sorry that's over! This has been a horrendous season and I can't ever remember disliking a football season so much as I have this one. We seem to have stumbled from setback to disaster since the start, with various upsets thrown in for good measure. The bloke on the tele said it was really exciting for fans with teams involved in promotion or relegation fights as the number of games runs down - well I can assure him that it isn't exciting, it's bloody worrying! Looking at other results every week is no way to spend your time, working out permutations and possible implications etc. To be safe with a game to go is pretty amazing considering where we were a few months ago, and I am mightily relieved it doesn't hinge on the Barnsley game. Fair play to GC, I was very dubious he would be able to turn things around sufficiently, but I'm very happy to be proved wrong. God willing, the club will learn from this season, and we wont find ourselves in a similar position next year, but as this is Bristol Rovers we are talking about, I wont hold my breath! At least we are in a better place than Bolton or Yeovil and who would want to be a Plymouth supporter this season? Lets enjoy next Saturday with no pressure for a change, and look forward to better times ahead.

9. Gastronomic

Plymouth can stay up if they win that one, because Southend have got Sunderland. Could be Southend for the drop, although Plymouth's form's terrible.

10. Gastronomic

The second half of the season has been pretty good really, an if w'd started the season as well as the time unde GC we would have been knocking on the door for the playoffs. I hope GC is sensible with who he hangs onto and let's go because there are some good players to build a team around. A few of the old guard will probably go, particularly the ones who haven't got a game recently. I think Bonham should be the first signing, because he's shown just how important it is to have someone decent between the sticks.

old timer and GreatWesternGas like this.

11. old timer

17 clean sheets this season from a side that has struggled. If JCH had been signed instead of Payne we might well have been pushing for a playoff postion

12. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Doesnt really matter now to us apart from seeing who will be in our league next season.

24th Bradford vs 19th Wimbledon.
    Bradford ARE already relegated.
    If Wimbledon win they WILL be safe.
    If Wimbledon draw they WILL be safe.
    If Wimbledon lose, they WILL be relegated ONLY if Southend win AND Walsall win AND Plymouth win.

21st Plymouth vs 23rd Scunthorpe.
    The loser WILL be relegated.
    A draw WILL see Scunthorpe relegated.
    A draw COULD see Plymouth relegated too, IF Walsall win their game.
    If Scunthorpe win then they could still be relegated IF EITHER Walsall OR Southend win their games.
    If Plymouth win then they could still be relegated IF BOTH Southend AND Wimbledon win their games.

20th Southend vs Sunderland.
    If Southend win, they WILL be safe.
    If Southend draw, they WILL be relegated IF EITHER Scunthorpe, Plymouth OR Walsall win their games.
    If Southend lose, they WILL be relegated because whatever the result in the Plymouth/Scunthorpe game will see one overtake Southend.

Shrewsbury vs 22nd Walsall.
    If Walsall lose they WILL be relegated.
    If Walsall draw they WILL be relegated.
    If Walsall win then they WILL be safe BUT will need Plymouth to draw or lose AND will need Southend to lose AND will need Wimbledon to lose.

I think Southend wont get anything from Sunderland so will be relegated along with Bradford.
    I think Wimbledon will get enough to be safe against Bradford.
    That leaves 2 teams to be relegated from remaining 3 teams Plymouth, Scunthorpe and Walsall.
    That means...
    If Plymouth win they will be safe regardless of the Walsall result.
    If Plymouth/Scunthorpe draw they both will go down IF Walsall win. IF Walsall draw or lose then Plymouth will be safe.
    If Scunthorpe win they will be safe IF Walsall draw or lose.
    Its too tricky to predict but Plymouth has the advantage as being the home club and has the extra point meaning a draw could be enough to survive.

Delsy likes this.
  13. old timer

Barnsley promoted when Sunderland and Portsmouth both lost tonight

14. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Called it way back when. 48 points would be safe and just look at the league now. Told you you would be safe but then again I thought we would be ok as well. If ever a club in it's history has managed to fill a relegation spot when available then it's mine. I have no faith in the result this Saturday even if it is at home. I will sit in my seat in dread at the inevitable. Not as if it's the first time in my support history so Oh well what will be will be.

15. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

The Saddlers and The Iron for the drop, or that's how it looks to me ' on paoer'
    I reckon that you are going to be Ok, my lolly is on The Saddlers and The Iron to be joining in with the relegation party.

16. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

Makes Saturday's evening kick off even more of a 'Dead Rubber ' now :(

17. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

Im sure during your game there will be many twists and turns in those 90 minutes.

Sunderland should really be beating Southend which will help you. But as they just missed out on an automatic spot so now will be competing in the play offs. So for the Southend game, they may rest their better players to keep them safe and refreshed ready for the play off, which may not be so good for you.

Walsall could beat Shrewsbury who coud be playing fringe players to see if they can still offer their club anything for next season. That could give Walsall the advantage.

I think there will be twists and turns in those games too. I wont be at all surprised if a crucial goal in added time for 1 club that will make the difference.

You might want to stop biting your finger nails to save them for Saturday <ok>

18. old timer

As there is nothing at stake for either club on Saturday I would like to see us playing players like Kilgour, Russe from the start, then we can find out a little more about their capabilities

Captain Jack Sparrow likes this.
  19. Delsy

Delsy Active Member

I suppose you could argue that The Tykes could still be crowned champions of the league if they beat us but it is hard to see Luton Town slipping up at home to the 'U's'.
    I would expect the manager to blood a few of the fringe players in this game, whether or not it will help their development going up against a championship club is open for debate though.

20. Captain Jack Sparrow

Forum Moderator

If we start some fringe players or youngsters, to give them a chance to prove their worth, then I hope the other 1st teamers involved are not in holiday mode already but perform at a high standard to be fair to the youngsters.