1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rate The Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saintmagic, Aug 10, 2018.

?

Far too early rating out of 10?

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

1.5%
  3. 3

2.9%
  4. 4

4.4%
  5. 5

10.3%
  6. 6

20.6%
  7. 7

41.2%
  8. 8

14.7%
  9. 9

2.9%
  10. 10

1.5%
  1. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

But you never enjoy a single moment that way because you're always expecting it to blow up!.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    fatletiss and Archers Road like this.
  2. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

Yes the heady heights of 14th aren't beyond us this year I feel. We will of course need some luck and hope other teams **** up more than us, but it is an achievable target.

3. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

I used to feel like I supported the best team going. When I was a kid I loved the backs to the wall football. MLT's genius was something special. Then we had the Journey back up the leagues, the black box, the insightful manager choices. Now, I can't help but compare. No magician who loves the club to make up for the rest of the turgid football. No forward thinking choices to make me proud of the Southmpton Way. Meh. I support Saints because I support Saints now, but in all honesty I usually get more joy from my son's under 9s matches.

SaintinNZ likes this.
  4. Saintmagic

Or you enjoy it more because you are expecting anything good that happens to turn bad at any moment?

5. Saints_Alive

Nope, never understood that logic, hope for Saints is everything to me if I lost that I would probably watch Sholing FC each week, even in the dark days of ten years ago I was hopeful of better things and they arrived through Markus.

6. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Surely you are constantly disappointed in advance. I really couldn't handle being a pessimist :eek:

You need to read some Nietzsche mate. Partly because wayching Saints would be much better by comparison and also because he understands our situation so well

He said "To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering"

He meant to say "Good times are rare, being a Saints Fan and finding a way to enjoy it is what life is all about" :emoticon-0157-sun:

7. shoot_spiderman

I have literally no idea whatsoever how this works. Doesn't it turn you into a mental wreck?

You should jump off a mountain in the sure knowledge that the view would be improved by the certainty that you will definitely hit the ground very hard at some point
    Or am I still not getting it?

8. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

I am a positive poster and like to believe the best.....then why am I a wreck when watching a game? I didn't used to be like this and I've watched us through some good and some bad years and through relegations. What I need is a run of wins...that should do it. :)

manxsaint likes this.
  9. Saintmagic

Or going in optimistic and then disappointed if it goes wrong. There is nowhere to go but up if your expectations are low.

Don't know much of Nietzsche, what I do know of him makes me come across as the happiest happy clapper about

10. shoot_spiderman

Ah well, us optimists get to be happy before the game and then if it's goes well then we stay happy and if it's doesn't then we get disappointed for a while and then start thinking about the next game and get happy again. Sometimes we even think that a loss is a good thing because you learn more from your mistakes! Oh and sometimes we go in thinking we are going to lose, a bit like a pessimist, but are optimistic about a loss being ok. Then we get the best of both worlds <laugh>

As for Nietzsche, its all relative. He was around in a time when there was a choice between Theism, where you were miserable and got your reward in Heaven and Nihilism where God was dead and everything was pointless. So his own view of life being about finding meaning in struggle was relatively optimistic compared to the other options. He may not have been a barrel of laughs down the pub though, no :emoticon-0126-nerd:

Now let's hope there aren't any experts around :bandit:

He did have a great moustache though ...

please log in to view this image

11. shoot_spiderman

In the interests of science I think you should test out the pessimistic approach for the next game and let us know how it goes :emoticon-0126-nerd:

12. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Nietzsche’s philosophy was summed up by his efforts to eat soup.

Saints_Alive likes this.
  13. Saints_Alive

It's not as if the past 9 years or so have even been bad for Saints fans, last season was **** for sure but the previous 8 saw a JPT, successive promotions, 4 consecutive top 8 finishes including 2 EL qualifications, an EFL cup final and even last season we reached the FA Cup S/F. The vast majority of clubs of our size would see that as success but for some Saints fans that is not enough, unless we are knocking on the door of the CL every season then everything has been crap.

Libby and Archers Road like this.
  14. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

No one has claimed that past seasons were bad, though. Most of the concern owes to the expectation that future seasons will be bad, largely because we stopped following the model that allowed those good seasons previous.

......loading...... likes this.
  15. Saints_Alive

I was referring more to Magic's assertion that it is better to have low expections because Saints always live up to them.

16. shoot_spiderman

I think he was as capable of eating soup as the next man if you discount the problems of eating soup with a big hairy moustache (I know, he should have used a spoon) :rolleyes:

He was actually philosophically opposed to eating soup before a meal as he said it made your bowels and your mind sluggish :emoticon-0113-sleep

Are you recommending Magic give up soup?

btw on the actual Thread topic ...

Burnley manager Sean Dyche on the transfer window: "It's been the worst I've experienced. Even some of the big, big clubs haven't got the players they wanted.
    "We're spending pretty decent money now, if you're looking at £10m and £15m, and yet you can't scratch the surface. It's very frustrating and difficult and I'm very pleased the window is closed."

ChilcoSaint likes this.
  17. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

Don't know if that's quite what he was saying, but rather than having low expectations means that any positives are a pleasant surprise.

18. Saints_Alive

Well he must've been pleasantly suprised constantly during the Liebherr years....

19. Saintmagic

Not constantly, but yes the last 8 years or so have, in general, been good. But we are Saints so it’s obviously going to go tits up any moment now :1980_boogie_down:

20. Saintmagic

Fortunately enough I can’t stand soup.

shoot_spiderman likes this.