1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Rate The Transfer Window

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Saintmagic, Aug 10, 2018.

?

Far too early rating out of 10?

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

1.5%
  3. 3

2.9%
  4. 4

4.4%
  5. 5

10.3%
  6. 6

20.6%
  7. 7

41.2%
  8. 8

14.7%
  9. 9

2.9%
  10. 10

1.5%
  1. Saintmagic

Saintmagic Well-Known Member

So now the window has officially closed and we can see where we stand what are your thoughts (maybe slightly early as we can still sell players, but **** it) and lets do a way too early rating out of 10 for the window.

For me:

Pros: Addressed most areas we needed to.
    Managed to get at least part of some of the high earners off the books on loan

Cons: Couldn't sell/loan everyone we needed to (that may change in the coming weeks though)
    Still look weak in the creativity department after selling Tadic

I would personally give it a proper on the fence 5/10. We addressed most areas we needed help in, but in my view didn't get the best options for those areas. I'm not writing off any of the signings at this stage just would've preferred different options to Vestergaard, and Elyounoussi especially.

Not getting in another attacking mid could prove costly as we currently have Redmond, Elyounoussi, Armstrong and Sims which looks very weak to me.

But we have at least added some numbers to our weak areas so have to give them credit for addressing that. Time will tell if this was a good window or not

2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I really don’t think a window can be judged until we see the results of the actions.

We have signed players in the areas we needed to. Maybe one short in attacking/wide area. I’m neither excited or disappointed in the window because I don’t know how well the players will do. We could have signed Messi and then found out he doesn’t fit in well.

I’m more concerned about the style of play/tempo we approach games with.

3. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

I have to agree very early days yet..............Lets make decisions like this after 6 /8 games.......

4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Without seeing how it works out, I would give it a 7. Players that came in look good and I think the team overall looks competitive. Shame to lose Tadic but from his POV it was probably time.

5. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

As said above, too many unknowns still, and we need the new players to bed in before judging the window. Let’s revisit this in a month or so!

6. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

6.23/10 for me. We made signings in the areas we needed signings but nothing standout and I'm still not sure how well they will work as an actual team under Hughes for example its hard to see how Ely and Armstrong even get on the pitch together in a back 3. Obviously rating will go up or down based on how good the signings turn out to be.

7. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

It's obvious we don't know how things will work out at this stage but surely it's a fair question to ask about how satisfied we feel with the business done this transfer window? Before yesterday, I was feeling a little disappointed but the Ings signing has given me a bit of a lift. I've only given a 7 though because I don't get the feeling that we've signed anyone exceptional and our defense still looks crap. I may re-evaluate this after a few games.

8. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

voted 8, for me it was because we kept Berti and gabbi

9. Romsey_Saint

Romsey_Saint Well-Known Member

Plugged some of the gaps but we do not know really know with what. Armstrong looks the standout signing to date. As others have written, give it 6 to 8 games. The other unknown is Hughes, he is managing under a different set of circumstances this season. He earned the contract he has signed, but now, he too, has to deliver.

10. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

7/10 - no signing with a pulsating YouTube highlight reel to get excited about and a lack of genuine pace in the forward areas is still a weakness.
    However, I and a few others have said we just want players here with the right attitude and who want to play for the club and not see us as a stepping stone.
    If they play well then we could turn out to be a stepping stone, but I saw far too many players playing for themselves over recent seasons and as a consequence we finished below squads with a little less individual talent last term.

This new batch could prove to be a bunch of divas as well, so understand the fence sitting at this stage.

From the little I’ve seen of them, I think Gunn will prove to be the biggest success long term, but Vestergaard will be the pick for this season.

OddRiverOakWizards likes this.

11. Saintmagic

Yes we all know it is far too early to really know how well this window has gone in terms of ins/outs. But I'm sure most people have some sort of opinion on whether it has been good or bad based on the business the club has done. This poll was simply to gauge initial reactions and something we could maybe come back to and laugh when it turned out we had a great season or cry because we are West Brom

12. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

Gutted that we sold our best player, again.

Happy enough with the buys though.

7/10. A lot will depend on Hughes and his coaching staff. Can he get a tune out of what looks an unspectacular but solid squad? Time will tell.

Meanwhile, will Elyanousi and Armstrong both turn out to be ****ing brilliant, actually? Are Ings' injuries finally behind him? Our season could turn on such imponderables. We might finish 6th, or 16th. Or worse...

13. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

There are those who would have you believe a forum is the wrong place for posting opinions...

Personally, gave the window a 3. I feel we needed to dramatically improve in a few areas but ended up treading water. I don't believe the myth we have a good squad, poorly organised. I also don't yet have faith Hughes can suck much more out of this average squad. Not convinced by any of our cbs. Danny Ings drags this up from a 2.

I don't mind having lost to BMG, but the performance was so woeful, so poorly executed, so awful tactically, that I am worried. Especially on the back of that Derby defeat.

I will hopefully be wrong, but in reality can't comprehend how this could be better than a 5. I like the fact we spent £56M. It looks a lot, but it isn't even all the Tadic + VvD money. Sheesh.

14. Dell Boy

Dell Boy Well-Known Member

Its been a good window in terms of holding on to players that could have hurt us had they left ie Bert, Cedric, Lemina and Gabbi, would have liked to have kept Tadic but I can see why it was a good move for him?
    As for the players that have come in its far to early to give an opinion, but I really hope Vestergaard lives up to expectations.

15. Archers Road

Surprised you went as high as a 3 tbh <laugh>

16. ......loading......

......loading...... 25 undefeated

Hahaha!

Libby, Saints_Alive and Archers Road like this.
  17. Saintmagic

When I think about how well I think we will do this season I swing from being convinced we will be like West Brom last year to optimistically thinking we will finish about 14th. Football is fun.

18. Archers Road

Football is a sickness, a terrible, soul sucking obsession. But for me it always starts with the absolute conviction that, this time, every little thing is gonna be alright .

19. Saintmagic

Any optimism I had about football was sucked out a long long time ago. I am always convinced that we will be **** and lose virtually every game. It is a great outlook as you can never be disappointed, this is the best attitude I find when it comes to Saints

......loading...... likes this.
  20. Saints_Alive

Saints_Alive Well-Known Member

As high as 14th Magic?, that is like CL for the rest of us!...<laugh>