1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-Season

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Mantis, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Unai Emery's first game in charge ended up with an 8-0 win over Boreham Wood. Nice low key run around for some of the players and a few fringe players got their chance.

Next we play Atletico Madrid, PSG and Chelsea. Promises to be more of an interesting outing. Realistically though, I am not too bothered about results as we know how misleading they can be. Hopefully we can make it through without any injuries.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Will be good to see how we line up against proper opposition and what tactics Emery uses. Can't wait to see our new signings in action, but I'd expect the pre season games to be a mix of squad players getting some time. Would expect to see Leno, Sokratis, Lichsteiner, Torreria and Guendouzi feature at some point though <ok>

3. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

Nice to see Auba get a hatrick today. First goal was a <cracker>

8-0 not a bad way for Emery to start his Arsenal career. Hopefully we can get a similar result and scoreline against the Spuds this Season.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  4. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

Top drawer finish that <ok>

5. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Nothing like a nice thrashing to kick off the preseason with. Looks like the other games are against top drawer opposition, no easy games at all. Also will be interesting to see how new look Chelsea are under Sarri.

It's good to see us get proper preparation against a variety of opposition for the new season, rather than a money making exercise to the far East.

6. TheBear

I've been soo impressed with Aubamayang since he came in.

10 goals and 4 assist in his first 14 games - and consdider there is normally some adjustment period with the EPL.

I'm hoping Emery really sets the team up around him because I think we have a guy here who can score ALOT of goals next Season.

7. bobo_97

bobo_97 Well-Known Member

Interesting to see that Auba starts on the left and Lacazette in the middle. People argue Auba should be in the middle but I disagree. Lacazette is better in small spaces and more clinical in his finish - expecting more goals from him this season. I suspect this is the way will start the season.

I also love the fact all focus seems to be on Auba which allows Lacazette AND mhyki to do their thing. Normally they would be center of attention even if they don't really want it (except when they score goals). They are not "zlatan" types who demands the attention. So overall the balance is good when it comes to pressure I believe.

NLDISRED likes this.
  8. TheBear

Not for me. Auba is very opportunistic - he gets ALOT of tap-ins. I would say he's more clinical than Laca in the box. (he's also a better all rounder and more creative) Needs to be down the middle IMO. When you look at Aubamyangs career it didnt really take off until he was played down the middle.

I would be interested to see if Emery can play both up top.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
  9. NLDISRED

NLDISRED Active Member

I'd like to see us play lacazette as a SS hybrid of a #10 with ozil and micktaryan either side

10. TheBear

Yeah I was thinking about this too. Without the ball he can tuck into the no.10 position and when we have the ball he can join Auba up front.

Be interesting to see what Emery does. He had a very fluid front three at PSG.

11. bobo_97

Yesterday he got a tap in as well whilst playing on the left. He gets more space from the left and can use his space.

But let's see :)

12. bobo_97

Guess Lacazette wish he had stayed in Lyon one more season after seeing France winning the World Cup!

13. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Leno had his first Arsenal game today. 10-0 win over Crawley. Similar to the previous match. Lots of first teamers got minutes. Looking forward to the more intense pre season fixtures. I think we will do well.

14. white_gunner

white_gunner Well-Known Member

I wonder if we will have an advantage with so many first team players having had the summer off? Spurs had practically their whole starting 11 playing until last weekend. City, did as well.

Surely the likes of aubameyang lacazette bellerin Ramsey etc etc will all come back refreshed.

15. lazarus20000

All of our squad should be back or close to being back. We had no players in the later stages of the world cup so need no extended leave.

16. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Only Welbeck, who hardly featured (or didn't feature at all?). So I'd expect us to hit the ground running with a refreshed squad. Torreira and any other new signings that arrive should perhaps be given some time to bed in.

17. cini65

cini65 Well-Known Member

Anyone seen the pictures of Cech after a few weeks of Emery training?! :emoticon-0165-muscl

TheBear likes this.
  18. lazarus20000

I guess Welbeck needs to give his ass a rest from all that sitting on the bench. He should be the first guy on that pitch from his Russia return. The guy has hardly played any football for over a year.

19. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Currently 1-0 down to Atletico in Singapore. Can't watch the game but it sounds like we've had a lot of possession and not many chances. Atletico scored with their first attempt on target. SMH.

20. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

1-1 at FT. Lost on penalties (if it matters). Emile Rowe-Smith the goalscorer. Lots of changes in the second half. Difficult to judge players after one game. Guendouzi looks assured.