1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Pre-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Jul 18, 2018.

1. You're being kind!! <laugh>
    I actually thought the kit with blue shorts wasn't too bad - but with white it's feckin' terrible!! <grr>

It's like they never actually considered what it would look like beforehand! <doh>

2. Blue and White

Blue and White Well-Known Member

T.O.B is also back in London seeing the club doctor

3. Roo

Roo Well-Known Member

I genuinely don’t think they did!
    The kit release in general has been an absolute mess this summer. More so than previously.
    It’s been available all over the world in various sports shops, weeks before us or Nike officially released it.

Last night was another oversight with the GK kit, too. There’s been no imagery of it anywhere, as it hasn’t been released yet. But clearly no one thought about the fact that the recently available home GK kit would clash with Barca’s kit, so we had to wear the one Gazza had on last night.

“Oh by the way spurs fans, our other goalkeeper kit is orange! Not how we wanted to release it, but meh.” <laugh>

4. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

<laugh>

5. Lovearsenalcock

Lovearsenalcock Homeboy
    Forum Moderator

For me the squad players show the same frailties they show during the season. We need to add quality to the bench

See this every pre season.

Spur of the Moment and Roo like this.
  6. redwhiteandermblue

redwhiteandermblue Well-Known Member

I thought the players showed character to come back from 2-0...

...but our reserves playing another team's reserves doesn't tell us much.

That back four looked awful to me, and I never want to see it again. Aurier frustrates with his poor concentration and decisions. He's a talented player, but his footballing brain continues to go missing at times.

History repeated. For the second straight preseason, another club pressed us, and we didn't handle it very well. Then N'Koudou and Georgiou came on and went a certain distance to improving things. (I disagree about N'Koudou being useless, in other words, though I remember one particularly awful pass. His dribble nevertheless set up the first goal, and he scored the second.). The thing is, when a team presses, they tend to be vulnerable to dribblers. If your team is spread out forward and wide pressing the ball and taking away options, they're liable to get caught upfield if someone can dribble past the first man. In any case, if the past is any guide, we'll see neither hide nor hare of N'Koudou or Georgiou the rest of the year.

I never thought we had a chance of winning the shootout and I'll bet I wasn't the only Spurs fan to think that. In fact, our efforts ranged from decent to good, and theirs from good (1-2) to nearly perfect (3-4).

Both Gazzaniga (Gazinga!) and Vorm played well.

I've gotten to rate Sissoko as a defensive CM. In any case, I thought the last thing we needed was to lose another CM to injury...except Amos and Skip both looked pretty good, and Amos may be able to seize the opportunity. The nature of things is that youth players may only get a chance to break into the team due to desperation.

What's going on with all the injuries? Have the players taken up alligator wrestling?

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  7. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

With blue shorts it looks like they have long legs and tiny bodies.

Worst home kit I’ve seen Spurs have. The collar is awful too.

remembercolinlee and Roo like this.
  8. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

What a strange and largely pointless pre-season from a playing perspective.
    Umpteen players rested after the WC and transfers being the main focus for most clubs given the early closure of the window.
    So many players missing it's ridiculous.

9. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

I'm still convinced that the main reason why GKN is at the club is to appease FIFA players, because when you need a pacy option off the bench with ten minutes to go he's pretty damn useful for that...

Also, because you demanded it (presumably) here's the Oliver Skipp supercut: chillhop edition

Last edited: Jul 29, 2018
  10. Spurm

Spurm Well-Known Member

I watched it, although at a much more reasonable 10pm.

I'd add to this that i saw no difference in Llorente's performance after he went off. In the first half i asked "has Llorente touched the ball this half" to which the consensus was "no". Then in the 2nd half i asked again only to be told he wasn't even on the pitch

11. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

Young side tonight

Vorm, Walker-Peters, Sanchez, Eyoma, Georgiou, Skipp, Marsh, Amos, Lucas, Nkoudou, Llorente,

Whiteman, Gazaniga, Eriksen, Davies, Carter-Vickers, Aurier, Son.

12. deedub93

Plenty of possession, no penetration, sounds familiar. Llorentes' first touch lets him down with his one and only chance, sounds familiar. An isolated figure.

Georgiou excellent, Lucas and Walker-Peters look good. But 0-0 HT.

Get in GKN!!!!

13. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

GK with a ****ing rocket!

14. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Skipp not been as involved as he was in the game against Barca but it’s clear to see this lad is a special talent.

Georgiou lively down the left but being torn a new one by Suso when on the back foot. Not his natural position though.

Lucas made some nice runs but has tried doing a bit too much at times and getting tackled.

Amos and Marsh also holding their own against a much more experienced Milan side.

redwhiteandermblue likes this.
  15. deedub93

Sanchez injured at the last knockings? Bloody hope not.

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

Young lads done really well in the end against a much more experienced Milan side. GK’s rocket sealed the win.

Amos was excellent in the second half, probably my MOTM. He’s had a good ICC and will have done his chances of competitive first team football no harm. Best compliment I could pay him is to probably say he’s played like Kante, in that despite not being a stereotypical lump like most DMs, he covers a hell of a lot of ground and knows how to shield the ball with his body while also looking to get the ball forward. Skipp and Marsh also done themselves proud. To have a midfield three of academy players against far more experienced guys in the Milan side and more than hold their own - pre season or not - is very encouraging for the future of the club.

deedub93 likes this.
  17. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

He didn’t seem to walk too badly when he came off so I’m hoping it was just precautionary. Maybe had cramp? Or rolled his ankle when he landed after the header? Didn’t look anything too serious anyway - at least I ****ing hope not!

deedub93 likes this.
  18. humanbeingincroydon

...really?

please log in to view this image

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  19. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Not sure what 1 - 2 is supposed to signify, given the score shows as 0-0 at the time. The Chelsea badge is unforgiveable though.

20. humanbeingincroydon

Meanwhile, here's the Skipp supercut, with at least six instances where he can be compared to Scott Parker

There's also an Amos supercut from the Roma game