1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

https://www.instituteforgovernment....analysis-shows-uk-rarely-taken-european-court

Here's the full report:

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/sites/default/files/publications/IfG_Brexit_ECJ_v10FINAL web.pdf

That even undersells it: the UK's success rate of 25% from 2003-2016 dwarfs the 18% success of the Netherlands, the second-most successful long-established EU nation. There is a simple reason that most cases involving national governments are losses: if it ends up before the ECJ, it's generally because the government is in the wrong but has dug in their heels because the remedy is either politically or economically difficult.

A great many of those lost cases involved flouting environmental law, because waste treatment and the like is expensive. But waste treatment is good! It's something with enormous societal benefits! The UK will be much worse off if there isn't someone to give it a smack upside the head and tell it to stop polluting its waterways!

I mean, that report really speaks to how much of a not-problem the ECJ is for the UK: the UK is called on the carpet less than most EU countries. It resolves more of those cases in early stages than the vast majority, and consequently doesn't face ECJ judgment very often. And when it does appear, it loses less than anyone else.

And this is the reason for the UK to set itself alight?

2. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

You googled an Express headline. Did you read the article?

3. StJabbo

StJabbo Well-Known Member

The express sorry can't take that seriously. What cases have been lost? Deservefly so? Schad's detailed reply is well put and well sourced. The express, mail and other tabloid rags don't have any place in a reasoned argument.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. StJabbo

Yes indeed spot on well sourced.

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

“All Leaving the EU does...” Really? You’ve argued and argued the value of leaving, just in the belief that eventually our politicians may actually do their jobs. That’s what all this grief is about?

For all your months and years of posting article after article, telling us we’ll be better out, all your giving me is this.

I’m a bit shocked

6. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

I will be amazed if Anna soubry wins her seat again!

ImpSaint likes this.
  7. rednright

rednright Well-Known Member

Edit. We would still need procurement regulations and I'm not suggesting the sector is unregulated. All I'm saying is that this area is a good example of countries in the 'club' doing there own thing.

8. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

Not if Labour and the Lib Dems chose not to field a candidate against the Conservatives. But hey ho, Labour must field a candidate to let the Tories win the seat. Not very clever thinking.

9. The Ides of March

PS: In a previous post, I suggested that Boris Johnson's and Rees-Mogg's British citizenship should be revoked a la Begum. I should have added that I am not in favour of Begum losing her rights to being a British and EU citizen. She went to support ISIS as a child, she still is very much a child {19} so to punish her in this fashion is rather punitive. Furthermore, I do not even think she would be a threat as she would be constantly monitored if allowed back in. I would hope she could be rehabilitated through education to become a more open-minded and productive citizen, contributing positively to British culture and the economy.

10. StJabbo

Several posts ago the leavers were asked to list the benefits of brexit, similar questions have been asked across a range of social media. I've yet to see a viable, well sourced reply. Plenty of vitriol not much in the way of logical argument.

Osvaldorama and fatletiss like this.

11. The Ides of March

Have you not been reading the Gospels of Saint Boris, Saint Jacob, Saint William and Saint Nigel and put forth in the new testaments of the Telegraph, Express, Mail and the Spectator? How can you expect to enter the gates of heaven if you have not read this Truth?

12. StJabbo

Are those Sainted gospel writers known as the new gang of four?

Would those pearly gates be at UK immigration as me and my Indonesian wife come to visit from our home in The Hague? We look forward to meeting the entry requirements of a post brexit Britain. We'll bring ample supplies of hard to get expensive foodstuff (and drink) so as not to be a burden on strained resources. Oh, a thought, will our goods be subject to WTO tariffs in the new order? I wonder what the duty free allowances will be in the brave new world of the brexiteers.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  13. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Brexit seems to be emotion v logic. The two sides of the brain.

Anyone with the even slightest logic would realise the enormity of the gamble we are facing. Those that are highly emotional vote leave at all costs. That’s a big part of why nobody can agree.

Like FLT, I have tried and tried and tried to find any reasons for taking a risk with the countries financial health. Still haven’t found one that holds up to any scrutiny. Literally the only argument is “the Eu is bad”

14. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Truth is guys......"There is non so blind as those that don't want to see" That phrase really does cover both sides of the spectrum.........There is for's and against.........over this problem of Brexit. Sadly it is out of our hands now. Seemingly in the hands of a very incompetent government.........

15. fatletiss

Beddy

That’s a cop out. I’m trying to see and have asked time and time again, but none of you can give me anything. I’m not standing on any side when I ask this. I had accepted that Brexit was coming but I just wanted to lnow what the good would be.

Still nothing. I WANT TO SEE BUT NOBODY WILL SHOW ME!

It is fairly telling to me that you can’t give me what will be better.

16. fatletiss

Double post

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

An excellent find Schad. Just shows how the Leave campaign distorted the facts to suit its argument, as shown in that Express article quoted by @Beddytare.

Glancing through the full report, one thing that jumped off the page was that the involvement of the ECJ with member states, including the UK, has dropped significantly over the years. The UK received 111 letters of formal notice in 2003, but only 28 in 2016. And the UK has resolved 69% of disputes with the EU Commission at the formal notice stage, without proceeding to the “reasoned opinion” stage, and only 11% of the 753 cases since 2003 have ever actually made it to court.

Hardly counts as “meddling” does it?

18. The Ides of March

Read the Gospels of the four "saints" in my earlier post. They think they know the way to salvation. Who are we to doubt such wizened men? On the other hand there is the message from Lucifer, {Blair} that bears an alternative script.

19. Schad

Schad Well-Known Member

It's almost as if it's a resolution process specifically designed to foster cooperative decision-making, with binding court decisions being rendered only when that is impossible. Tyranny!

Archers Road and ChilcoSaint like this.
  20. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Its not a cop out Fats.......
    Fats mate there is no good answer as such or bad for that matter............All I want is for this country to make its own decisions and not be over ruled by unelected people and their cronies. I prefer us to make decisions as to who can or cannot come into the country. Thats not to say they can't be the same or similar to Europe. Just that we make them good or bad! All we get from the stay side is what they think will happen....... fair enough......You get much the same from the out side. All of us is guessing non can prove anything until it happens. A few of us have a different view is all. Perhaps I'm not the best one to argue the out argument because my reasons are very personal. Trust me when I say they are very real though........

ImpSaint likes this.