1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

2. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

And here's Trump in happier times:

No good will come of this.

Vin

3. viking saint

viking saint Well-Known Member

Especially if your a English fan at the World Cup

4. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

All I can say reading through the discussions on here that it is a bloody good job none of us are leading the country.
    We are all guessing what the combined governments know and don't know. The mis trust in the various nations is alarming!!
    Do you honestly think the cabinet want to go to war for no reason? For me I have no option to believe they are making decisions in good faith.
    What I do know though is the actions of the Ruskies during the beginning and since the end of the 2nd world war. Read your history books!! I would not trust them as far as I could throw them and these days that won't be far!!
    I don't know any more or less than any of you.............I honestly cannot see what we have to gain by inventing stories about what is going on out in Syria. I may not like the uk government in power but I would rather believe them than the Russians. The reality is we have no choice. Its a pity but not many of you have experienced the fact that if you speak against a leader you are likely to be put in jail. We do have freedom of speech the majority of the Russian people do not!!!!!!! They have no choice but to except what their leader says..........
    At least we can discuss disagree/agree sometimes though we just have to accept in the end what our leadership say.
    All I can say is god help us all but something had to be done..............

Whiteley Saint likes this.
  5. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I feel Putin will respond with an aggressive move otherwise he will lose face completely. If so, I fear Trump will respond with "fire" then we are on the brink. Get your prayer mats out and or just enjoy the weekend and let´s hope we make it through to Monday.

6. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

May´s weasel words. "We are acting together with our allies." (US and France) Why the hell can´t the UK Government follow the example set by Sweden for example, and stand back from the engagement. But no it wants the glory of war! I wonder how much today´s little sortie cost. Money that should be spent on education or health, our pensioners even.

San Tejón likes this.
  7. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Like we 'trusted' them in Iraq yeh?
    What could possibly go wrong?

Archers Road likes this.
  8. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

Btw in no way suggesting Putin isn't a gangster and Assad isn't a murderer but Saddam wasn't a good guy and the response was illegal based on a lie and more importantly wasn't a great success in bringing security to the region o_O

Number 1 Jasper and BobbyD like this.
  9. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

“Do you honestly think the cabinet want to go to war for no reason?”

In response to this question you raise, no I don’t think they want to go to war.
    If the question were:-
    Do I think a government that has always been weak and is on the verge ( if polls are accurate) of being decimated at the local elections in May, would be part of a combined, limited attack, in an attempt to appear strong, to affect the elections, then the answer would be yes.

Let’s just wait for the PMs response at the next parliament gathering, when Corbyn asks why the government pushed ahead without involving all of the MPs, when she goes down the “we are strong and you are a weak Russian sympathiser” route, just for the sound bites to be played out in the media.

10. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

The Pm did not need to go parliament.......Parliament had already backed our engagement in Syria. This was just a response to an isolated incident because of Assad's lot using Chemical weapons.
    Oh dear and to suggest the only reason we have attacked a state using chemical weapons is to make the PM look strong for the electorate..........Strewth mate you are clutching at straws you really are!!
    You obviously have faith in Corbyn.....OK each to there own.........God help this country if he ever gets into power...........In my view he hasn't got a bloody clue...........Mind you thats just my opinion.........who knows if its fact.............

Velcro Roy and Whiteley Saint like this.

11. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

Pretty sure Putin will not be able to respond, purely because there are no viable Allied targets in Syria, and any direct attack in a different location would be a act of war.
    It's one of those Damned if you do and damned if you don't situations

12. San Tejón

Not clutching at any straws.
    Bliar didn’t need to attack Iraq.
    Cameron didn’t need to bomb Libya.
    May didn’t need to bomb Syria.
    It is what PMs do when they want to appear strong.
    We’re all entitled to opinions. My opinion of the Tory Government and May is equal to yours of Corbyn.
    My belief is based on how they have governed this country.

13. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

we'll be moaning about refugees coming from Syria next!

Archers Road and Onionman like this.
  14. SaintinSerbia

P.S. my neighbour here in Serbia, Omar, is an orthopedic surgeon (from Syria)

15. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Not worried at all.

Trump gave the Russians plenty of notice - he knows he need to look tough but he can't afford to upset Putin, who has a simply startling amount of sway over Trump for various reasons (look at Seth Abramson's feed on Twitter if you want the full low-down). I bet £100 that no Russian was hurt in the raid, same as the last one. This was all done for PR purposes.

Vin

San Tejón likes this.
  16. SaintinSerbia

you really think he won't find a way to hit back?

17. SaintinSerbia

Putin is like Trump (but clever)

greensaint and VocalMinority like this.
  18. San Tejón

I did suggest a few days ago that part of me felt this whole show down was being stage managed by Trump and Putin to improve their own standing.

Onionman likes this.
  19. San Tejón

20. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Honestly, we can't win that war at this point. I was worried for a while our response would be stronger and that we would be using this a pretext to go in and try to affect the war, and imo that would just prolong it and cause more deaths. But yeah, as Johnson says it seems we are just doing the minimum to try and try to redraw the red lines and tell Putin enough is enough. Ive got a feeling Putin wont break the status quo any further either so i'm hoping this will mostly be the end of it.

Whiteley Saint likes this.