1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Yep maybe.:emoticon-0148-yes:

tiggermaster likes this.
  2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Feel for you St B. You may not feel like it, but it is always worth having a polite and friendly word with someone senior at the hospital. I'm sure they do their best, yet mistakes or errors can happen but it is how they react when that happens... letting someone know if your experience gives them an opportunity to give you a better one.

Hope it goes well for your wife.

San Tejón, greensaint and Velcro Roy like this.
  3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Archers Road likes this.
  4. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Jacob Rees-Mogg is a complete anachronism, and he is playing on it. Huge numbers of people completely fall for it though, I know a lot of them as his constituency starts only a couple of miles from where I live. They don't care about the complete **** he spouts, and why should they? He makes Boris Johnson look intelligent.

It's worth reminding people that his father, William Rees-Mogg, was intellectually a few streets ahead of poor Jacob. Though a lifelong Tory, he had a lot of liberal views and, in 1967, while editor of the Times, wrote the famous editorial "Who breaks a butterfly on a wheel?" about Mick Jagger being sentenced to prison for possessing cannabis.

5. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

My wife sees her consultant oncologist every three weeks, and I plan to raise it with him.
    It's clearly, imo, an organisational issue.
    My wife's original chemotherapy appointment was for the afternoon, but they changed it to the morning because they wanted to give her a transfusion the same day.
    I believe that no one informed the pharmacy of the appointment change, hence her fluids not being prepared in time.
    Equally, after they chose to cancel the transfusion, they didn't re-request the blood early enough, hence them having to order only after we had arrived.
    The original blood couldn't be retained long enough, for her use.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    fatletiss likes this.
  6. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Thank you Moggy, old bean. I volunteer at a food bank, and next time I'm there I'm sure we'll all feel uplifted - especially the poor sods with mental health issues who keep getting sanctioned. Sorry, I mean the ones with "temporary cash flow problems".

Funny, we used to have a Tory MP. To his great credit he used to come to the foodbank and did get it. This isn't a simple party political issue, but yes Mogg is special.

Archers Road likes this.
  7. San Tejón

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/barcodes-trialled-ballot-box-bid-11180144

Another attempt to rig the vote?

Voters being asked to produce photo ID before being allowed to vote, is fine, but before it comes into being surely the government has a duty to ensure that every eligible voter has an acceptable form of photo ID?

The government claims that ID fraud at elections has doubled during 2014/2016, yet as I understand it there were just 44 (yes forty four) claims of ID fraud last year.
    Hardly earth shattering and, unless used in the same closely fought seat, unlikely to affect the outcome of an election.

Forcing the electorate to show photo ID would, in some areas, seriously affect the outcome of an election, especially when those most likely not to have a driving licence or passport, come from the poorer groups, that would more likely vote against the Conservatives.
    It would also affect the elderly who no longer drive nor travel abroad, and who no longer possess current driving licences and/or passports. This would potentially affect the Tory vote, as the silver vote is traditionally for the Tories, but I am sure that the government have done their sums and worked out that their party would suffer less.
    It is estimated that some 3.5 million people would lose the right to vote as a result of this rule change.

8. greensaint

greensaint Well-Known Member

Mirrors what the Republicans have tried to do for years in the USA.

9. San Tejón

10. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

BobbyD likes this.

11. San Tejón

Have you seen the follow up to this?
    Her benefits are being re-instated...................but she still needs to attend a face to face interview. I kid you not!

My wife and I are on tenterhooks, at the moment, because she has to go through the process of proving, again, that she is still terminally ill, and still has a permanent disability.
    We are at the "waiting to see which side the decision will fall" stage and whether or not I will have to take her to a local Job Centre to prove that her consultant oncologist isn't lying to them about her condition.

12. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

It's disgusting. Guy I know is still waiting to get in ESA properly after a year!

13. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

Scroungers - all of 'em. ****. Must stop reading the Daily Mail.

The country's going to hell on a handcart. Surely we should be judged on how we treat the most vulnerable of our citizens.

littleDinosaurLuke likes this.
  14. San Tejón

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/sep/22/uber-licence-transport-for-london-tfl

Not the first time uber have lost licences, but the two other times (New Delhi and Austin, Texas) they came to an arrangement with the authorities and had their licence re-instated.

I am sure this will be reviewed in their favour, but hopefully with guarantees that their drivers will be better rewarded and better vetted for passenger safety (Scotland Yard claiming that uber failed to report 48 serious crimes!!!).

Those trying to get the decision overturned are basically only concerned with their own pockets. Drivers working 70 hours per week for less than minimum wage, after expenses, are just cannon fodder.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    Whiteley Saint and ImpSaint like this.
  15. San Tejón

16. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

VocalMinority likes this.
  17. VocalMinority

VocalMinority Well-Known Member

Trying to one up each other on the belligerency scale.

Its amazing how many people haven't noticed these two have the same style of government. Think i'll call it propaganda nationalism. Control the media, spout propaganda to the people about how strong your are and how the world's out to get you and punish anybody who going against the nation's (trumps) ideals. sure NKorea is a much further along. but even today trump is trying to get people fired for protesting under the guise of being un-nationalistic and not singing the anthem. And his attempts to discredit and control the media are obvious.

Then you've got even more obvious policies like border control and sovereignty..

If he controls the country for the next 50 years we will be calling it the democratic people's Republic of America.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  18. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

I believe New Zealand is the best place to live when the Nukes start flying

19. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

and Serbia's quite good in Europe :)

20. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Ah, the old, On The Beach scenario. ;)

That only works when the USA and the Soviet Union [which no longer exists] get it on. Only lasts for a few months anyway. And it's Australia anyway, but same difference.