1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 28, 2018
  2. Whiteley Saint

Whiteley Saint Well-Known Member

Don't forget
    Corbyn
    Milliband
    Abbott
    Salmond
    Basically it's not a personality/political vote (as Beefy has already said). People need to decide on the facts being presented and how it will affect them.

3. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

And as there are no facts (from both sides). I am most probably voting in.

4. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

Most people are on the internet though. Cameron is leaving soon (I think 2 or 3 yrs) whatever happens. It's why they are pushing so many crazy rules so early. They no the closer it gets to the next election they will gey ripped apart. It wouldn't surprise me if Boris's rep doesn't get hurt if he loses.

5. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

From Nick Cohen

please log in to view this image

6. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

One less Christmas card to buy then...

Archers Road likes this.
  7. - Doing The Lambert Walk

- Doing The Lambert Walk Well-Known Member

Ironic that Farage is accusing Obama of having a chip on his shoulder and failing to move on from the British Empire.

I'd level that criticism at Farage, myself.

TheSecondStain likes this.
  8. Piebacca

Piebacca Well-Known Member

Uh, yeah, Boris is right about Obama.

9. Qwerty

Qwerty Well-Known Member

Doesn't matter. This stuff gets votes.

10. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

Is the last phrase meant to be a goad? If so you've rather missed the target. Surely everyone should vote for what makes it better for one's self, whichever way that might be. Are you planning to vote "out" because you think it'll be bad for you?

I'm voting to remain because I think it will be better for me and for my children (and, not incidentally, for almost everyone in the country)

Vin

PS By the way, so we have at least some idea of whom we're talking to, I assume from the mix of your post count and the fact that your name's new to me that BobbyD is a new name for an old poster. Who were you previously?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016

11. Onionman

It does, but Betfair's odds on "remain" have dropped from 1.6 to 1.44 today. That's an increase from an implied percentage chance of 62.5% to 69% in one turbulent day. It may indeed get votes, but they may be in what Boris would regard as the wrong way. People can see when someone's being obnoxious.

Vin

12. Onionman

It's odd. I met Boris Johnson years ago (during his HIGNFY period) and had quite a chat with him. He's a very astute, knowledgeable and likeable bloke. It was instantly clear that the bumbling front was just that. I left rating him quite highly.

However, his behaviour during the referendum debate has changed my mind completely. He's shamelessly and very obviously chosen "out" for purely political reasons. I actually have time for Gove et al as they clearly have deep conviction that leaving would be good for the UK but not Johnson. I suspect many people have seen through his motivation in the same way and that he could end up harming the out campaign with his support. This article is spot on.

Vin

13. Onionman

14. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

She really gets her points across amazingly...

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
  15. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

French far-right leader Marine Le Pen to campaign for Brexit.

Marine Le Pen, the leader of France’s far-right National Front (FN) party, is planning to visit the UK in the coming weeks to campaign in favour of Britain leaving the European Union.

The FN’s head of communication, Alain Vizier, told FRANCE 24 that “while no date has been set, she will definitely be going to London”.

http://france24.com/en/20160420-french-far-right-FN-marine-le-pen-campaign-brexit-london

**** the out campaign is screwed.

Shame the out campaign has been taken over by racists. If they had actually told me a few facts and what they would do after the exit, I may have voted for them.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  16. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

There was a very good 4 part series on the BBC called "Inside Obamas white house" A couple of episodes are still remaining on iplayer, but it shows his struggles in dealing with a Republican majority congress. Basically everything he wanted to do, was blocked or watered down.
    He's such an amazing orator that it's likely he will perhaps help achieve more outside of being the president than he has as president.

Thanks for posting your video. It helped articulate the main struggle i'm having with the European Union. I have flip flopped so much on this issue in the last couple of months that i'm not sure where i'll settle come June.

My initial reaction was to remain. The EU seems to have largely been a force for good and peace is something which we should never take for granted, but as a citizen of Europe. I feel even more disconnect with the European Parliament than I do with our own. I have zero idea what an MEP does and what they campaign for and even less of an idea on the unelected members.
    This system of government is ok when things are going well, but in times of crisis you're at their mercy and as an individual you have little recourse.

17. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Yep, I saw Inside Obama's White House as well. Excellent series. The Republicans have done everything they can to deny him his reforms, even refusing to back their own strategy from when Bush was in power. He's been hamstrung by Congress, yet even so he's been an excellent President.

18. BobbyD

BobbyD President

Nope not meant as a goad. Obviously most people will vote for what they think will benefit them. Even i will concede that short term wise we would be better of Financially in the EU that not. I just think long term it would be better for us to rule ourselves than listen to the EU which i believe has privatisation on its agenda. only reason i will be voting out but i totally understand people will be worried about their jobs or income whereas i guess i'm in a more fortunate position of being able to survive for a bit longer. Any entrepeuneur i believe will be voting in as being in is an advantage to them.

I'm just a visitor as i'm normally just a regular on the premierleague board and Liverpool boards but will frequent others. In particular i'm finding the politics threads interesting. I was originally an undecided

19. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

I think I'd prefer to have this "family" and staying in the EU to having that fool Bull**** Johnson and his entourage of Fox, Redwood and their ally Farage beaming their silly smiles on the 24th if the UK decides to vote for an EU exit.

20. The Ides of March

The Ides of March Well-Known Member

You forgot to add Galloway to that horrendous list!!

Archers Road likes this.