1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Politics Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by ChilcoSaint, Feb 23, 2016.

1. AberdeenSaint

AberdeenSaint Well-Known Member

You couldn`t make it up ! The Aberdeen South tory MP was sacked recently amid man-groping allegations at the House of Commons bar. Now the Aberdeen North tory candidate has been suspended for making homophobic, anti-Semitic and Islamophobic comments !

2. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

I am hoping that Labour’s intent to compensate the WASPI women might swing a few votes, including men.
    I have already made an antagonistic comment on Facebook, asking if people will put their unexplained hatred for Corbyn before their love/friendship of a family member or friend.
    I understand that some people have other reasons to not vote for Labour, but the overriding comment I hear is “I could never vote for Corbyn” followed by no explanation, just a lot of empty and usually untrue sound bite that they have read in a paper.
    My wife is 63 and, owing to her health condition, unlikely to reach 66, (although she still continues to astound everyone with her zest for prolonging her life) so this is potentially her only chance of receiving the state pension, so I will try and shame a few into voting for her, rather than Corbyn.

3. San Tejón

I am glad that you brought that to our attention as I very much doubt that the MSM will report it.
    Apparently only Corbyn and Labour are anti- Semitic.

davecg69 likes this.
  4. tiggermaster

tiggermaster Well-Known Member

Great post. So sad for you and your wife. The broader issue is that millions don't value the NHS until they need it. How can the realpolitik address this conundrum? Scare stories appear not to work. May be comparison between the cost of NI and insurance based services broadcast in large headlines in the Grauniad, Mirror and Indie.. Followed up by the BBC and Channel 4.. Needs the right placement of evidence at the right time.

davecg69 and San Tejón like this.
  5. TheSecondStain

TheSecondStain Needs an early night

Good post. I wish your wife the highest quality of life.
    We have a global decision to make for the distant future. We might as well make the right decision now. Do we want a dystopian future, where the vast majority of people ending up living in an urban "Mad Max" existence, with no job because of automation; reduced benefits; eating through your meagre savings because the welfare state has been rolled away to pay for massive tax cuts to a few "job creators" who don't create anything but bigger personal bank balances? Or do we want that cultivated "Star Trek" world, where everyone is looked after adequately well, and the yoke of outright poverty has been taken away, allowing them to become creative and contributing citizens, and where nobody needs to be insanely well off, because there's no real advantage to being so? Only the shortest of short term thinkers will want to hoard and protect their personal lifestyle - and be less happy in the process of doing so [reports suggest strongly that even the very richest are happier when they can be relatively rich and feel guilt free, amongst a prosperous population], whilst longer term thinking is better for all, and the world which supports us. Because without that, we're all doomed.
    Voting for Tories is voting for a past which no longer exists, and was the worst option for the vast majority in any case, even way back when. Voting for the recent rudderless lot is literally making yourself and everyone else you know worse off. So, even if you only think of yourself, and not for the people around you, like your family and friends, and wider community, it's sensible not to vote for the Trumpian-like Buffoon and his cronies. And that Farage disaster, egging him on, ought to be urged to pick the most right wing state in the USA and go there to live. Because he'll be happy then, and he won't inflict his poison upon us.

6. TheSecondStain

davecg69 likes this.
  7. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Piers Morgan ripping into Nicky Morgan Tory MP.....
    Asking about the figures of the manifesto stating 50,000 more nurses when in fact it’s only 31,000 and the 20,000 more police when they took away 21,000 in the first place.

TheSecondStain and davecg69 like this.
  8. King Grimlock

King Grimlock Well-Known Member

I'm voting Lib-Dem I'm neither a day dreamer or Batshit crazy. I know this comment was made in "jest" but there is an arrogance that is growing with the left that if you don't vote labour you're some sort of soulless hateful arse. Not voting Labour is not the same as voting Tory.

9. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I agree, and I’ll be voting Lib Dem. The vital thing in this election is to defeat the Tories, or at least prevent them getting a majority. Of course I’d like to see a Labour victory, but the chances of that are slim, so I’m voting tactically, which everyone who wants the Tories out should.

10. Kaito

Kaito Well-Known Member

I think this is the correct place for this, but feel free to move it if not:

When getting to the checkout at the shop, the young girl on the till suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment. The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."
    The young girl responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations." The older lady said that she was right, our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day.

But the older lady went on to explain:

"Back then, we returned milk, fizzy drink and beer bottles to the shop. The shop then sent them back to the company to be washed and sterilised and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over, so they were recycled properly."

“Grocery shops put our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household rubbish bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags.”

“We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in shops or office building. We walked to the grocery shop and didn't climb into a car every time we had to go two streets away.”

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

“Back then we washed the baby's nappies because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 3kw every hour. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Children got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.”

“Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house, not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of Hampshire. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packed a fragile item to send in the post, we used screwed up old newspapers to protect it, not styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. And back then, we didn't use an electric or petrol mower to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.”

“We drank from tap when we were thirsty instead of using a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.”

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

“Back then, people took the bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their parents into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's 4WD, which cost what a whole house did before the “green thing." We had one electrical socket in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerised gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pub or restaurant.”

Isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we older people were, just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019

11. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Mate I'm so sorry to hear about the trauma you and your wife are going through..........................There is nothing we can say that hasn't been said by someone else in your life.........God bless you both. This kind of thing brings home does it not what real life is all about.............

12. Velcro Roy

Velcro Roy Well-Known Member

Leave a message on Tory site advising they will lose votes.Small acorns etc.

13. San Tejón

Thank you

14. TheSecondStain

My natural vote would be somewhere between traditional Liberal/Labour/Green. I shall be voting Lib Dem because they have easily the best chance of unseating the Romsey & Southampton North MP. I would love to see the Tories removed from the political landscape.

15. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

All true, and our throwaway society could certainly benefit by returning to the frugality of the past.

But we burned a lot of coal back then, didn’t we? Including in our homes, to keep warm. And we didn’t have double glazing to stop the heat escaping. We’re told the air quality in our cities is bad now, but I just about remember the pea-soupers when you couldn’t see from one side of the street to the other.

16. Beddy

Beddy Plays the percentage

Let’s not forget one thing...........a lot of the technology that is available today was not available when we were younger. The computers and mobile phones and things that everyone takes for granted today that causes pollution cannot be uninvented. Nobody knew of the consequences of petrol and Diesel engines when they were invented. We are only just getting the technology to do away with those sorts of engines. Those in their 20s and 30s now are inventing new things almost on a daily basis. They think what they are inventing will be good for the people forever. Good luck to them. However they would be wrong in thinking that things will not be invented in the future that will not make what they have invented today redundant. Then when they get into the later stages of life they too will be accused of not thinking through the inventions based on different technology. It happens every generation almost bound too.

17. San Tejón

Oops, this Tory MP forgot that he was wired up.

Schrodinger's Cat and davecg69 like this.
  18. StJabbo1

StJabbo1 Well-Known Member

Difficult to like Piers Morgan but anyone who exposes the tory bullshit to be applauded. Not just the manifesto but the years of bollocks including spaffer Johnson's record as mayor and his relationship "issues".

davecg69 likes this.
  19. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

Got to agree I don’t like Piers one bit....but however I did enjoy him making her squirm as she couldn’t answer the question.

davecg69 likes this.
  20. SaintinSerbia

SaintinSerbia Annoying Twat

Ah yes, tis true, when I was a kid we had all those things but it was my generation that slowly got rid of them! WE ARE TO BLAME!!!!