1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Been keeping an eye on the Man City game tonight. Boy what a game that appears to have been. Great one for the neutrals.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Did you watch the pundits afterwards? Scathing about Man Utd with great exchanges between Gary Neville and Roy Kean.

Neville as a frontline Sky commentator was trying to be diplomatic, saying that "that's about where they are, I'm not saying they didn't try, but that's all they have".

Discussion turned to the Man Utd RB Darmian who let Sane in for the second. Neville said "his legs had gone, he hasn't played for 3 months".

Keane just snorted and said "there's a good reason for that". !

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not to bothered about Man C or Liverpool....but if I had a preference of who wins the title...it would be any team but Liverpool.

4. Greenarmyjoe

Greenarmyjoe Well-Known Member

Spoke to GAT last night and she sends her best wishes to you all. She is no differnet .. still mad

5. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Tell her to get her arris back on here then Joe. Hope she is well and stuff.

6. notDistantGreen

Watched the 2nd half of Spurs v Ajax yesterday. What an advert for what football can be. Spurs are without half a dozen top players and they don't have a massive squad like Man City's, so their quality wasn't brilliant, but nevertheless, it was all guns blazing end to end stuff from both sides.

Although 0-1 up in an hugely important knock out tie, Ajax didn't resort to wholesale cheating, apart from their keeper who slowed goal kicks down to a slide show pace.

Perhaps aided by the absence of the usual shennanigans, the main point is that the ref, who looks dubious at first when you see his name is Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz, was brilliant. He let reasonable physical go, played the advantage to a tee, bringing play back after 30 seconds or more if necessary when no advantage accrued and generally contributed to the excitement rather than spoiling it. Can we have him at Home Park please?

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Can he score goals...that's the main thing.....covers up a multitude of other deficiencies...Oh you mean only as a ref....:rolleyes:.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Read this evening that the takeover of Bolton has collapsed and is off once again. Have to say it isn't looking good for them is it what with their apparent inability to complete the full 46 games currently. Seems it isn't certain their postponed fixture against Brentford will happen.

If they can't complete then there are pretty stark rules regarding that. What will that mean for the ups and downs from the leagues ? Is this a club about to completely implode as we have been predicting for a long while now.

9. notDistantGreen

The income difference between the top few in the PL and the rest and between the PL and the Championship and the Championship and the rest is getting bigger and bigger.

The dangers of overspending are becoming even more lethal.

I read the other day that there's a move afoot to alter the structure of the European Champions League so that there would be a core of the biggest name clubs who take part every year irrespective of where they finish in their domestic leagues. An enlarged outer ring of clubs would have to qualify and there would then be an elimination stage before they played the really big boys.

That will only make the very very rich clubs very very much richer still.

Rest assured, we'll never see the likes of Celtic or Forest as champions of Europe again!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Can't keep up with the Bolton thing. Story now is that the would be owner says he is in charge and "has" completed. If I were a Bolton fan I'm not sure I would want this bloke anywhere near my club but then again the alternative might be liquidation. Doesn't bode well for a future marriage between them all does it.

11. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

New story once more is that Bolton no longer have to play Brentford and Brentford have been awarded a 1 - 0 result. So, fixtures not completed and FA say "punishment to be decided later". No confirmation that new owner actually does own and so the saga carries on.

12. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Surely will start life in Div 1 on at least minus 10 pts ?

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Just had a thought...I know at the moment no one cares....but who is responsible for building the Ice Rink now ?.....is it still James Brent or has Simon Hallett inherited that when becoming major shareholder.

14. notDistantGreen

That will have been financed separately.

Big projects usually involve a consortium. If you look at the big boards outside a new construction site, it will often tell you who's involved, which might include

• Always the developer (Brent), whose stake will be relatively small (5% to 15%?)
    • Always a financial institution or group of financial institutions (always the biggest slice (60% to 85%)
    • Sometimes the construction company (5%?) as an investor - most large construction companies also dabble in development.
    • Sometimes the intended operating company where that's separate from the occupier (e.g. in PFI type deals) - most operating companies are associated with large construction companies
    • Sometimes the intended occupier
    • Sometimes other parties who have an interest in the outcome (e.g. local or central Government, where they have an interest in the finished article),

Without that package in place, the project won't start.

Almost always the project will be sold on once completed and in successful operation, usually to a commercial landlord or a pension fund and the original investors are paid off.

So, to answer you question, I'm sure Brent retains an interest in the ice rink, offices etc as developer, unless he's sold it on already to another developer off the drawing board, but the bulk of it will come from financial institutions, which is absolutely normal.

All that's been said suggests the club owns the land on which the grandstand is being built, that Hallett is involved only in the football club part and that (unusually) Hallett has financed the whole thing 100% by a loan to the club, which is on very beneficial terms for the club.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The weather gods I believe have got February and May mixed up this year.

This mornings walk was very cold with an icy breeze not helping matters.....and to cap it all we then had an hail storm just to keep you on your toes.

16. notDistantGreen

Glorious here today (weather wise)

17. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Plymouth has got to be lucky at something notDistant.....cloudy here....and when I got up this morning the radiators were slighty warm because the frost protection had kicked in during the night.....just checked, yes, it is the 5th of May.....generally the heating is turned off by now....but Mrs Plym unfortunately enjoys a bit of heat to get ready for the day.....too late to trade her in for a new model now.

Just checked the Home Park webcams....does look nice down there....although a little cloud developing on the horizon now I see.

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

And so the Bolton saga rumbles on with the now likelihood the purchase will collapse. There is a hearing tomorrow in the High Court by HMRC for a Winding Up Order against them and it seems not a lot of prospect of the bill of around £1.2m being paid. This is surely going to end in more than a points deduction this time. HMRC have been after a football club for a long time now and it's looking like they might get one. I shall be watching this space tomorrow.

19. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

We might get a reprieve if Bolton fold ?

20. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

How will that work Plym.