1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Stuff (anything you want to share)

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Blimey Macey looks quite good in high heels.

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Have seen the video at Birmingham today about a hundred times now. Everytime it just looks worse and worse and you just now that the Club are going to get done heavily for the actions of one complete and utter idiot. What on earth induces anyone to want to run on a pitch during a game and punch somebody? Not that he was very good at that but that isn't the point. The implications of what happened was that he could have induced a riot at the ground both during and after the match. Any charge brought should include that element and hopefully he will get a couple of years minimum. Everyone and his dog must have heard about this incident and then you get a player being pushed on the pitch by yet another supporter at Arsenal. Things do seem to be going backwards to the bad days.

3. AWAY IN BC

AWAY IN BC Well-Known Member

The Vancouver Whitecaps had 27000 for their opening game of the season.
    Other than a few drunks we don't get too much trouble as the away fans live a 6hr plane ride away..
    MLS is getting better over here.

4. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Football has always been tribal and it's the better for it in some ways.

However, things we thought we'd seen the back of are re-emerging and our club isn't immune. I've mentioned the knuckledraggers posting on social media. I see Hallett has introduced a new social media policy which will see those currently banned re-admitted but with new banning arrangements in place.

These people don't accept they can't set off incendiaries in the ground and that they can't stand where they want despite both things being banned by law and football regulations. It's not a big step from there to thinking you can invade the pitch.

The whole of society is being polarised by keyboard warriors, extremist politics, acceptance of racism, and may I say, Brexit which combines all those elements.

I see trouble ahead.....

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S9

5. notDistantGreen

I'm here watching the Brexitnvoting in the Commons. Each amendment is being blocked by special interest groups, as is May's deal.

What a clusterf**k.

Whichever side you're on, this just proves what I said at the start.

A tiny referendum majority running right across a Parliament that has a Remain majority would render the country ungovernable.

Damn you to hell David Cameron.

6. notDistantGreen

Having been out for lunch instead of the usual domestic routine, I'm watching San Marino v Scotland, with the latter 0-1 up.

The gulf in class between Scotland and England's performance on Friday is vast. It looks about the same as the difference between a top 10 English Premier League side and a bottom 10 League 2 team to be honest.

Whatever went wrong with Scottish football?

7. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Derek Adams has said before that there are Div 2 sides who could play in the Scottish top league....he's probably right.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

3 of our ex players from League 2 play for Motherwell in the Scot's Prem which just shows how right he was. The standard in Scotland is so poor it must be a pleasure to stay home on a Saturday afternoon these days. Lets face it even though Rangers were cast adrift for a few seasons there are still only 2 teams worthy of any note in their leagues and out of those 2 it is a no contest. Celtic are the only club who possibly might stay in the Prem league in England. I say might because they aren't that great either.

9. notDistantGreen

Another great performance by England last night, albeit after conceding a poor first goal.

Weak opposition I know but 10 scored and 1 conceded in the first 2 games in this group can't be bad.

The game was marred though by racist chanting from the home fans which could be heard on the TV. Will the authorities apply draconian penalties to finally put a stop to this appalling behaviour? No of course they won't. A mild slap on the wrist may follow. Or not.

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I was watching the BBC news stuff tonight about the vote to extend the leaving date to 12 April or 22 May and the votes cast were something like 540 something. It then struck me that there are another 100 or so MPs who didn't vote for one reason or another. So, what did that 100 do? I would guess it is along the lines of Abstaining so basically not having an opinion one way or another. I have to ask what that is all about. MPs are voted into Parliament to make decisions not opt out of making them. It's what they are paid for so why aren't they doing what they are paid for and voting a decision. If I had sat at my desk and told my Manager that I wasn't going to do a certain job I was being paid for because I couldn't make up my mind or be bothered then how long do you think I would have been in that job? It is just simply wrong that any of them can opt out of any vote on any subject.

Boris is now going to vote for Teresa's deal because she offered to stand down. The very same deal he was scathing about and remained scathing about until she uttered those words. The deal hasn't changed yet suddenly he can support it out of nowhere. Moggie can also support it now. It's fecking amazing how the light has suddenly come on and all is well with that nice Mrs May's work. I am going to find it very hard at the next election to vote for anyone. It might have to be the Monster Raving Loonies.

11. notDistantGreen

Government ministers were ordered to abstain. Once you include the junior ranks, that's quite a lot on top of the genuine Don't Knows and Won't Says (i.e. Labour). If ever there was a time for a free vote it's now and it's a disgrace ministers have been whipped.

Johnson's lack of morals and excess of ambition should rule him out of ever being PM. But a lot of people have seen him (and his Dad) on TV, so that may be enough.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  12. notDistantGreen

I see Dominic Raab, briefly Brexit Minister, who resigned because it was politically convenient at the time,,, no, no sorry, resigned because he had a deep conviction that the draft agreement did not honour the Brexit referendum result, has now found he most certainly can support the draft agreement because there is Conservative leadership election in the wind.

No sorry, wrong again, he can now vote for it because the agreement which did not previously honour the Brexit referendum result is now the best way to... ummm honour the Brexit referendum result.

Complicated stuff this politics game isn't it?

13. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't really care if MPs were ordered or not. They don't work for their parties they work for the people who voted for them. They are paid to make decisions not opt out of them so they should all be sacked. From the last few days, any respect I have ever had for MPs, and it has never been much, has just gone altogether. Spineless the lot of them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  14. notDistantGreen

I'm afraid I don't agree with you there. The majority of rank-and-file MP's have stood on their principles, either on the Leave or the Remain side.

I do agree with you about the leadership of both main parties who've played party politics with the whole thing, with Theresa May to trying to stop the Conservatives splitting in two and Corbyn trying a) not to show he's against Brexit because he's a Marxist and regards the EU as capitalist conspiracy and b) because he'll do anything to get into power.

15. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

The DUP must owe many £millions back to the Tory government for that sweetner to support them.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The Tory Government aren't owed anything. For Tory Government delete and insert Tax Payers.

I'm not interested in the rank and file MPs standing on their principals I'm interested in them or some of them opting out of voting one way or another. It's not hard is it. You say something and I either agree or don't agree with it. I don't say I abstain with an opinion. They get paid to have an opinion and represent their constituents not waste their time by sitting on a fence somewhere in the middle. That's just plain weak. I repeat, those who don't admit to their belief and vote an opinion are spineless.

17. notDistantGreen

I don't know what you are comparing with what but firstly there are a number of Sein Fein "MPs" who don't take up their seats.

Then as I say, Govt ministers were told to abstain or resign. They'd have to decide whether this was the issue on which to lose whatever influence they have on the inside or to keep their powder dry for something more significant in the Brexit process.

I'm not sure what the situation was in Labour.

There may have been MPs who were too ill or otherwise unable to vote. In that case, there is the practice of "matching" in which an MP on the other side does not vote either on compassionate grounds. I don't know if that applied.

The there'll be the genuine cowards. I see Dominic Grieve, who's been a very principled voice on the Remain side has been deselected by his constituency party.

It's a total mess and a mess I knew was inevitable as soon as we knew the referendum result. I still think though that the order in which blame falls is:

Those that called the referendum and failed to set a reasonable majority needed for such a momentous change.

Those that ran the referendum campaigns: dishonest in the case of Leave and ineffective in the case of Remain.

The leaders of the two main parties.

MPs

18. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

The people of Northern Ireland know when they vote that Sein Fein don't take part so that's fine. However, the English equivalent do take part and that is what people elect them for. To keep their powder dry is just an excuse for me. This is the most important subject they have had to decide on in a lifetime. They should not just be undecided and not vote. That lets down their voters and is not why they are there. They are there for us not their own personal careers. I include all MPs in this not just those who didn't bother to vote for or against on this subject. To play personal politics with this is just wrong and they will suffer for doing this when the time comes. A lot of these people will be looking for another job.

19. notDistantGreen

Well Mr. Pollard voted for all of the options (Common Market 2.0, Customs Union, confirmatory referendum, Parliamentary power to block No Deal by cancelling Article 50).

Mr. Mercer voted against all of them. I think that's probably in support of May's Deal 3.0 rather than a hard core Brexiteer stance. He is your MP is he?

20. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

There might be a swing away from Mr Mercer locally next time around. I am going to find it difficult to even vote in the next elections. I cannot see it being Labour and I cannot see it being Tory. I don't want either anywhere near power for the foreseeable future. Pity because I always try to vote and exercise my right given the things people did to get it in the first place.