1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Other Sport

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 29, 2017.

1. I love Afl but the crowds can be as visceral as our soccer ones all be it without the associated off field violence. And the "report" rule is an absolute joke as it encourages such thuggery. Worryingly the Eagles could very well win the Grand Final this year and you just know he will be held up as an absent hero when he should probably be in jail.

Cyclonic likes this.
  2. They used to have an international rules series so one game in Ireland with a round ball and one in Australia with the Oval ball. Ireland used to do well but it was pretty brutal and got more so as more Gaa players started to ply their trade in the AFL.

It was a mixture of Gaelic football and AFL. Hurling wasn't part of it - Christ they were brutal enough without giving the players hurlies (sticks that they use to strike the ball with).

Cyclonic and bayernkenny like this.
  3. Chaninbar

Chaninbar The Crafty Cockney

2-0 to England and match figs of 9/43 for the ol warhorse Jimmy Anderson. I expected much more from India.

redcgull and Deleted....... like this.
  4. They really have to up it for the next three don't they? I was hoping it would be a blockbuster series to keep global appeal. The Edgbaston test was great though.

On another subject, these European games have been very good to watch. Hats off to Glasgow and Berlin.

Cyclonic and Chaninbar like this.
  5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Just watched the women's 100m relay in the European Championships. What a devastating turn of foot from the British girl running the final leg. Flabbergasted

6. She has definitely come of age - been awesome all week :)

Cyclonic, SwanHills and Ron like this.
  7. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

The Men's 1500m Final showcased one of the stars of the future. The 17 year old Jakob Ingebrigtsen of Norway sprang a big surprise when he beat off a quality field that included his two brothers. At just 17, he was thought to be a bit too young to win at this level. After crossing the line he looked confused. He wasn't too sure of what had happened. He didn't know if he'd actually won. It seems that there was a mix up with a lap go when the bell rang and the lap counter were at odds. Officials later apologised for the mistake. He's No 12 and settles at the rear.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Ron, SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.
  8. bayernkenny

bayernkenny Well-Known Member

He doubled up in the 5000m.

Cyclonic, Ron and SwanHills like this.
  9. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Yes, at 17 that was amazing. I also saw the men's 100m relay, where the Brits very impressive

10. Cyclonic

What makes the win all the impressive Ron, is that the Brits went in without Mitchell - Blake and Prescod.

SwanHills and Ron like this.

11. Cyclonic

Can't wait for the Birmingham round of the Diamond League which kicks off tomorrow. Some huge names will be on show. :emoticon-0100-smile

12. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

The German commentator was obviously disappointed, but there was just no way Guliyev was going to catch our reserve runner Harry 'Double-Barrelled' over the last leg. I can't help thinking how well ze Erics would do if they could just run a bit as they are quite excellent in the field events. Was just their girls who showed a bit of speed in the sprints*, men pretty dismal. The reverse can be said of the Brits, we definitely struggle in the field events. The Germans did win the women's 'National Hunt' race though, I do believe.

https://ecs.sportschau.de/ecs2018/n...k-European-Championships-2018,staffel498.html

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  13. Cyclonic

The Brits have been serious runners for as long as I can remember Swanny. And the bastards can also ride push bikes and row boats quite well. <laugh>

SwanHills and bayernkenny like this.
  14. Cyclonic

Game one of the 2018 Bledisloe Cup, a trophy the Kiwis have laid claim to since 2002. NZ are $1.06, Aust $8.

More pain I suppose.

bayernkenny likes this.
  15. bayernkenny

Cyc; look on the bright side, they cannot have a golden generation every decade!<cheers><cheers>:emoticon-0136-giggl:emoticon-0136-giggl

16. Cyclonic

The bloody Kiwi's can.

17. bayernkenny

Just as well; it means Scotland pick up three or four of their third 'fifteen' every few years! Mind you the 'Grandparent' rule will run out in about twenty years.

18. Cyclonic

Being sons of a Scot, me and my brothers will run on for ya Kenny. Mind you, we're ****ing useless.

19. bayernkenny

Got as far as the third fifteen for George Heriot's School in Edinburgh then booze, burdz and general carousing took over!

SwanHills and Cyclonic like this.
  20. Cyclonic

Man I love the New Zealand Anthem. <applause>

SwanHills likes this.