1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Next Arsenal manager ?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by PINKIE, Feb 27, 2018.

?

Who should the next Arsenal manager be ?

1. Leonardo Jardim

2. Carlo Ancelotti

3. Joachim Loew

4. Mikel Arteta

5. Massimo Allegri

6. Diego Simeone

7. Luis Enrique

8. Brenden Rodgers

9. Antonio Conte

10. Zinedine Zidane

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Thierry Henry wants Arsenal manager job and has plan to beat Mikel Arteta to role
    https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/19/thie...ager-job-plan-beat-mikel-arteta-role-7560308/

Thierry Henry will not take a coaching role at Arsenal because he wants to become the club’s new manager following Arsene Wenger’s departure.

Another former Gunner, Mikel Arteta, is the leading candidate to succeed Wenger and is said to be considering a verbal offer from the north London club.

Henry working beneath Arteta at the Emirates has been raised as a possibility but the Daily Mail say this is off the table as Henry instead wants the top job. And the legendary striker plans to meet with the Arsenal hierarchy on Monday to present his ideas to the club.

Both Henry and Arteta, who helped Manchester City win the Premier League this season as Pep Guardiola’s assistant, completed their UEFA Pro coaching qualification this week. Henry, Arsenal’s record scorer with 228 goals, said earlier in the season that he would be open to replacing Wenger as manager. ‘Listen, I’m a competitor, you don’t back down from a challenge,’ he said.

It makes things interesting if this is true, but Arteta seems to be a favourite with the hierarchy so Henry will have to do something amazing to get the nod.

2. PINKIE

PINKIE Wurzel Gummidge

I’m concerned that we are considering employing somebody with zero managerial experience !

Cant help thinking that this is a massive gamble that could go badly pear shaped.

3. lazarus20000

lazarus20000 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a dramatic shift in ideas from the management, which means an Arteta kind of appointment could happen. Not something I was thinking we should do but at least they are trying to make some major changes. Who knows, it might well work. We will have to wait and see.

4. TheBear

TheBear Well-Known Member

I think it's likley to be someone with less experience.Its less of a gamble than people realise as the management position has essentially been shrunk down. Whoever takes over will basically just be a coach and a front for the media.

Essentially we have setup like Madrid and Barca now with a 'DOF' and a 'Head of Recruiting' guiding whoever takes the job.

Madrid have made it work with Zidane, Barca have had plenty of success with this model.

But I'm sure the British media wont understand when we inevitably appoint someone like Arteta.

5. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but I think it is every bit of a big gamble and the fact that he doesn't run the youth teams, do the transfer negotiations, or that he delegates any number of other tasks, isn't really going to help.

The new manager will still be responsible for making all the decisions that will influence the team on the pitch, and if he isn't, it is still going to be an additional test for whatever system is put in place. Even in these committee run clubs, the manager is a massive part of that, and even if he is aided by a corporate framework that helps him with the workload, he is still going to be the one picking the team, telling them how he wants them to play and in charge of getting the best out of the players.

I don't think we can expect a Moneyball scenario with a Billy Bean running the club and making all the major decisions.

For all the "Continental Model" and it's supposed success. It has only been successful at the super rich clubs that would have had success anyway, and there isn't any data to show that directors of football are so influential that they predict success. It is still the managers in these clubs that are successful wherever they go.

6. TheBear

True but Sanhelli does have previous success with this model.
    Ok it's a different league.. blah blah blah ..but in reality we have signed the ideal guy try this with.
    You could make an argument for Minislat being the best scout it World football over the last 10-15 years. The signings he made for Dortmund are incredible.

The Club is looking long term here. They are trying to set up an infrastructure that will last. We could sign a Simeone and not make any significant changes to the club. He may win a few trophies which will be nice bit when he's done the Club will still be in the same place trying to compete with Clubs who have far greater financial resources. The idea behind this new model is clearly to build a footballing culture within the Club from youth level and have a World Class scouting team to take Arsenal FC forward. On Paper at least the idea is great.

7. TheBear

Rumours circulating that Unai Emery was spotted at the Emirates today.

Apparently here for talks.

Also Allegri still hasn't made a decision about next Season in regards to staying at Juve.

8. Mantis

Mantis Well-Known Member

Unai Emery is in London for talks. Has an impressive European CV but didn't really get the best out of what was a star studded PSG outfit. Not sure how I would feel about that.

9. The RDBD

The RDBD Well-Known Member

What you do not want is what happened to
    AVB at Spurs in 2013. Somebody else going and
    buying a ream of players who the manager did not
    necessarily ask for, nor are they a good match for
    the system the manager intends the team to play.

10. ToledoTrumpton

ToledoTrumpton Well-Known Member

I think if the whole team is committed to success as a team and not as individuals then success is guaranteed. I think one of the problems with having a figure such as Wenger in charge is that everyone at the club tends to be less worried about the team and more worried about themselves, because there can be an attitude of "Wenger will win it or lose it, it isn't my problem". This is typified by contract disputes and players trying to capitalize on their "success" even if they haven't had any.

I don't like players having contract disputes or wanting to play different positions or any of that ****. A players happiness is a distant second to team success. They have to be made aware that this isn't about them it is about the team.

So a distributed management team does create a better team atmosphere, but also it creates more possibilities where you can get a weak link. It is a trade off.

11. gooner4ever

gooner4ever once a Gooner always a Gooner
    Forum Moderator

The new manager is Dick