1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

New Head Coach

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by FellTop, Nov 26, 2023.

1. Notaskyboy

Notaskyboy Well-Known Member

Tbf if you start using words like imminent (particularly with some of our fans) you’re leaving yourself wide open for criticism if nowts happened a few days later. Like it or not a lot of supporters will have taken that statement as meaning the new blokes ready to be unveiled.

2. Billy Batts

Billy Batts Well-Known Member

Come round to Rosenior now. Reckon he'll be hungry and have a point to prove after his dismissal and the comments from the Hull owner.

3. Disco down under

Disco down under Well-Known Member

I don’t think we are getting him, just have a feeling a lot of work went into chasing him, and the club will wait until the deal is impossible before committing to someone else.

Likely wrong.

4. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Genuinely happy we aren't appointing Still.

5. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

It's been less than 1 working day since the statement. Maybe releasing it on a Friday was a mistake

Hudson92 likes this.
  6. sheepman

sheepman Well-Known Member

I'm fine with him. He wouldn't have been my first choice but think he would probably prove to be a safe pair of hands.
    He will divide the fanbase initially though. Will definitely be seen by some as the last gasp option when everything else has failed.
    My worry would be if we come out with a slow passing around the back game and fans are told they need to be patient
    After Beale and Dodds patience is wearing thin.
    However he does seem a likeable lad and a good communicator so would back him to win fans over

Whoever it is If the team performs on the Pitch and we start to get results everything else will be forgotten

7. Dave_39

Dave_39 Well-Known Member

same here hoping we hear today who we are getting

Whittylad and Disco down under like this.
  8. Southern A

Southern A Well-Known Member

The timing of the announcement was interesting. I know a lot of people have read it as assuming we are pretty much there, and I definitely see that logic. But my gut response to it was that actually we are still quite far away from an announcement. It made no sense to me to have a statement if you knew an announcement was coming soon.

I'm really pleased KLD did come out with the statement. I'd probably have done it earlier myself but a statement on Friday was better than no statement.

As for the use of the word imminent in the statement, no matter what KLD said, people would pick holes in it. He could have said "ASAP" for example, but everybody would then be like "ASAP was 2 months ago mate". He could have said "quickly". And then everyone would have been like "nothing has been quick". He could have said "soon" and then people would have been like "how soon is soon? we've been waiting long enough".

So there was no word he could have used that wouldn't get picked apart.

And I just think if an announcement was truly close, the statement wouldn't have been made at all on Friday. Just my gut instinct.

9. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Neither do I and I don't particularly want him, not because I'm mad about him supposedly dicking about but because I'm not convinced he's a good choice.

I'm just of the opinion that none of us including journalists has a clue what's going on.

10. CR17

CR17 Well-Known Member

I'd honestly be very happy with Rosenior, a lot are treating him like he's managed for years and bottled it countless times, last season as his first full season as a head coach

Random lad, Dorset, Whittylad and 6 others like this.

11. Robertson

Robertson Well-Known Member

If he can have the team pressing from the front and playing attacking/free-flowing football then yes please. I don't really want a lot!

Brainy Dose likes this.
  12. Notaskyboy

Notaskyboy Well-Known Member

There’s probably a bit of underlying snobbery with him being ditched by a club they see as inferior to us.

Random lad and Nacho like this.
  13. Southern A

I've come right round to him personally.

And frankly the whole thing will die down within days of an appointment, no matter who we appoint. People will see the kits and be excited, they'll focus on the Euros, then it will all be about recruitment, and then it will all be about results.

Come July we'll have all forgotten this dragged on. And come October all that will matter is the results of Sunderland AFC, not how our head coach did at his previous club.

14. TonyG

TonyG Well-Known Member

Watch this, it’s probably how we are all feeling but insanely good / funny. First I heard of it today and got it on repeat.

The Norton Cat likes this.
  15. Southern A

after being nominated for manager of the year no less.

Random lad and Robertson like this.
  16. Chadm93

Chadm93 Well-Known Member

Its very hard to gauge the 'actual' fan reaction versus the social media one, for example seen my dad the other day and he doesnt keep up with social media and rumours, and he just said he would like to see us go for Rosenior, social media is also just a magnified overreaction both negatively and positively

Dorset, safcrd16, Roppa and 6 others like this.
  17. Scootsie

Scootsie Well-Known Member

Does anyone have the link to the article that broke down Rosenior’s tactics and impact at Hull?

Robertson likes this.
  18. CR17

CR17 Well-Known Member

19. Young Ted

Young Ted Well-Known Member

I really don’t think it would make any difference which day it was with some of our lot

20. Blyth_bucaneer

Blyth_bucaneer Well-Known Member

....or maybe they could have worded it differently.