1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

More trivia

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by grumpygit, Jul 7, 2019.

1. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

brb - I can't remember the game - but I believe it was in the southwest - possibly Plymouth - -- the 'actual' team had been drawn against Man Utd and the fans had to accumulate vouchers from attending preceeding league games to qualify for a real ticket (( or am I just making it up ? ))

brb likes this.
  2. alwaysright

..... regarding Peter Feely - and your comment regarding our current recruitment -- I think that Evans has ( on paper ), done quite a good job so far - by getting players from Premier League clubs for next season. Willock is one that I will be very interested to watch.
    I think that Feely may not have been fully appreciated by Gills fans - He came at a time when an old favourite, Brian Yeo, had just scored 31 in a season. He was a hard act to follow. Feely was in an era when players started to lose 'loyalty' to clubs - so it was no surprise that he followed 'resigning' manager, Len Ashurst at Sheffield Wednesday.

brb likes this.
  3. alwaysright

edit --
    I got it 'wrong' - it was a Man Utd game v St. Etiene - had to be played away from Old Trafford due to violence etc - so Plymouth's ground was chosen - fans attending Argyle home games were able to get a voucher - hence the Gills fans ending up with one to qualify for a real ticket for the game - ...... the rest of my answer was fairly good - surely enough for half a point

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    brb likes this.
  4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Well done for eventually getting there mate <ok>

Saha played for Man U, Sunderland & Newcastle, Everton, Spurs and Fulham to meet the threshold for all of those derbies.

brb likes this.
  5. brb

brb CR250

You was right mate. Also was an easy question for me to think up as i was at that league game and made a nice profit out of the voucher. I waited until the touts had snapped up most the vouchers, so i could get away with charging top dollar. I knew when i said no earlier in the day they would remember me and be back.

alwaysright likes this.
  6. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The easiest question yet for Gillingham fans:-

Who scored our first goal in league 1 2000/01 season.

7. alwaysright

Without looking it up - was it Ty Gooden ?
    edit - wrong !

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  8. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

A big clue..............it wasn't a striker.

I know Ty wasn't a striker.

9. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Think you mean Division One (Championship) rather than League One :1980_boogie_down:

10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The Championship came into force at the start of 2004/5 season, as the Premiership was already in existence, the top football league (pre-EFL days) was referred to as league 1, or division 1, or league division 1. The official title is actually " football league first division"...... because it often gets confusing I took the precaution of including the season. :emoticon-0140-rofl::emoticon-0140-rofl:

11. alwaysright

Is this the right thread to ask pointless questions ? - anyone good at Maths ?

I went to the supermarket today - On our list was diet Pepsi ( other colas were available ).
    The price on the shelf said " Half Price, £6.50, Save £1.50..............
    So - if half price is £6.50, then surely the full price was £13, which makes the 'saving' £6.50 ??? The only possible explanation I can think of is that the price label on the shelf has a misprint.......
    ..... your quest -- to come up with a more pointless question - before the new season begins ((( almost counting down the hours )))

grumpygit likes this.
  12. alwaysright

Which club is the 'feeder' club for AFC Wimbledon ? ( vice-versa ) --- ( disclaimer - this is not necessarily a stupid question -- even if it is pointless )

Reilly, Fuller, Cody, Wagstaff , Oshilaja, Danny Kedwell, Billy Knott, Josh Parker, Chris Welpdale--- any more ?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  13. brb

brb CR250

Andy Frampton

14. alwaysright

15. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Censored (swear filter) :headbang:

alwaysright likes this.
  16. alwaysright

was it 0 out of 7 ? I must admit I got two wrong - but I made the mistake of applying commonsense - unlike the booking for removing your shirt in goal celebration.

17. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I got the keeper one wrong, didn't know you couldn't stand behind the line, obviously knew you couldn't stand forward of the line ,also that if the penalty taker does stagger in his run the keeper can take one step.

18. alwaysright

I too got that wrong - but bear in mind that the linesman usually stands level with the goalkeeper - the lino should be able to see if the keeper is not in front of the line --- so why does it matter if the keeper wants to stand behind it -------

----- and as far as the 'stutter' is concerned - at what point has the keeper deemed to have 'encroached' ? -- just how big is his 'step' allowed to be ?
    The 'stutter' is nothing other than not in the spirit of the game as far as I am concerned.

The FA make up / change rules every year - just for the sake of it.
    ....................oh - and just how few times is a penalty retaken ( after it has been saved / missed ) - and any number of defenders are in the penalty area before the kick is actually taken --- and the opposite situation when there are plenty of team mates of the taker.

19. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

The other one I got wrong was about the wall, I hadn't seen anywhere that defenders have to stand 1 yard away ?

20. alwaysright

I think you mean 'forwards' have to stand away from the wall - ( but only if the defensive wall has more than 2 players - which I don't think was made perfectly clear)