1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Moderation on here

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by DMD, Jan 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Edelman

Edelman Well-Known Member

You do realise most of it can be put down to frustration .
    Knee jerk reactions to disapointment.
    Some is just comments to induce banter but often ultra defensive nature takes hold .
    At the end of the day Ric everybody is a City fan but some hold themselves as more worthy than others .
    PS talking more about Match threads .

2. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Under normal circumstances, the no politics rule is fairly easy to administer, we just delete all posts that make a political point.

The COVID threads have been far more difficult, as it’s impossible to leave the topic up without also allowing discussion of the government’s action/inaction/reaction to the current crisis.

We always try to delete as little as possible, but it’s a judgement call and we obviously won’t get everything right all the time.

3. AlRawdah

AlRawdah Well-Known Member

Here is an example. A while ago I made (probably not that funny) joke at the expense of Priti Patel and her inability to read out a number at the COVID press conference last year. I was quickly jumped on with no politics requests.

There are a few posters who regularly, and one who constantly, slag off Diane Abbott for her inability with mathematics. Those posts remain unchallenged on most occasions.

Like I said before, I accept it’s inevitable that our views seep into our thinking on here, and mods won’t be any different. So I decided on balance not to delete my account**!

**I couldn’t find the delete account button anyway

4. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

I appreciate the sentiment but I can't help but see a hypocrisy in 'No Politics' but allowing crass comments about something that is politically-charged, such as the Irish Potato Famine. Likewise, lots of topics discussed on this forum have some link to politics, most things do. It seems the rule isn't actually 'No Politics', but 'No parliamentary politics'. Whether people like to admit it or not, topics like BLM and COVID are inherently political.

Edelman and DMD like this.
  5. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I doubt you'll find much disagreement with that. It doesn't help with the authorities bring politics into the game either.

6. Cortez91

Cortez91 Moderator
    Forum Moderator

We have a bunch of fans on Twitter that are like this. I’m glad the block button exists so I don’t have to see it on the timeline in honesty.

7. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

Right, okay, but I remember making a comment on the COVID thread about how the management of the NHS is the responsibility of the government (didn't mention any specific party, politician or even healthcare policy), not the personal responsibility of individual taxpayers. My point was that the message 'Protect the NHS' was bogus because the onus isn't on us individual citizens to protect it, but the role of the government who manages its funding. It was deleted.

8. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Lots of Abbott posts have actually been deleted.

I used to delete all the political posts on the Completely Different thread, but got a lot of grief for it (as ‘they’re only jokes), so more recently I’ve left them up until they generated angry responses.

DMD likes this.
  9. Edelman

Where comments that stated that the powers that be where doing a good job deleted ?

10. AlRawdah

The BLM thread was an especially bad example actually. Obviously political, yet the debate was allowed to continue because it was “interesting” and about football, whereas in fact the mod involved just wanted to slag off the extremities of political groups that attach themselves to the BLM umbrella. I genuinely couldn’t believe what I was seeing that weekend.

Kalman and Edelman like this.

11. AlRawdah

I don’t dispute that. But many haven’t. And the posters of stuff about Abbott didn’t get pulled up pretty much straight after they hit send.

12. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

I think we've both seen how what is seemingly a jokey comment, can then lead to other issues on several threads. Then when we act, it can look as if we're being heavy handed or uneven in application.

We're bound to get things wrong, and what is acceptable to some, is not acceptable to others, so we have to try and find that line in the middle, which we don't always achieve, but then I don't think it's altogether achievable anyway, we can only do our best and try to make sure there's a way people can raise issues.

13. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

There weren't any explicit 'Good job, Boris!' comments that I saw but there were a few comments that were praiseworthy of the vaccine roll-out, which I guess is indirect praise of the government's strategy.

Edelman likes this.
  14. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw a lot of the 'BLM are just anarchist radicals who hate Britain and capitalism, how can you condone that?' comments on that thread that got left up.

15. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

P
    Possibly something to do with her inability to add up?

16. Edelman

I cant say it surprises me .
    I think most of us have a general idea of how some people view let's say : certain cultures and incumbent authorities.

17. Kalman

Kalman Well-Known Member

Aye, but a poster made a similar joke about Priti Patel's ****e maths skills and it got deleted.

18. Ric Glasgow

Ric Glasgow Well-Known Member

WTF has a political movement who want to dismantle capitalism,abolish prisons and defund the police force got to do with football?

19. DMD

DMD Eh?
    Forum Moderator

Can we avoid re-running the debates that you say are part of the issue. Ta.

20. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

That thread should have been locked earlier, as I said, we don’t get it right all the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.