1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Lambert - 11 games in.....

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Westlake33, Jan 1, 2019.

1. Westlake33

Westlake33 Well-Known Member

Right - I think we all knew I gave Hurst a torrid time on here, and I stand by every single word I said. The guys an absolute melt. He had to to and good riddance.

I've liked a lot of what Lambert's done ie -
    * Same team / press / all in it together feel etc.....

However, from WHATEVER angle you look at it, Lambert's results are WORSE than Hurst's.

We've accumulated an absolutely embarrassing 6/33. Hurst's last 11 games he brought in 8 points - which is a pathetic 8 point total, however it does trump Lambert's........

While Lambert needs time / new players desperately etc - he also needs to bloody up his game.

6/33 Lambert is absolutely appalling. Sort it out man.

2. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

When you talk about Hurst’s points haul, you do have to bear in mind he was a dead man walking for the last two matches and that before that there had seemed to be an improvement.

As far as Lambert goes, a spectacular and abject failure. The wrong change at the wrong time.

The question is what’s the next move. Do you really give him a transfer budget that is unlikely to have any impact on our season?

What is the point in Lambert sticking around now?

3. Spanish

Spanish Well-Known Member

Me, I'm 100% behind Lambert and feel he is the best man to take us back up next season.
    You are slating him, yet the poor guy has inherited this squad, not one player is his choice, so at least give him a transfer window to try and show some improvement!

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Jesus Christ. If this is what some of us want then we really deserve everything we get.

5. Westlake33

Well whatever re Hurst the players hated him and he had to go. Alright scrap the last 2 and I'll even go one better and assume the others were draws - that's 10/33 and absolutely pathetic still.

That said - regarding Lambert - he's got THE SAME ( The squad is absolutely toilet and I stand by that ) squad as Hurst, and people can come at this any which way they'd like - so far ( I very much hope that changes ) Lambert's results have indeed been worse than Hurst's.

First thing you do as a manager ( in my view ) is tighten up the defence. Now granted, the back 5 we have in any combination is pants - however I would imagine a Steve Bruce would by whatever method possible secured 3 / 4 clean sheets out of 11. We're actually WORSE defensively than under Hurst.

That's a great question regarding next move now - I mean - with 20 games to go, we must overhaul a 10 point deficit ( essentially 11 with goal difference )

I guess we'll know more after Rotherham - If we lose that than 19 to play, a minimum 11 points off ( hoping Wigan lose ) is absolutely done. I happen to think today's loss is the one that confirms relegation, but beat Rotherham / 7 points IS retrievable over 19 games. It's hard, but it's doable.

Lambert has a contract, and I hope the job works out with him - the players like him etc and it's hard to fully judge him until March or so when he's signed some of his own players / maybe further when he's got his own squad.

However, I have to be fair. I cannot be Billy Big Balls to Hurst and apathetic to Lambert. Lambert, you were brought in to IMPROVE results, and I may not like this 1%, however, results have actually got WORSE with you ( to date ).

Must up it Lambert. Have to find a way. You've found a way to take 6 leads in 11 games. That's good. However you have to up results, starting with Rotherham.

6. Roystonblue

Roystonblue Well-Known Member

Whoever the manager is, itfc is a massive rebuilding job and so they have to be given time. I would not have sacked hurst (understand why it happened) nor would I sack lambert. We need to let the manager get on with rebuilding the club with his own ideas without looking over his shoulder. Obviously ME is a big problem here. We are a community clung and aside from 1 interview, he hasn’t said a word to the fans

7. Westlake33

Spanish I like Lambert and am behind him, however results under him are worse than under Hurst.

I will judge him fully over time, however I cannot have it all one way and slam the hell into Hurst, yet be happy clappy to Lambert when he's made results ( marginally) worse still.

I have to be fair - to date, he's doing a bloody poor job.

8. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Lambert happily signed a lucrative contract knowing the state of the club and the squad, and if he didn’t then he should have done his homework.

9. Spanish

Yeah a bloody poor job with the **** that Hurst/MM left him with!

10. Westlake33

Well we can say that Spanish - and sure - his hands are tied however results are worse under Lambert ( so far ) than they were under Hurst!

McCarthy left us with a squad that came 12th - Hurst did what he saw fit with. Waghorn wanted to stay but Hurst wanted him gone to get others in. Evans tied Hurst's hands to a point. However, he's built us a very very poor squad.

Sadly.............. that very very poor squad Hurst built, to date, Lambert is getting even less out of.

11. Spanish

Hurst had lost the changing room, he had to go!!
    Only a brainless knob would have kept him....over to you Hampy!

fieldmarshall and Westlake33 like this.
  12. Westlake33

Haha agree 100% with you regarding Hurst have to go Spanish. He had and the players absolutely hated him.

13. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Well it has turned out that we would have been better to give him some time than swap for Lambert. There’s no argument about that now.

14. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

The players that dug Hurst out publicly aren’t involved now, so that tells it’s own story.

In fact, not a single player can be critical of anybody else at this point in time.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2019
  15. stretchyboy

stretchyboy Well-Known Member

What difference would it make to ME's wealth if he was to spend up to 10m on transfers in Jan?? If we don't get any quality players in, then ziggy says there is a 98% chance of getting relegated . So to spend another 10m, by getting in the right players, makes some sense. We need one last punt at staying up, and the ONLY way, is to get quality in..which unfortunately costs be it wages and/or a transfer fee.
    Our biggest problem is, who in their right mind would want to come???

16. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

To save our season we need Sam to leap into George Burley and persuade Richard Wright to stay at Town.

17. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Similar to the decision to replace Mick, I think getting rid of Paul Hurst was the correct decision. Results were poor, performances not much better, and there was evidently a lot of distrust and spite shown to Hurst behind the scenes at the club. Personally, I would not have trusted Hurst with a second transfer window, not after his summer business, and I think we can safely chalk up his hiring as another mistake for our owner. Unfortunately, it seems entirely plausible that Evans has bungled another managerial appointment by hiring Lambert.

Lambert was not met with overwhelming approval on here, and I was concerned about his general record and the reversion to choosing a manager from the 'old boys' network of high-profile, aging British managers who have not done much in their managerial careers to warrant repeated employment at high-level football. Having said that, there wasn't exactly a long list of potential appointments waiting by the phone for a call from Ipswich. Years of under-investment and decline has precipitated this collapse. The national media widely considered us as relegation candidates in the summer, contrast that to our painfully optimistic pre-season predictions on here, and it looks like many people predicted our sharp decline before we even contemplated it.

If we get relegated and go down with a whimper, then I do not understand the notion that Lambert should be absolved of any blame and that we should persevere with this failed manager. It is clear that an upheaval of sorts if required at this club, particularly with regards to our senior players who look to have undermined Hurst and wanted him out, only to fail to step up and deliver performances when they got given a more professional, sympathetic manager. While the quality and depth of the squad is poor, due to Hurst's poor recruitment process and Evans' repeated penny-pinching, six points out of 33 is an incredibly poor return for Lambert and it does raise the question of whether Hurst would have had more points with Ipswich by this stage of the season had he been retained. A shocking thought to entertain, considering Hurst's poor record here.

Scowey, San Diego and Westlake33 like this.
  18. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

What was really going on here was that Hurst came in and brought with him a work ethic, which some senior players did not like because they’d been used to an easy ride with Mick.

Nobody could sort out the mess in one window, but since Hurst was doing considerably better and was fired there’s no logic to sticking by Lambert now. Do we keep sacking the manager every 15 or so games? No of course not, but we shouldn’t have made that change in the first place.

We don’t have any kind of strategy or vision, and should we lose to Rotherham we are all but relegated by January. I worry then that we just keep making the same mistakes as a club and where do we end up?

Can we perhaps salvage something out of this season and get ourselves into the record books with a worse than 23 points haul?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2019
  19. Westlake33

Hampy, you've really got to stop this ' easy ride ' viewpoint you've got wedged into your head. They were not getting an easy ride with Mick, nor would they with Hurst Lambert etc. The senior players hated him because he was an absolute melt and treated them with no respect / Doig treated them like a piece of s***.

' Considerably better ' - Hampy - no. Marginally. Performances are better now, however results were slightly better under El Idiot.

Agree Nuggets good points made as usual, you know the game and read it well.

San Diego, fieldmarshall and Nuggets like this.
  20. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Agreed - there's good coaching and there's bad coaching. Hurst was a bad coach for Ipswich and this group of players.

I won't be surprised if we got less than 23 points this season, and that would be embarrassing.