1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Jamie Vardy

Discussion in 'Leicester City' started by SvensMightyLove Sword, May 16, 2012.

1. SvensMightyLove Sword

John Percy has just tweeted that Jamie Vardy will sign tomorrow for £1m in a record transfer for a non league club. What do you reckon

2. I used to be john fallen

I used to be john fallen Active Member

Who honestly knows? as long as he has the right attitude and grafts...(which will be a refeshing change for some of our big signings) then if he lacks the ability, its not his fault..but worth a punt..good luck to the lad...master stroke by pearson or a bit of a disaster...time will tell...

3. SvensMightyLove Sword

I've seen him on YouTube and he looks decent enough for a striker, but it's not always a good thing to go off a YouTube video

4. AKCJ

AKCJ Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Kermit was ****ing immense on YouTube....

5. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

anyone can claim anything, fact is, it is impossible to know.

6. leicester_ed

leicester_ed Well-Known Member

kermorgant is quite good....

7. Greatness_Since_1884

Greatness_Since_1884 Active Member

I'm excited about this one - mainly due to the fact he's probably a Steve Walsh find and they're usually good'uns. Haven't really got much to lose mind and it could mean Beckfords days are numbered.

8. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

Quite a few strikers are about who come from non league and are doing well

Steve Morison, Charlie Austin, Jermaine Beckford, Grant Holt

So there some decent non league players out there

9. Pull Your Fox Up

Pull Your Fox Up Active Member

Ive saw him play against York City last year and he was a real menance all match. Constantly making runs and screaming for the ball - a true grafter.

I like the 'idea' behind the signing. A team of players who don the shirt with pride!

10. FosseFilberto

FosseFilberto Pizzeria Superiore and some ...
    Forum Moderator

For me - more excited about this than the signings of Nugent, Beckford, Mills, St Ledger and Konchesky ... because I had seen those guys play to some extent and questioned whether they were really long term (i.e Premier league) options ...

With this kid it's all potential - like Peltier, Drinkwater and Marshall -

Might be the case that his level is under he Championship - but THEN AGAIN .... and it's the THEN AGAIN that makes this a really exciting signing (if of course it actually happens)

and once more IT IS NOT A GAMBLE AT £1m ... it is speculating to accumulate - if he gets 20 gaols next year his worth will go up 5 to 10 fold ... and if he proves to be inept we will still recoup a third of the transfer fee by selling him on to an ambitious L2 club

11. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Totally agree - he was the best striker at the club technically during his stint with us and I expect him to do well with Charlton next year ... whilst on a different scale there are similarities with the career of Diego Forlan ... Ferguson apparently loved the guy but it just didn't work for him at Utd .. the press loved to lable him Fergies Flop but he went on to show his true worth both in Europe and at a World Cup ... whilst I was gutted with kermit's spot kick miss I admired his ambition and that he at least thought about what he was doing ... if the keeper had flung himself then the ball would have nestled in the net and he would have been a hero - it didn't - but a worse penalty kick is one that completely misses the target ... because there was no need to save it.

12. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

Steve Morison - £130,000.00
    Charlie Austin - £50,000.00
    Jermaine Beckford - £70,000.00
    Grant Holt - Free

They're normally a five or six figure punt, rather than a seven figure one and not all the players you've mentioned were plucked from obscurity, Holt had been a league footballer already and Beckford was known from his days as a youth player for Chelsea. Vardy certainly seems to know where the goal is, it's a hell of a jump from non-league to the Championship and it's a hell of a punt. I suspect he won't be ordinary, it will either be a master-stroke or a disaster.

13. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Good points other than the 'disaster' comment ...... I think that is a reasonable fee in today's market for someone with his scoring record but also in terms of the basic footballing attributes he has shown .......... contrasting that with Peter Taylor paying £5million fhowever many years ago for Ade Akinbiyi when the guy couldn't trap a bag of wet cement ... now that is disaster.

14. Proud Fox

Proud Fox Well-Known Member

But Vardy is no longer a non league player. Fleetwood are now a League 2 side

15. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

Next season they are, but until then, they're a club who've never played in the football league.

16. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

That was the point I made in the other thread about Vardy - he has no experience of league football - not even as a trainee - every other player that has made the jump has.

He is a risk and an expensive one at that considering the prices above.

Hopefully he will prove me wrong if he comes here, but I'm not putting any money on it.

17. FosseFilberto

Forum Moderator

Most clubs now coming up from the conference do extremely well in the football league - some going straight through L2 - so the no previous league experience argument is without real substance ... this guy is effectively the Lionel Messi of the conference - why people think that is any 'big risk' is beyond me .... don't you think Nigel and his coaching staff have watched the boy and compared him to the likes of what we have? ... Matt James is injury prone - is that not more of a risk? If Vardy fails we sell him on and have a re-think ...

18. originallambrettaman

Staff Member

There's a massive difference between the Championship and the conference, many players can't even make the step up from League One to the Championship.

We had Stuart Elliot in League One, he looked a class apart and scored 29 goals in one season(from the left wing), but when we got promoted he looked out of his depth and scored 7.

Billy Payter was absolute ****e for us in the Championship, in fact he is absolute ****e, but he still scored 29 goals in a season in League One.

Aaron Mclean scored 29 goals in a season in League One, yet he managed only 5 for us in the Championship this season.

For every player that makes the step up, there's a whole load more who don't and goal scoring exploits in the lower leagues(particularly non-league) are often not replicated at a higher level. I was talking to a Grimsby fan recently about Liam Hearn, who scored 45 in 76 games for Alfreton, before signing for Grimsby and scoring 27 in 42 games this season and has often been mentioned alongside Vardy. He said he'd be surprised if he bagged five in the Championship and the standard of football in the conference was piss poor.

I'm not suggesting the same is true of Vardy, he's certainly more highly rated than Hearn, but it's still a lot of money for a punt like this, it will be interesting to see how he gets on.

19. BigFox

BigFox Well-Known Member

Is a massive leap not just in ability, but in attitude and atmosphere.

He can do the job in front of an old man and his dog in a puddle of mud in the conference but 30000+ die-hard fans in a proper stadium?

He can jog on the spot and touch his toes then out for a curry but do a proper hardcore training regimes and eat salads and drink water with seaweed in in 9 out of every 10 days?

Is Vardy even a professional or is he a roofer or whatever on the side?

20. Barwellfox

Barwellfox Well-Known Member

Interesting stuff about Vardy - but as far as I am aware he still hasnt signed - YET. Know nothing about him except his goals got Fleetwood promoted. The one thing that I do know is that Steve Walsh makes few mistakes, and digs out some fine players - proved this before with us and whilst at Hull.
    We must remember that NP will give a list of players that he wants, and fees and wages are NOT negotiated by him or his coaching/scouting staff.
    We have wasted a lot of money recently on fees (Mills) and wages (numerous Sven signings), but again these finances were sorted by the board and not the management. Has Vardy been bought for a regular starting place, or to continue his development so that he acn gain a regular place in the team - I dont know. Does he have more to offer than Jeffrey Schlupp or Martyn Waghorn - I dont know.
    What I do know is that if he does sign it will be interesting to see where he fits in - is Beckford definitely off ?
    NP has decided he wants him, probably based on what Steve Walsh has reported back to him. On past results, that is good enough for me.