1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Is Warnock Right?

Discussion in 'Ipswich Town' started by Yorkiegit26, Apr 2, 2019.

1. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

YorkieLancsHampyLondoner Well-Known Member

Your league position says otherwise I'm afraid. He's good at getting sides out of the Championship but over and over again he's proved absolutely hopeless in the Premier League.

2. Oldsparkey

Oldsparkey Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Sorry, that's rubbish. We are where we are right now in the table because we didn't recruit the standard of players we needed to to stay up here. Who's fault that was, Warnock or the budget Tan allowed him to spend is another matter.

We are trying to stay in a division where we don't belong quality wise. I doubt any other manager could have got any more out of what he's got.

3. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

Oldsparkey, you need to 'keep calm and listen to Hampy'.

4. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

We may need a sticky to explain the rules of engagement nuggets.

5. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Is that the rule of engagement that says you're always right across here?

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  6. fieldmarshall

fieldmarshall Well-Known Member

You're wrong oldsparkey just be told ! Hampy knows so keep calm and listen, you won't learn anything except that you're wrong ...... about anything and everything.

johnnywarksmoustache likes this.
  7. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Perfectly calm fella - in the knowledge that we'll be in the Championship next season at the very least. <ok>

I wouldn't know, but Isn't being right all the time a bit tedious?

8. fieldmarshall

I don't know oldsparkey as I'm always wrong and that's bloody tedious, you know your Club better than anyone here apart from hampy of course and your description of what's happened with regards to recruitment sounds something like we have here, except we sold proven Championship strikers and gave away McGoldrick to Sheffield Utd and replaced them with cheap lower league players who are useless in the Championship, that's why we are getting relegated which is shameful, good luck for next season.

9. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Same to you.

Serious question and no wumming - would you want Warnock across there for next season or are you prepared to change direction and be patient?

10. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Not half as tedious as listening to lesser mortals spout rubbish on a daily basis, but it takes all sorts.

11. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

God no. We have only just managed to get shot of McCarthy. As a club our values have been eroded and compromised so much - since our funds are severely limited we need a foundation that’s based on building the club the right way. Paul Lambert is certainly giving all the right signals at the moment.

Cardiff and Ipswich are financially in very different situations. Cardiff’s problem is that they are not taken seriously so players find the likes of Bournemouth and Frankfurt a more attractive proposition.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  12. Bigalreigned

Bigalreigned Well-Known Member

No thanks!

13. fieldmarshall

Quite happy believe it or not with Lambert, when you consider the terrible squad we've got Guardiola couldn't do any better, that's just the opinion of a lesser mortal who actually goes to matches, still what do I know.

14. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Hmm.......I hope the lesser mortals stick together on here - sometimes you need a leader, but not necessarily a dictator.

15. Nuggets

Nuggets Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have Warnock here for next season, no. Hypothetically, if we had appointed Warnock to replace Hurst back in November, I think results would have been better than what they have been under Lambert. We may have even managed to scrape our way to survival this season under Warnock, as he has that knack of getting the most out of 'unfancied' squads at this level. However, after several years of short-term, safety-first football, I think a hypothetical Warnock appointment would have gone down badly in Suffolk. So do you weigh up a better shot at survival (with the certainty of sacrificing the match-day supporters' experience and goodwill) versus what we have now, which is almost certainly relegation, but offset by a weird sense of optimism and a manager who, to give him his credit, knows how to engage with the match-going fanbase and has managed to significantly improve the atmosphere. That positive feeling around the ground, and among the Town supporters generally, has been one of the few positives this season.

If you're interested, the main reasons for our relegation (in my opinion) has been terrible recruitment, the departure of last season's top five goalscorers, poor tactical decisions / selection issues by the previous manager, and initial tactical naivety by Lambert. He tried getting a poor squad, that had its collective confidence shot to bits, play attacking, attractive football from the outset (the equivalent of running before walking). But you can point the finger of blame at our owner, who has a single play off season in thirteen years of ownership, and his cost-cutting approach has demonstrably resulted in stagnation, which has now turned to inevitable decline. The current state of the squad, with its evident lack of quality, should be the owner's responsibility.

As for Cardiff, as bad as this season has been, was it to be expected? Most pundits and football fans had Cardiff down as relegation certainties, myself included, so to still be in with a decent chance of survival at this stage of the season is not a complete calamity. If you are to be relegated this season, would you want to stick with Warnock for next season in the Championship? Or is there a similar feeling at Ipswich from last season, where there's a desire for developing a football style that can achieve the holy grail of being both successful and pleasing to watch?

16. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Warnock is an enigma who doesn't suit the purist but gets results at the right level - and his is Championship level. The questioned posed as to whether it would have been better for you to stay in the Championship with him (or someone like him) running the show rather than dropping a divsion is very interesting and I can see would attract a variety of opinions.

Despite the "fresh start" in a lower division outlook that appeals to some, I'm sure there as just as many across there that are very upset that you need to take a hit like that before you rebuild. It's only an opinion but staying in the Championship should have been the priority - it was exactly the reason we took Warnock into our club when we were in the bottom 3 of the Championship and only going one way. He kept us up and then got us up.

This season in the Prem it's like playing on a different planet. Many across here including me think this level of football and the skills required to live with it are somewhat beyond Warnock. That may be right or wrong, but the standard of players he brought to the club last summer for our "season in the sun" was abysmal. Apart from Arter and Camarasa on last minute loan deals, the purchases were all Championship players expected to step up a level with the existing squad we went up with - it hasn't worked.

Going back down to the Championship wont be the end of the world for us, and as you say it was predicted by the pundits and expected by many across here. More of the same next season from Warnock at our club could get us back up, but at some point someone with real power over here has got to realise that we'd need to change direction to stay up.

fieldmarshall likes this.
  17. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

You have to remember we had 4 out of 5 of McCarthy’s full seasons just treading water and it was absolutely dire so to my mind getting Warnock in ‘to keep us in the Championship’ would have just been a continuation of that and prolonging the inevitable - the two men are practically interchangeable, except that Warnock’s character I would have warmed to even less than I did McCarthy’s.

Now the club is actually buzzing and people are enjoying the matches. Hurst was poor for Town but he got the short end of the straw, it’s a combination of factors that has led to our league position although we are finishing the season far more strongly than we started and this was as much as I hoped for after Lambert’s first few matches made it apparent we were heading for the trap door.

This may be short lived if next season gets off to a poor start, but Lambert has said that next season we are going to have at most one or two loans and this has been exactly what’s needed at the club for years. We have already made some great signings over the last few weeks and we’re not into the summer yet.

18. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

Well I sincerley wish you well if the seemingly inevitable does happen. In all honesty I think League One is far easier to get out of than the Championship. The other inevitable observation must be that you made getting out of the Championship at the wrong end look very easy this season.

You can always put up a case for your club's poor performances and it's usually put down to poor team management and player recruitment as you appear to be doing. I would say more or less the same on our part albeit in different divisions with different requirements.

We may both start next season a division lower than we each started this one and each with the same manager. By what standards would we then judge each of them at around this time next year?

If Warnock stays with us and we don't go back up, as long as we don't go down which I can't imagine, he will still be seen as somewhat of a hero for his past exploits. I wonder if that will be the same feeling for Lambert in a similar scenario, or will you guys have enough patience to rebuild?

fieldmarshall likes this.
  19. Oldsparkey

Forum Moderator

20. YorkieLancsHampyLondoner

Two different issues.

1) officials are human and big clubs get decisions, of course they do. But his rant doesn’t help him so he is right that there’s bias but he’s wrong to rant about it.
    2) if you’re not going to get your lawyers on it then don’t talk about bias. Correct to be charged.