1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic International Break Thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by PleaseNotPoll, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Left on the Shelf

Left on the Shelf Well-Known Member

I couldn't be assed to watch the whole game last night, but I note that most people have been highlighting Gordons absence as the biggest faux pas by Southgate. I know it's not a like-for-like option, but why not Eze, who completely bossed one of the pre-tournament games and has looked dynamic all last season. Is he injured or just overlooked, as I would say he would add a lot more to get that team performing?

2. KingHotspur

KingHotspur Well-Known Member

Yeah I’d prefer Eze to Gordon, think he’s a much better player tbh. The only plus with Gordon is that he’s quite direct so would offer something different to the side to side football England have offered so far.

Left on the Shelf likes this.
  3. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Personally whilst I think that Eze is a better footballer than Gordon, I think that Gordon suits what we actually need better than Eze. He is faster and more direct and will stay wide, which with Trippier likely to be staying at LB is vital.

4. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

If you picked Eze would he not still come inside like Foden? We need the left activated it's pointless having Harry if we never play from the wings. Foden and Bellingham both want to come in behind Harry and that's fine but we need some centres for Harry to put away. Gordon would provide that

5. Left on the Shelf

Then play both and either drop Foden or move him over to the right? <laugh>

6. KingHotspur

The LW cutting in would be ok if they had a proper LB playing. Trippier at LB has been the biggest mistake by the manager imo. Should have taken the Palace player Mitchell

7. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Denmark and Slovenia finished with identical points, goals scored and conceded and cards for players.
    The Danes finish 2nd because Slovenia's assistant coach got booked. <laugh>

8. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

They knew that left-back was a serious issues due to injury and fitness problems.
    Taking a crocked Luke Shaw, who only managed 15 appearances for Utd in all competitions last season, was a poor decision.
    Failing to bring any backup was much, much worse.

You're right in saying that Mitchell should've gone, especially when his teammate's playing every game.
    Could probably have stuck Alfie Doughty in there too as cover.
    Plenty of players in that squad that probably won't play a single minute.

9. The Changing Man

The Changing Man Well-Known Member

Sorry this a long post, you may get bored, a bit like watching England

I actually like international football but watching England has never been easy. Can anyone remember the last time England genuinely played consistently well at a tournament?

Odd games like against the dutch at Euro 96, but a tournament where we have played consistently well, I am not sure that there is one. People talk about Euro 96 as time when we were good, but we played well twice Netherlands and in losing the semi to Germany.

Italia 90 is also remembered through rose coloured glasses Ok v the dutch (again) in a 0-0 draw, could/should have lost knock out games v Belgium and Cameroon, we again played well in the semi and lost!

WCs in 82, 86, 98, 02, 06,10 & 14 between them maybe 5 decent matches

Euros often worse than world cups we were abject at the tournaments in Germany 88 And Holland 2000 But Portugal 2004, we were half decent though we did manage to lose to France despite being a goal up with just a few minutes left, but nearly all of our tournaments end with glorious failure on penalties after matches where we have given a decent account of ourselves.

This is Southgates 4th tournament we have qualified as group winners in all 4, in 3 of the 4 we have ended up on the ‘right’ side of the draw and done enough without really playing that well to make progress to a semi final and a final.

I am as frustrated as anyone by Englands games so far but it’s not unusual and the standard of the tournament hasn’t been great generally across the matches that I have seen. It’s knock out football now and we need to win 4 matches in a row to win the tournament not something we have done very often in tournament formats possibly not since 1966

10. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Isn't the answer to play Saka as left wing back. Back 3 with Walker, Alexander Arnold, Bellingham Rice, Mainoo, Saka in midfield and then Foden and Kane up front?

11. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I don’t like that answer <laugh>

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  12. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

Belgium's kit makes it look like a bunch of their players aren't wearing shorts. Not a good thing, in my opinion.

Anthony Taylor is reffing too, so I might have to switch to the other match.

13. Left on the Shelf

You're a big fan of Saka I see.....<laugh>

14. littleDinosaurLuke

littleDinosaurLuke Well-Known Member

And then there’s Grealish :emoticon-0138-think

15. Alfie Conn

Alfie Conn Well-Known Member

Big Ange laughed at that suggestion when Wrighty came up with it , no mate Saka is the best right sided player in the prem atm was his answer

16. Dier Hard

Dier Hard G'day mate!

I’m a broken record with it but for me it probably matters little with regards to formation and selection.

With the management and tactics of Southgate, we’ll never see this England squad reach its full potential. Whether it’s enough to prevent us from winning the tournament we’ll soon see but the huge optimism I had pre-tournament has been destroyed by fat nose.

I think any semi-competent team knocks us out now.

17. KingHotspur

That’s why I’m not as harsh on Southgate as others have been. No england manager has ever managed to make England play amazing football and results wise he matches or exceeds all but one. I still think he should be gone after this tournament as it’s time for a change but it doesn’t mean success because of a change at the top.

BinghamSpur and The Changing Man like this.
  18. SpursDisciple

SpursDisciple Booking: Mod abuse - overturned on appeal
    Forum Moderator

Big Ange also thought it a good idea to resign Werner. He's not always right

19. Spurf

Spurf Thread Mover
    Forum Moderator

Venables reacted brilliantly during games and Joe Mercer in a short stay got the team playing Redknapp like. He just picked the team and said go and enjoy yourselves,they did.

Also the big countries have been weak during Southgates tenure that has not been the case before. All in all the cards have fallen for Southgate and he has failed to cash in. I have been watching England for nearly 60 years and Southgate is the worst manager in that time IMO

20. KingHotspur

Even worse than Hodgson and McClaren?