1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

How do you feel about Gao partnership?

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by fran-MLs little camera, Aug 14, 2017.

?

How do you feel about Gao partnership?

1. Am excited.

42 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. Am concerned.

9 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Neutral, but willing to wait and see.

89 vote(s)
    62.7%
  4. Very unhappy.

2 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. saintlyhero

saintlyhero Well-Known Member

It maybe that the Gao's are able to bring commercial growth, more than raw cash.

As we know this is an area of the club which has been improving but is still a long way behind the competition.
    Through Lander sports you would imagine he has a few contacts which could help grow that side of the club

2. Jos Say No

Jos Say No Well-Known Member

I'm positive because there's still a reason to be excited about 3pm every Saturday.

Having new owners doesn't change that, just like the players in and out the door don't.

3. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

I'm worried because I still can't understand why anyone who isn't a billionaire wanting to participate in a dick waving exercise would want a PL club.

Obviously I fully expect this post to be thrown back in my face once we've achieved CL qualification :1980_boogie_down:

fatletiss likes this.
  4. Ian Thumwood

Ian Thumwood Well-Known Member

I was referring to the Liebherrs being the "sound and balanced" people.

Le Tissier’s Laces likes this.
  5. garysfc

garysfc Well-Known Member

:emoticon-0148-yes:

6. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Still unsure whether it's good or bad that it is Jisheng personally rather than Lander?

7. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Someone called it being nearer to the money...companies can be a limb that is lopped off. No idea myself.

8. fran-MLs little camera

Have to say that I liked being owned by the Leihberrs....little bit sad to think we are moving away from Markus:emoticon-0106-cryin....though he may have sold us before now....we will never know. I feel we have lost a bit of uniqueness, but that is just an emotional thing. Have to look to the future now.

9. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

If I was GAO and wanted to do something to have the fans on board, I'd be announcing "The Markus Liebherr Stand" very soon.

I know Kat wouldn't be keen, but the fans would be.

#MarkusLiebherrStand

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  10. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Which stand Fats? I agree in principle but the stands are currently named after local Southampton landmarks, so which would you risk upsetting to name after Markus?

11. Saints FC 76

Saints FC 76 Well-Known Member

Personally I'd keep the stands as they are. Liebherr has a lounge in his honour and I prefer that to a stand.

12. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

To be fair, if they wanted to get the fans on board, they could sign Coutinho, keep VVD, bring in Rickie as a striker coach, and give away a free drink before every home game. Also, if we fail to score at home we get a £10 voucher to spend in the shop :)

Whiteley Saint and Missing Lambo like this.
  13. Missing Lambo

Missing Lambo Well-Known Member

I'm with you on the emotional thing, Fran. But then I mourn the loss of that era when we had a team who played out us out of obscurity into the PL, picking up exciting players on the way like Jay. There was something special about that team, even the not so great players who made significant contributions to our rise. I doubt I'll ever have the same emotional tie that I felt for the likes of Morgan, Rickie, Jose et al. Whatever any of them have done since, and however they behaved on departure (are you listening, Adam), there were some magical match days.

Now I'm back to simply supporting a team in red and white that I've loved for over half a decade. Like all fans I have my favourites - Steven Davis is one of mine - but it will never match the closeness we felt as fans for that brilliant double-promotion era.

Still, as my beautiful granddaughter said to me recently, in relation to something completely different, we shouldn't waste energy mourning things that are passed, but be glad we had those experiences. My gratitude to the Liebherr family is immeasurable. Now I'll raise a glass to our new owner, and wish him well

14. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

I'm cautiously optimistic. Don't know anything concrete about Gao (like most of us here) so I don't see a reason why not to give him the benefit of a doubt. Anyway, we're basically a self sustainable club without any significant investment from our owners recently and with Gao we can stay the same or if he puts some more money in the club, that's great.

15. fran-MLs little camera

We've got the pavilion at the training ground though.

16. St. Luigi Scrosoppi

St. Luigi Scrosoppi Well-Known Member

I am feeling mixed about this. I do not like to see something that is good being lost for something about which there is only uncertainty.

This may just be my age as I have long ago lost the excitement and anticipation of youth and now just want things to stay exactly as they are.

17. Onionman

Onionman Well-Known Member

My opinion? Saints will run out onto the pitch on Saturday and play to win.

The rest is froth.

Vin

18. Puck

Puck Well-Known Member

Personally I've voted neutral.

I suspect Kat had taken us as far as she could (or was prepared to, not that it really matters) so I'm not saddened to see her go as others seem to be. I understand the slight sadness of the "end of an era" but I think that time had gone anyway to be honest.

On the other side of the equation, Gao doesn't appear to be a Sheikh or Abramovich sugar daddy type but beyond that I simply don't know enough about him to be either excited or concerned by his arrival

Saints FC 76 likes this.
  19. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

i am so excited i can hardly contain this

20. ihatemyselfandwanttodie

ihatemyselfandwanttodie Well-Known Member

Well, with Gazza about to be shipped out, clearly the asset stripping has started. I think we should nail everything else down now before the **** hit the fan.