1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Honeyman

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by Gil T Azell, Jul 31, 2019.

1. SAFCDRUM

SAFCDRUM Well-Known Member

Its a strange one. He didn't go on our Portugal trip albeit for an alleged injury. I'd be surprised if we were actively looking to ship him off given he was captain and local lad etc but given the players signed and young ones in squad, if he was on a decent wage then good luck to him in his new adventure.

It shouldn't be a loss to the team and if we can spend the fee and wages on another full back or wherever then crack on.

2. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

Exactamundo. The ball doesn't stick to him, and he's not fast enough for league 1 but his fast one-touch play could suit him in the right Championship team.

3. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1564696040811.jpg
    We have some proper nobs supporting our club

Sunderpitt likes this.
  4. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

Where did he even get that idea from I've not heard anything about that.

Even just the over the moon to see the back of him comment, twat. Aye there's nothing worse than a local lad who loves the club being made captain and doing their best on the pitch.

5. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

They aren't rushing this deal through.
    Had his medical yesterday but no further news, why do transfers take forever these days?

6. kirklees mackem

kirklees mackem Well-Known Member

according to Sunderland echo, he's passed his medical today and just paperwork to complete. should be confirmed later

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  7. cumbrianmackem

cumbrianmackem Well-Known Member

He's gone, it's on the club Website, good luck George.

Hefty fullback, Nacho and RTB like this.
  8. RTB

RTB Well-Known Member

Good luck George - a great servant to the club and does not deserve any of the flack being thrown in his direction.

Sunderland AFC today announced that George Honeyman has joined Hull City.
    The midfielder, who captained the Lads throughout the 2018-19 season, has signed a three-year deal at the KCOM Stadium, moving to the Championship side for an undisclosed fee.
    Honeyman joined the club at the age of ten, progressing through the ranks at the Academy of Light and featuring at under-18 and under-23 level before making his senior debut in 2015 against Bradford City.
    Two years later, the 24-year-old enjoyed a breakthrough campaign before going on to make 97 appearances and scoring 17 goals in red and white, while also leading the club to Wembley on two occasions.
    After completing his move, Honeyman said: “Sunderland AFC has been home for over a decade, and I will forever be in the club’s debt for providing me with the opportunities they have. The club has shaped me as a player and as a person, and they are the reason I have been able to live out my lifelong dream of becoming a professional footballer. Sunderland will always be my club, and I will continue to follow it as a supporter for the rest of my life. From the academy coaches to the first-team management, and everyone in between, and to the supporters who always backed me throughout the highs and lows, thank you.”
    SAFC’s manager, Jack Ross, added: “Very few players progress through an academy system and then go on to captain that same club, so George can be incredibly proud of what he’s achieved during his time at Sunderland. He is still a young man, but in the last few years, he has taken on immense responsibility during tough times to help drive the club forward. During my time at the club, his attitude and approach has been first class, and although his passion towards both the club and his profession will be missed, we all wish him well.”
    Everyone at SAFC would like to thank George for his contribution and professionalism throughout his 14 years at the club, and wish him the very best of luck for the future.

Sandy Camel, Nordic and smithy in nl like this.
  9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

To a degree the ‘flack’ for George wasn’t really his directly, more an overall of a bunch of midfielders that don’t have enough influence.

I hope he does amazing down there and has a great career.

10. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Just watched his ‘welcome to Hull’ video and the lad is clearly devastated to have been shoved out.

For all that on a footballing perspective I don’t think it hurts us, he will be a better player a level up, it’s sad to see a home grown lad clearly forced out by the club, against his will by the looks of it.

cumbrianmackem, RTB and Gil T Azell like this.

11. Sunderpitt

Sunderpitt Well-Known Member

For me George Honeyman was a local lad who gave 100% effort every time he went onto the pitch.

However IMHO he was not a skipper and never really found a position in the team where he could shine... he did, however, score some useful goals, but really he was not a winger, nor a striker or really a defensive or creative midfielder... but he was a trier. I may be wrong but I doubt he will be missed that much on the pitch.

Ross it was who picked him as a skipper and kept putting him in the team...

I also wish George Honeyman all the best and wish him well, I hope he has along and successful career.

Bexinio, Nacho, Dorset and 4 others like this.
  12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

I’d say you’ve nailed that. He will do well for Hull I’m sure.

Gil T Azell likes this.
  13. Jack TheLad

Jack TheLad Well-Known Member

He's skipper for Hull tonight.

RTB likes this.
  14. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Well done to the lad. I must say i find it abit strange though. I couldnt get my head round why he was Captain with us, but I suppose you could always say its because he'd spend so long at the club and he had the club in his heart.
    I have no idea why Hull would decide to pick him?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Jack TheLad and Nads like this.
  15. Nordic

Nordic Well-Known Member

and they're winning 3-0, good on him

Nacho likes this.
  16. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He did alright too by the sounds of it. Probably be a good player in a decent side, I didn't think he looked hugely out of place in the prem for us but he's obviously not suited to lower league **** fests.

17. clockstander

clockstander Well-Known Member

Good to hear, I always liked Honeyman and hope his critics are proved wrong, I remember Claudio Marangoni, not saying George was anywhere near that level, but the lack of appreciation was imo.

18. gelders pie

gelders pie Well-Known Member

Good luck to him . He’s bound to have to play against us some time . Remember he’s therefore also bound to get the winner against us . Put the mortgage on it - it always happens to us !!

19. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

20. Brainman

Brainman Well-Known Member

One goal, one assist today.
    Three wins.
    Top of the league.
    And a mullet.
    <doh>