1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Holidays

Discussion in 'Hull City' started by Chazz Rheinhold, May 10, 2022.

1. GlassHalfHull

GlassHalfHull Well-Known Member

Got the train from Santa Barbara to Salinas; nearest stop to Monterey. Goes right through the USAF site where Spacex is. Also, trains often have a panoramic carriage with seats facing the windows, and you can get a free guide to tell a few tall tails. Train goes very slowly at times in some amazing scenery. We had pelicans flying alongside for a while too. Memorably made up for me accidentally forgetting my driving licence as we set off on holiday...

SW3 Chelsea Tiger likes this.
  2. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Might have been me that recommended it?
    We certainly went whale watching of Monterey Bay and it was a cracking day out. Might depend on time of year though?

Obviously recommend Alcatraz, and hopping on trams if you’re in SF @Tigerboy98
    I liked it down by the pier area for food.

3. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

It was you, just didn’t want to name drop ya.

Agree about Alcatraz, was a different match day experience to what I expected. I found it quite sobering & eerie in places. Easy to pre-book, it was busy,

Riding the trams was ace too,

dennisboothstash likes this.
  4. dennisboothstash

dennisboothstash Well-Known Member

Agreed about Alcatraz
    Wasn’t quite what I expected to experience I must say.
    We’d had advice to go second to last trip of the day so you’re there when it goes dark. Worked brilliantly and they even let me and Mrs Tash past the red rope on the boat so we were in front of the bridge of the boat as it came back in to SF in the dark as it’s all lit up. All we did was asked for a tip as to which side was best to be at, and possibly dropped the ‘it’s our 25th anniversary’ line (you make your own luck!) and the Captain took us to one side and walked us round to there completely on our own. I imagine we looked very much like DiCaptio and Winslet on the bow…
    Gave same advice to Askew, and it turned out we’d used all the pick up. They had dreadful weather and nearly had to spend the night on Alcatraz!!!

askewshair and Sir Cheshire Ben like this.
  5. Sir Cheshire Ben

Sir Cheshire Ben Well-Known Member

If we go back I’ll try it … obvs we didn’t look old enough the last time.

Askew would have been fine … he’s used to roughing it at the Allam’s.

6. Plum

Plum Well-Known Member

OK, holiday tale. Went whale watching out of Monterey. I was on the lower deck, whales galore, fantastic sight. Suddenly, girl on upper deck chucked up on the back of my head. Crew were helpful as much as they could be but I still stank like last man out of Huil Cheese on a satdee night.
    Apart from that a great trip, but it is 3 hours so if you might be seasick take a pill before you go. I did and I was fine, the young girl who dumped on my head hadn't.

7. Red top reader

Red top reader Well-Known Member

The one phrase you used stood out …” generous portions “ especially with pie and mash… will be giving them a go….ta…..ps. Kids are still ****ing arguing… spent 40 quid in the amusements here in less than half an hour… Jesus wish I was in Antigua with their mum and dad…lol

askewshair likes this.
  8. Sumatran_Tiger

Sumatran_Tiger Well-Known Member

Visit El Capitan, Sierra, High Sierra, Mojave, Catalina, Big Sur, Monterey and Ventura ;)

askewshair likes this.
  9. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

Probably too late for this time but if you are in the area again the Foxhound at Flixton is a good place for generous portions. reasonable prices as well

Red top reader likes this.
  10. askewshair

askewshair Well-Known Member

Yes, we followed DBT’s advice re getting the last ferry. While on the island, the weather suddenly changed to monsoon type rain and gales. The ferry was moored up, but smashing against the quay, making it impossible for people to embark. Probably a couple of hundred (wild guess) were shepherded back inside the prison. After a few hours they they took some of us back on the ferry, but it was bloody treacherous actually boarding and the majority didn’t fancy it. There was a lot of people throwing up on the short journey back. The weather didn’t improve, so have no idea how many actually got back! As it is a well known international attraction and the Americans are usually well prepared for such events, I was shocked how much the staff were flapping.
    Last time I listen to bloody DBT!
    That weather continued for our remaining time in SF so missed out on booked bike ride across the Golden Gate the following day and then the whale watching from Monterrey. Saw enough to fall in love with the city though. Our next leg of the road trip was through Yosemite, which is certainly a ‘must see’. We continued through Death Valley ( on the way to Vegas), which was a fantastic experience, though may be a bit too far if you’re actually basing yourself in California.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2022

11. Red top reader

Just in Malaga airport waiting to fly back to Leeds Bradford, as I sat in the mens having a number two over the tannoy a lady informed us that masks were no longer compulsory to were but on public transportation they are. Then 10 seconds later she said we advise everyone to wear a mask in the airport… lol. As I got my arse off the pan it flush itself, wasn’t until I realised I was in a disabled toilet and that that was why. Ooops!!!

12. Chazz Rheinhold

Chazz Rheinhold Well-Known Member

I’m in Castro territory here but wasn’t it mark Twain who said
    The coldest winter I’ve ever spent was summer in San Francisco

askewshair and TwoWrights like this.
  13. Red top reader

Jesus it’s hot in here, 24 degrees and 73% humidity, big mistake putting jeans on and not staying with shorts…

14. originallambrettaman

originallambrettaman Mod Moderator
    Staff Member

It’s a famous Mark Twain quote, despite the fact that he never said it.

15. Cityzen

Cityzen Well-Known Member

Some more of his -

A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.

The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.

Like the last one.

TwoWrights likes this.
  16. TwoWrights

TwoWrights Well-Known Member

Once a **** always a ****. :emoticon-0111-blush
    TwoWrights.

The views expressed in my posts are not necessarily mine.

Ric Glasgow and rovertiger like this.
  17. PLT

PLT Well-Known Member

I was there for my honeymoon in May this year. Didn't think to take a coat or out cos it's California isn't it, boiling surely. But Christ the freezing wind down near the piers was just a joke. Hull wind does my head in at times but this was something else. We could barely hear each other talk and it started to make me quite grumpy. I hate wind me.

18. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

That was the thing that struck me about San Fransico, away from the pier it was short sleeve weather, but near the pier the wind was biting.

steverico likes this.
  19. John Ex Aberdeen now E.R.

John Ex Aberdeen now E.R. Well-Known Member

It's staggering on social media the number of people moaning they didn't win a trip to Turkey, it's a lottery, that is what happens, some win some don't!

20. tigerrev

tigerrev Well-Known Member

<laugh> 12,000 members and there's only 160 places yet people think they were a shoo in <laugh>