1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Help needed with Sky TV Box

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by mackemwelder, Oct 5, 2017.

1. mackemwelder

mackemwelder Well-Known Member

I've just ordered Sky Q (cos i got a cracking deal after threatening to quit) and been told that i have until next week to watch all my recordings on my old box.

Is there any way i can back them up to a hard drive? or any other way of saving the recordings?

I haven't got time to watch them all and will be gutted if i lose them.

2. Brian Storm

Brian Storm Well-Known Member

Have you checked if your recorded programs are available on demand?

3. mackemwelder

Aye mate some are, but i've accumulated quite a bit of music related stuff that's no longer available on Sky. I can download it from elsewhere probably, but just thought there would be a way of taking it from my old Sky Box?

The guy who i did the deal with for Sky Q sort of intimated that you can do it, but wouldn't elaborate further for obvious reasons.

4. Bizarreknives

Bizarreknives Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

No, get ready to binge watch as you will lose them all.

5. Brian Storm

6. mackemwelder

BUGGER!!!!! the missus isn't going to be very happy when i explain that i have to sit in front of the TV for the next 3 weeks :)

Cheers lads, just thought they might have been a way of backing the old stuff up.

For the record, Sky offered me Sky Q Multi Room (2 rooms) plus Unlimited Fibre Broadband for £65 a month, i was paying £107 a month for regular Sky Multi Room and **** speed broadband so i'm well chuffed. And all because i rang up to complain about the **** broadband speeds, the guy got all stroppy so i told him to shove it up his arse (literally) and two days later i got a call from the 'Cancelations Team'

Might be worth a try if anyone is thinking of making the switch.

7. Brian Storm

Virgin Unlimited SuperFibre70 £11 including line rental.

My Laptop and Playstation 4 are my tv. Building up a nice media library through downloads. I use an app called Plex. Plex on my laptop in laymans turns the laptop into my own private mini server which can read any file I sync to it. The Playstation4 plex app then reads the server and gives me access to the files. Legal app, just the downloading part that's dodgy. You find your required file, in it are all files named with a screen shot. "Just like Flix"

Basically I've got my own personal netfilx where the entire content is decided by me. No way a company can shut it down. So all my tv and internet needs completely fulfilled on £11 quid. And because my server is private, the service is never slowed down by other people Streaming so a high speed internet just isn't necessary.

commachio likes this.
  8. mackemwelder

I like the sound of that mate, but we don't have cable where i live, they say it's coming soon but that was 4 years ago FFS. I'm stuck with Sky or BT and i've got one of them 65" Ultra LED TV thingy's so may as well take advantage of the Sky Q offer until something better comes along.

The other issue is my missus. I'm computer savvy and can manage with most things techno wise, but my missus struggles to turn the TV over FFS!!! she'd have no chance at all with networking or doing what you are doing. Considering i work overseas, she'd be staring at a blank screen most of the time.

commachio likes this.
  9. Brian Storm

Well I'll be doing it with a base unit when I move(through laptop at the minute) and the server will never turned off. So it just a case of opening the App on my PlayStation 4 the the rest is no different to any catch up, on demand or streaming service. I'll also be running high spec games and had live streaming. It's going to be bang on.

My virgin price is through threatening to leave, great price. But when I move it's doubtful there will be Virgin there so it will be back to a more expensive deal with somewhere else unfortunately.

10. mackemwelder

Does that all work through WiFi or is it RJ45? i used to run a similar set up called a NAS Drive, but it was the old style HD that was installed and it went tits up after a few years and i just never bothered replacing it. It wasn't movies or music, although it was capable, i used it mainly for work files and photo's, etc.
    Oddly enough, i was looking at a similar system in Tesco's last night, but it was around £300 for a 4TB drive and it relied on RJ45 from your router so i gave it a miss. Basically i'm looking to set up an idiot proof system for the missus for when i'm away at work.

11. Brian Storm

Wifi mate. Cost nowt. The Lappy and PS4 has everything needed already built in.

12. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

They say there’s no way of keeping them when you move to Q, but it’s stored on a hard drive and surely any hard drive can be copied?

I’ll say right now I’ve no clue how, I just know that **** can be done. Mines nearly full of recordings and I’ve watched the sum total of none of them.

I don’t know why I bother like.

13. Brian Storm

Looked itnto that. Warranty voided. If it ****s up after it's been opened they'll charge him full whack apparently.You can do it using a windows pc.

14. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Aye but it’s on his old box so who gives a **** about warranty?

15. Brian Storm

You need both Hard drives out apparently to get the data onto the hard drive in the new box.

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

But surely you can copy a hard drive once removed is my point?

17. Brian Storm

Yeah but not onto the hard drive of the new box without that too.

Something to do with the Q Box being completely different technology entirely mean that's the only compatible way to transfer data and it voids the warranty. I don't understand why but both boxes need opening up with both hard drives removed to transfer.

18. mackemwelder

I was thinking along the same lines mate, there's got to be some way of pulling everything from the hard drive surely? I'm not bothered about warranties or **** like that, the equipment belongs to me and isn't compatible with the new Sky Q anyway so it will never be used again. I read somewhere yesterday that there's a software program called Plex that can be used to read the files on the HD, but haven't had a chance to really look into it yet, will try and check it out today if i get time.

19. mackemwelder

I'm not that bothered about getting it onto the new box Bri, just thought it was a waste to just bin all my recordings and wondered if there was any way of saving them. I normally download a **** load of stuff to take away and watch at work, so would like to do the same with all y old recordings from Sky if possible and maybe watch on my laptop.

20. fredor

fredor Well-Known Member

The problem I am having is Sunderland always play crap on it