1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Happy 50th MLT!

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by saintrichie123, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

My second favourite goal from him was the free kick against Wimbledon, can't find it after a quick look though.

2. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

I've met Matt on a few occasions, the most recent being at the Cup Semi Final at Wembley. Totally top, top bloke.

My first meeting with him was in 2002. My Dad's firm sponsored Paul Jones the GK and every year you get to go to the Player's Dinner. My brother was meant to go with my Dad, but for some reason last minute he dropped out so I went instead.

When we walked in to the room (it was held at the Dell), there was a table plan and I almost fell over - my Dad was next to Paul Jones, then it was me, then it was Matt. I was 32 at the time and Matt was (and still is to be fair) my ultimate Saints hero. This is the one and only time I have been totally starstruck! When we took our seats, Matt came over and looked at the name on the table and said "oh you must be Robert". I told him he couldn't make it so he ripped up the name tag and said "Well I didn't want to meet him anyway, what do you want to drink mate..a cheeky vodka to get the night going?". He then brought over a couple of shots and we downed them like best buddies. To be fair it took my about 10 minutes after we sat down to speak as I was so starstruck...I couldn't believe I was having dinner with the great man. He was great entertainment all night and was really humble and self depreciating.

Anyway, that was 2002. I have met him on 4 or 5 occasions since at events, and each time he looks at me and says "Mark? right?". He did that at Wembley at the Semi Final and I was like some sort of god to the people with me :)

My Favourite MLT goal is the second v Newcastle in 1994 - I have told him that a few times, but he isn't having it :)

Happy Birthday Matt!!!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I was in the Stretford end for this game :)

thereisonlyoneno7 and Libby like this.
  4. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Do you think he would consider coming out of retirement. :(

I have always said it was an honour to be able to say that you watched Le Tissier play.

5. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Glenda, hang your head in shame:

6. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Happy Birthday MLT. My favourite goal:

thereisonlyoneno7 likes this.
  7. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

Happy Birthday Matt! Here’s probably your most sentimental goal:

I have a signed photo of it framed on my wall:
    4E6237D3-407A-4541-9016-D142C7BB9630.jpeg

8. Archers Road

Archers Road Urban Spaceman

My abiding Matt memory was far from being one of his best games. It was 1988, and for various reasons, having fairly recently arrived in North London I very rarely got to watch Saints. Southampton seemed a lot further away in those days, and I had other priorities.

Anyway, one freezing October night, my mate - a Scunthorpe Utd fan - who lived within walking distance of WHL, rang me up and said Saints were playing at Spurs that night. Tottenham had just bought Walsh, Stewart, and Gascoigne for a considerable sum of money, and great things were expected (some things never change). So off we went to watch Saints, probably the first time I'd done so for about a year, and get a gander at this new look Spurs side that were all over the back pages.

By the time we paid at the turnstiles, we were already 1-0 down. Playing pretty well though - all three Wallace bros plus Glen Cockerill were in that side. But by the second half it looked inevitable that Spurs would hold on to their lead. Then some gangly beanpole kid started warming up on the touchline, and the Saints fans started getting excited and began chanting his name. On he came, and didn't really seem to do much; I recall a bloke behind me yelling "Get Letissier into it more!" Then came an effortless cross field pass and Cockeril was in for the equaliser. Not even sure if Matt was involved in our second goal, but the whole team seemed more energised and creative, and there was only going to be one winner after that. Turned the game on it's head without seeming to try.

Gascoigne, as I recall, had no impact on the game at all.

Happy birthday Matt.

9. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I bumped into Matt quite recently at a Hampshire T20 game this year. Luckily I was in my Saints shirt so I just walked up to him and said hi. As others have said, top bloke.

10. sotonsaint

sotonsaint Well-Known Member

I like Matty genuine nice bloke and awesome player in his day. At times though when I’ve watched soccer Saturday particularly during the Cortese era he pretty much used it as platform to almost slag off Nicola and club off and get people to back him up when he couldn’t get comp tickets for games etc... Which he just assumed he would be entitled to purely through loyalty, and Nicola said no ,I pay for mine so can pay for yours, MLT then had a sulk over. He also gives his opinions on Southampton matters which is then taken as the general fans opinion as a whole which for me personally has sometimes not been the case, which I find quite annoying.

11. RedandWhiteManofKent

RedandWhiteManofKent Well-Known Member

One of a kind.

Never met him but in terms of his legend status don't need too.

No-one can take him away from us. As saints fans we may never share memories of winning the title but we will always have MLT. His quality, loyalty, goals and match winning performances will always make us smile.

Happy birthday MLT. <bubbly>

12. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

Absolute legend.

90's Saints was like watching Messi playing for Eastleigh.

fatletiss and Archers Road like this.
  13. Libby

Libby 9-0

Says it all when people like me who never really saw him are still utterly starstruck...

14. It's Only A Game

It's Only A Game Well-Known Member

My favourite too. Not as spectacular as some of the others but just sublime skill. The free kick against Wimbledon is one I could watch over and over too.

Whenever I watch his collection of wonder goals it is awe mixed with anger. How on earth could England afford to ignore such talent? Then later on they complained because there was no artistry in the English game anymore! <doh>

Here's some more

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  15. It's Only A Game

The video has been blocked by the FA, just like they did with his international career

16. It's Only A Game

When you look at the brick by brick goals, just check out the crowd. I've just realised the Chapel are all made out of Lego.

17. ChilcoSaint

ChilcoSaint What a disgrace
    Forum Moderator

I think you’re referring to the Milton Road End!

fatletiss and Archers Road like this.
  18. Che’s Godlike Thighs

Che’s Godlike Thighs Well-Known Member

These are, for me, the top 5 Le Tiss piss takes of all time:

1st - Lob against Schmeichel in the 6-3. ****ing audacious.
    2nd - That free kick against Wimbledon.
    3rd - Mazy run against Norwich (2nd goal of hat-trick game 1990).
    4th - The keepie-uppie goal against Newcastle (2-1).
    5th - The left foot belter against Forest in same game he missed the pen.

19. shoot_spiderman

shoot_spiderman Power to the People

<laugh> Love it

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

I adore that Forest goal. Revenge served cold and deadly.