1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Guess the testing ranking.

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Big Ern, Feb 1, 2019.

1. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

Got to be worth a punt on Leclerc for WDC this year, hasn't it?

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  2. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

Vettel is fast when out front unchallenged. If that is the case, and Lewis or others can't get close enough then I suspect LeClerc, even if fast, will remain number 2. The title win is so important. However, if Vettel has to scrap, even if he has the fastest car, then I suspect his old weakness will return, i.e. poor judgement under stress. If that happens early then LeClerc has a moment to get the backing of the team. Ferrari, want this title however they get it.
    The sadness will be if they walk it rather than have to fight for it.
    The testing is about identifying where improvements can come post the first 4 races or so, that is when we will see who can be on form till the summer break.

3. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

Yes :)

4. Number 1 Jasper

I take your point .

I just get the feeling this year that , for the first time in how long ? Ferrari will not back a #1 for a while

They will give CLC parity for the first few races , imagine what that will do for His confidence ?

I may well be wrong , but I just sense a change .

Mind you , At the end of the day , they are Italian <whistle>

5. moreinjuredthanowen

Im not going to jump the ferrari bandwagon yet.

A) A lot of team comment have said aero coming not actuslly on cars so I'm going to guess there's a lot to come from all.

B) a 0.3 second gap was mooted. To be honest that's entirely possible but a engine modes reveal could just as easily occur in quali.

C) we don't know who is hardest on tyres yet

D) there's always the possibility that in the race ferrari **** up like last year, something breaks, mistakes, strategy errors etc.

6. eddie_squidd

eddie_squidd Well-Known Member

I get the feeling ,that given how much the other teams are talking up Ferrari, that A-C may be a lot less relevant than D. Because you can never rule out D.

7. Number 1 Jasper

This is what will cost them , if anything does ( IMHO ) .

8. moreinjuredthanowen

Yeah, last year they were dominant in first races and delivered rubbish results through errors.

Vettel should have have virtually unassailable lead after 4 races.

However..... if they are dominant... i can see le clerc delivering far more than Kimi... sorry Kimi but you only went backwards in races.? If they are I can see a procession as long as they don't **** strategies.

Thus far Merc and Ferrari look rock solid... we will see.

9. moreinjuredthanowen

Last year

Vettel won race 1 after safety car, overtook hamilton.. Hamilton was on a surprise poll day 1
    Vettel won race 2, from pole
    Vettel 8th in race 3 after several incidents, got a tangle with max. Was one pole
    Vettel 2nd after red bulls hit each other and safety car
    Vettel 5th after putting under vsc, team puts him out behind max who never lets him get past. Hamilton walks it.

The long and short of it was ferrari had a n advantage and didnt grind mercedes under

cosicave likes this.
  10. BrightLampShade

BrightLampShade Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

One thing that seems to have been forgotten already by "experts" is that Mercedes have a whole new PU design this season. For what ever reason it's not been mentioned.

Ferrari look strong, very strong, but we never know until Aus. After all, it's testing

11. SgtBhaji

SgtBhaji Well-Known Member

Ferrari are evolving the car from an already strong position, it's reliable, it's quick, it generally does ok on tyres and they have arguably the best driver pairing on the grid by a long chalk. I think those simple things are what have people thinking they're could come out of the gates first. You're right though, it is just testing and it's all just speculation atm.

I just hope the aero changes allow for at least a little closer racing. If Merc, Ferrari or <insert team name here> are walking away with it, I may have to switch off.

12. Number 1 Jasper

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  13. El_Bando

El_Bando Can't remember, where was I?
    Forum Moderator

14. Justjazz

Justjazz Well-Known Member

I heard Horner, when speaking about the Honda engine, said something along the lines it looks like a beautiful piece of swiss watch design and it it fits beautifully into the chassis (not the exact quote but words to that effect). Errr...am I wrong but didn't they design the chassis to achieve this perfect fit and haven't they done that with all engines. That sounded like a man dodging an answer to me.

Now, in my perfect world, we have Max (the boy) out front with Vettel looking to perform an overtake and 'the boy' doing a double wiggle taking them both out, Vettel in his rage screaming at 'the boy' with all the expletives we know he can use and landing a punch and Horner saying ''its outrageous, no one should resort to violence!!'' Meanwhile, out on track we have the the young buck Le Clerc vying with Hamilton for the win with eerrrrr Kimi in third...again!!

Yep, I would like to see that one. Talent versus emotion.

ched999uk and Number 1 Jasper like this.
  15. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

Imagine it’s Abu Dhabi and Vettel and Verstappen get held up by Kimi Räikkönen for 40 laps to hand Daniel Ricciardo the title.

Would the internet break?

Justjazz and ched999uk like this.
  16. Number 1 Jasper

Its for Drivers that don't have a super Licence . Applies to Albon & Fittipaldi .

Albon has to do 300KM before he gets his , so he will have enough Mileage to get his before the season Begins .

Marc Priestly explains it here ( Go to 1.24 ish )

Would have loved to take the credit for it <whistle>

Big Ern, ched999uk and El_Bando like this.
  17. Quite Possibly Raving

Quite Possibly Raving Well-Known Member

This is a great thread. Enjoyed reading through.

I have a gut feeling that is is going to be an excellent season! So hard to know what to read into from testing, but looking like there will be some great plots this year. Silver vs Red. Ricciardo trying to prove his mettle. Williams and McClaren trying to right back from awful 2018s. Vettel trying to prove the doubters wrong. Some exciting rookies.

I can't wait!

Number 1 Jasper and El_Bando like this.
  18. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

Just watched #F1Elvis video on the Williams
    . Lots of little interesting bits that have not been seen on other cars!!! Don't know if they will be allowed to race as they are or if they will even make it to Aus but interesting no the less.
    They have a sort of deflector on the front wing to give outwash together with a cutout on the end wing plate. It is sort of covering the flap adjuster.
    They also have a little wing on the rear of the front suspension wishbone.
    So maybe they might have a good car, certainly lots of nice design features. If they can pull it all together maybe in a few races we will see Williams back at least to mid field.
    Just a pity that I am not willing to pay Sky to watch, so it will have to be C4 highlights for me, unless anyone knows of a better way, pm me???

19. Number 1 Jasper

Have you watched his Vlogs before ?

20. ched999uk

ched999uk Well-Known Member

I only found them about 4 months ago, but watch them when they come out. Seems good and knowledgeable.