1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grandstand Plus Development

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Dec 14, 2017.

1. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Takes me back to the days when I was a festival goer. Any loo with water was sheer luxury....

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Not one word on here about Brent selling or at least putting on the market the Pavillion site for £6m. The one he was given on the understanding he built something. You know built something he said he was going to........................that would be a first and it isn't even that. And some might wonder why I don't trust the guy.

3. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Isn't it only part of the site that he is putting up for sale....that he doesn't need ?

4. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

If you believe that then you will believe anything plym. I believe he has sold off the car park already or that is what I thought it said on the news. I believe this to be the rest of the site. I could be wrong but that was the gist of what I got out of the report. But, even if it isn't I know he aint going to build the £83m whatever it was going to be and that is just consistent with all of the projects he has ever been involved with locally. By locally I mean including Torquay.

5. notDistantGreen

6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

posh hotel I believe was the plan. Any bets it will not happen? His record of even starting any building is similar to Steve Evans winning a popularity contest. It's never happened.

7. notDistantGreen

No because a quick glance at this tells you that the council will want the hotel to open out onto their pet "boulevard" down to Millbay whereas the developers want it to face the other way. That sort of thing is why such projects stall.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

He must get a lot of trouble with where doors are then. The regret PCC have is that one ever opened up to him in the first place.

9. notDistantGreen

You haven't looked at the proposals have you..... ?

Sent from my mobile phone - E&OE

10. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Nope I haven't you are right. My opinion is based purely on history or in his case lack of it in the building field. Tell me what he has built and I might just give him the benefit of the doubt.

11. notDistantGreen

I think that's what they call blind prejudice

The developers don't want an hotel looking out onto a street adorned by people shooting up in doorways and drunks p***ing in the gutter.

The council want a pioneer to improve a near derelict area. A pioneer is, in a business sense, a man lying dead in the desert with an arrow in his back.

This isn't trivial in a multi-million pound project.

12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I think believing him is called blind trust. Especially when neither of us know him on a personal basis. Brent has done nothing to instill confidence in keeping his word on anything so far apart from the lack of cash being spent out of his pocket. He's been quite good at that although I'm not advocating he splash the cash recklessly. Name me something he hasn't changed, cancelled or just plain not done that he has told others he would? He makes himself seem dodgy and untrustworthy by his actions or lack of them and it is therefore not unrealistic to believe he is.

13. notDistantGreen

Many projects fall by the wayside... it's not unusual.

14. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

notdistant, I am fed up with saying this but feel it needs repeating. In Brent's case is is not many that fall by the wayside it is ALL that fall there. I'm not attacking the bloke as such I'm pointing out facts. In his dealings with this City he hasn't delivered anything so far. To the untrained eye in business that looks like he has used his "saving" of Argyle to gain advantage and then failed to do the rest except to trouser money in fairly large quantities. PCC probably wish he was somewhere else now.

15. notDistantGreen

I'll tell you a story. Years ago, I was delegated to attend board meetings of a subsidiary company that made and fixed high quality natural stone cladding to prestigious building projects

One project, Paternoster Square, went into the budget every year and it never materialised. It was a biggie.

When there was an agreement on a plan, which wasn't often there was no money. When there was money, there was no plan.

Checking on it now, proposals were first sought in 1987. The project eventually completed in 2003 to a completely different plan.

And you complain about delays of a couple of years. That's virtually instantaneous!

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

All very interesting notdistant but that story does absolutely nothing to convince me Brent is ever serious about any of the projects he puts his name to. Obviously being a layman I don't know what goes on in Boardrooms anywhere. Probably the reason I never will be in any Boardroom is because if I say I'm going to do something then I do it. If I make a promise I'm either where I say I'll be or complete whatever it is I'm promising. Clearly that debars me from business. I repeat he has kept one promise. That's the one where he said he wouldn't spend anything on Argyle. Guess he isn't always talking in riddles then.

17. notDistantGreen

Unfortunately, raising project finance, putting the commercial interests together and getting the planners and the retinue of special interest agencies like the EA, the transport people and so on onside really isn't as simple as being a man of your word.

Just take a look at the number of statutory consultees on the Grandstand project
    .. and that's before it goes to public consultation.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  18. hp_bedoboy

hp_bedoboy Active Member

So they want another 1M for a new roof that's only another 4 metres wider. Could be done at a fraction of that price!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Another reason for a delay perhaps? Lack of finance this time. Need to raise more cash, bricks too expensive, shortage of bricks, it's rained this month...............

20. notDistantGreen

Oh ye of little faith.