1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Grandstand Plus Development

Discussion in 'Plymouth' started by Plymborn, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Plymborn

Plymborn Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Development granted by PCC....13 votes to nil...so will James Brent actually have to start building something for the very first time.

2. notDistantGreen

notDistantGreen Well-Known Member

Scheduled to start next year... although which bit perhaps unclear. Presumably the grandstand and ice rink will have to be done together as access to one won't be possible while the other is underway.

Saw some TV coverage on the BBC local news this morning, from somewhere down below the "control tower" shed at the Barn Park end looking up across the Mayflower "terrace" to the grandstand. My God, does it look scruffy. Sooner the better.

3. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

I noticed how scruffy and un-kept it looked around Home Park a couple of years back....rubbish blowing around...weeds everywhere....just generally run down....a visitor would just think that no one cared and put it down to laziness...just a black sack day required personally.

4. sensiblegreeny

sensiblegreeny Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

And if you pop along with a black sack you have paid for Mr Brent will be quite happy to let you do the work for free as well.

You know my opinion of Mr Brent and his building record. I will believe all of this when it has happened and the football side of Argyle gets it's first pound from the whole thing. If I live that long that is.

5. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Seems to be movement soon on the new development.

Just read elsewhere that PAFC have rented a suite at Plumer House, Crownhill. The admin staff will in the next few days be relocating there, so provisional work can start on the grandstand.
    Will that sod-up Lyndys 5 minute walk to work for a year or so ?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  6. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

It's only a 10 minute walk the other way plym so not that terrible. That's of course if you are a fit young man. Probably take Lyndie a good half hour..............

7. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

Is the Grand Stand going to be retained? I'm all for sentiment, but harsh reality would say you need the same stand structure all the way round. It'll be better in the long run.

8. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Whatever happens will definately be the cheapest possible outcome. If anything happens at all of course as I refuse to acknowledge any development is imminent given our illustrious owners track record with building anything anywhere.

PGFWhite likes this.
  9. PGFWhite

PGFWhite Well-Known Member

That's a shame because a new/improved stadium can give everyone a lift as well as attracting a new generation of supporters.

10. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Some parts will be...the rest gutted and the unused Mayflower terrace will be part of the refurbishment covered by a roof extension....what an eyesore that has been...plus being an atmosphere killer.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    PGFWhite likes this.

11. notDistantGreen

Sensible is our resident grouch, take no notice,

In addition to refurbishing the stand itself and reinstating the currently derelict Mayflower stand/terrace in front of it, Phase 1 will add conference and entertaining space, new offices and club shop and new dressing rooms onto the back of the existing structure on what is presently a Portacabin shanty town.

In Stage 2 (as yet unfunded), the corners between the stand and the existing "horse shoe" will be closed in, making Home Park a 22,000 all-seater stadium.

https://planning.plymouth.gov.uk/on...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=OUPYGCMMJPP00

PGFWhite likes this.
  12. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

Question for notdistant from the resident grouch.

Name one project that Brent has completed or even started that you are aware of locallly?

I put my faith previously into the Board who sold Argyle, my club, down the swanee and I stuck my fingers in my ears and fiddled whilst the club burned. I refuse to give anyone the benefit of any doubt again, I believe what I can see and not what's on a piece of paper called plans.

13. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

There's been a few office boxes filled ready for the move....not quite bricks I know, but a start......even a few pictures to prove it.

14. notDistantGreen

I don't know, I don't follow his doings outside PAFC. I do know from personal experience that of every 10 projects of a similar nature, only 1 or 2 tend to come to fruition. And that's the way it should be: generate lots of ideas and then test them to destruction before spending large sums of money. There's no disgrace in cancelling something when success looks doubtful but it is the worst error in the book to plough ahead with something and have it fail spectacularly later.

He's not alone is he? The Bretonside development that scuppered his previous plan seems now to be underway but a similar £100m scheme in Exeter has collapsed.

15. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

10 mins walk is a bit optimistic I think at least 20 mins is more realistic + it is all up hill. The academy staff have all already moved in and we will probably follow by the middle/end of Feb. Some of us will still have an 'office space' at Home Park- for obvious reasons - but yes things are starting to gather pace.

16. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

I don't follow the bloke either but I know he hasn't actually built anything or refurbished anything he originally agreed to do. His well being is something that matters to PAFC. If he goes tits up financially then Argyle will be looking for another owner in a panic or will go down the swanee with the rest of his empire. Following on from that, his completion record also matters for much the same reason.

As for you Lyndhurst, what's wrong with getting a bike? At least you could freewheel all the way home.................

17. lyndhurstgreen

lyndhurstgreen Active Member

Got one, but I might invest in a more modern version with gears..

18. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

.....and only two wheels as well....:D.

19. sensiblegreeny

Forum Moderator

You can get one with an engine in it as well these days. Well a sort of battery motor that boosts your speed and reduces your pedaling uphill. Even I could manage that and I have trouble going uphill at the best of times. I find it easy to go downhill though.

20. Plymborn

Forum Moderator

Should live in a bungalow sensible....the only up is ....one step over the threshold.....it's tough but some of us have to do it...:emoticon-0136-giggl.