1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Golf

Discussion in 'Newcastle United' started by Dorty Dogbreath, Oct 12, 2018.

1. Heed

Heed well known cheat

You can't go wrong at that price.
    My favourite is still the Hobson.

2. Dorty Dogbreath

Dorty Dogbreath keeper of the glow

A decent course, years since I played it but passed by a few weeks ago and it was white with snow. I've played Wallsend maybe 30 times since September, hence why my score is coming down...it helps if you know the course.

Heed likes this.
  3. Captainchaos.

Captainchaos. Well-Known Member

Does anyone know a more challenging gold course? Or one with smaller holes

4. jimileysbaldhead

jimileysbaldhead Well-Known Member

Ameobi by the Sea.

It's very underated by non golfers, however people who can play the game rate it very highly.
    It's not a fast running course but very subtle and is an understated gem.

Warmir Pouchov and Heed like this.
  5. cronemeister

cronemeister Well-Known Member

Good luck with that mate, its pissing down atm. I'm not a fan of playing in the rain like, its a ****ing mare trying to keep ya grips dry :) You're bang on with my location as well.

I think you're right if I look at the course layout now. The 10th and the 9th nowadays would've been the 18th and 17th back then. The 11th now used to be the 1st where the old club house used to be. I used to caddie on weekends when I was kid and spent many a time in the bushes waiting for balls to land from out of sight tee boxes and running on the course and nicking the balls...worra lil **** I was <laugh>.

There's a gate where I've drawn a red arrow here which is literally 2 mins from my front door so I can be on the 8th and play that nice little 9er without ever having to go near the clubhouse if I wanted to. Strangely enough there's only one Par5 on the course which is shame as that's generally where I get shots back as I'm normally on the short stuff in 2 six or seven times out of 10, GIR 9/10 i would say. 5600 yards is a fairly short course as well and I don't like the fact that there is no driving range or practice area either which I think really lets the club down. I know not a lot of places have both but at least one would be nice like.

upload_2019-2-20_7-46-24.png

Heed and Dorty Dogbreath like this.
  6. cronemeister

After my 15 hour workday yesterday i'm gonna claw my time back and take most of Fri off I reckon. Weather looks decent so might polish the steel and get out on the course for the first time this year for a practice round.

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.
  7. Dorty Dogbreath

<laugh> So that's where my 'lost' balls went! <grr> <laugh> I used to like the short par three now the 10th but Heeds youngest brother got a hole in one at the par 3 8th a few years back and refused to do the honours afterwards in the bar <laugh> Its a shame there is no driving range or putting green as its good to warm up beforehand to get in the swing, literally.

Heed likes this.
  8. Dorty Dogbreath

Do it <ok> Looks like I will dodge rain later for nine holes. Well it's better than shopping with the wifey and kids!

cronemeister likes this.
  9. cronemeister

Unless you're getting free stuff from Fat Mike's of course <laugh> Aye, rain has cleared up nicely now like.

JakartaToon and Dorty Dogbreath like this.
  10. Albert's Chip Shop

Albert's Chip Shop Top Grafter
    Forum Moderator

So you like the tighter holes eh? Stay out of Consett then mate as the ladies have a snatch like a joiners bag.

11. Warmir Pouchov

Warmir Pouchov Better than JPF

<laugh> Jimi is not happy with the Shola disrespect!

12. jimileysbaldhead

:emoticon-0105-wink:

13. Warmir Pouchov

By the way if any of you are Northumberland lads, Arcot Hall has some cracking deals on at present. They are looking for new members and corporates. Bedlington Golf Course is on my doorstep, and for me its one of the regions best courses. However I gave up my membership as it is over-saturated with members now. 5-6 hours is not my cup of tea and they've taken on too many members - got greedy basically. Arcot would not be as good a course but you can get on whenever and much more reasonably priced. Worth a look, even if just for a round.

I'm thinking about getting a membership there. I need to get my game sorted prior to representing the company in May. Had a bit of a shocker last year and let the side down. Trained heavy legs in the days before, hadn't played for 3 month, but I thought it would work out ok. It was Whickham, and anyone who has played there will know its not a course to get off line with your driver! I think my swing came back on about the 16th <laugh>

I need some lessons really, not least on my chipping which is a disgrace. I think it would fall under the category "You've got the ****ing yips mate!"

cronemeister likes this.
  14. cronemeister

I've played Arcot Hall a couple of times a while back with a bunch of mates who used to be member at Close House before they pretty much trebled the membership fees overnight, think they lost a lot of people after that. Nearly £2000 a year for the privilege, thanks but no thanks. I've played Whickham also so know what you mean :) The trick is to play 9 in the morning before an afternoon full round, by that time you're well warmed up and judging your distances in and around the green is a lot easier....assuming you haven't necked 5 pints in the bar in between rounds of course !

15. Warmir Pouchov

I can see a flaw in your plan...

16. jimileysbaldhead

So can I.

5 pints isn't enough to dull the inhibitory nerve. It's got to be a gallon to get the best out of whatever God given talent you have.

17. cronemeister

the 19th is my favourite hole <cool><cheers> hic

18. Dorty Dogbreath

I'm playing eighteen holes tomorrow and eighteen on Monday, looking for 76 for both rounds.

cronemeister likes this.
  19. jimileysbaldhead

Jeez, that's quick. It used to take me 3 hours.

cronemeister and Dorty Dogbreath like this.
  20. cronemeister

Perfect weather for a round today like, as was Saturday. Weather looks good for the rest of this week so gonna have to make my mind up on where I sign up in the next couple of days like, i'm itching to get out there now! Probably gonna be Ravensworth by the looks of it.

Dorty Dogbreath likes this.