1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

General Sports Thread

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by The Ides of March, Oct 24, 2016.

1. thereisonlyoneno7

thereisonlyoneno7 Well-Known Member

Yep Adelaide 1994. The corner Schumacher knocked him out of the final GP when he had a crippled car anyway. Stole the title off DH.

Le Tissier's Laces likes this.
  2. RSS

RSS Well-Known Member

Edit: wrong thread

3. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Thrilled for Sainz after a) losing his seat for next season and b) only just come back from having his appendix removed.

Shocking weekend for Mercedes. Lewis is probably already counting the days until he joins Ferrari.

4. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Wardley Clarke looks interesting.

5. San Tejón

San Tejón Well-Known Member

Read this somewhere today, but now can’t find it.
    For those who like a gamble on golf, in 18 of the last 19 tournaments the winner of the Masters has been a player who was in the top 10, after the first round.
    The odd one out was Tiger Woods who was tied 11 after day 1.
    No golfer has won on debut since 1979, (only happened 3 times I believe and the first two times was in the first few years of the tournament starting) although Wyndham Clark who is currently No4 in the world and a US Open winner, fancies his chances.

Edit - Horton Smith 1934, Gene Sarazan 1935 and Fuzzy Zoeller 1979, debut winners. Tournament first played 1934.

6. Number 1 Jasper

Number 1 Jasper Well-Known Member

I’m pleased Alonso is staying , but that’s one door closed for Sainz .

Fernando Alonso: Aston Martin driver signs new deal until end of 2026
    • Published
      16 minutes ago
    • comments
      Comments
    please log in to view this image
    IMAGESOURCE, REUTERS
    Image caption,
    Fernando Alonso signed for Aston Martin in 2023 and has secured eight podium finishes so far for the team

By Andrew Benson
    BBC F1 correspondent

Fernando Alonso has signed to stay with Aston Martin in Formula 1 for at least the next two seasons.

Alonso, 42, who was out of contract at the end of this season, has a new deal that will extend until at least the end of 2026, Aston Martin said.

It means Alonso will be driving in F1 at least until he is 45, and possibly beyond.

He said retirement "never went to my mind", adding: "I felt I love driving too much to stop at the moment."

Staying at Aston Martin was a "natural decision", once Alonso had made up his mind that he was prepared to make the life sacrifices that would be required by staying in F1.

Team principal Mike Krack says the two-time world champion "is hungry for success, driving better than ever, is fitter than ever".

"He is completely dedicated to making Aston Martin a competitive force," Krack said.

"Securing Fernando's long-term future with Aston Martin is fantastic news. We have built a strong working relationship over the last 18 months and we share the same determination to see this project succeed.

"We have been in constant dialogue over the last few months and Fernando has been true to his word: when he decided he wanted to continue racing, he talked to us first. Fernando has shown he believes in us, and we believe in him."

The decision takes Alonso out of the equation for potential seats at Red Bull and Mercedes next season.

Alonso said he had talked to other teams, but added: "I felt the most wanted in Aston Martin. The other conversations were just light and maybe more time was needed, whereas in Aston there was a clear desire to work together and it was the same I had."

Alonso joined Aston Martin at the start of the 2023 season and the pairing became one of the star attractions of last year.

Aston Martin made a remarkable leap to the front, and not only was Alonso able to return to the podium for the first time since 2013, but he also scoredpodiums in six of the first eight races.

He was widely regarded as one of the outstanding performers of the 2023 season, with a series of impressive drives before the team slipped fromcompetitiveness.

Had the team made the right choice of tyres in a late-race rain shower, he would have beaten world champion Max Verstappen's Red Bull to victory in Monaco.

The driver market is in flux this season following Lewis Hamilton's move from Mercedes to Ferrari for 2025 and amid unrest at Red Bull, because of thecontroversy over allegations about team principal Christian Horner's behaviour towards a female employee. Horner has denied any wrongdoing.

Alonso was of interest to both teams, so choosing to stay at Aston Martin is a big vote of confidence in the team as they seek to move towards the front of the grid.

It also buries claims that Honda's role with Aston could be a problem for Alonso, who upset the Japanese manufacturer with some public complaints about their engine when they were working together at McLaren from 2015-17.

I

7. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Not if Lance goes. And there's always Mercedes and possibly RBR.

8. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Stroll won't be going anywhere - his dad owns the team!

9. Le Tissier's Laces

I'm aware of that, Tom! But his dad is also fiercely ambitious, and if he wants to make Aston Martin world champions, he'll realise that it won't be with Lance there. Eventually.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  10. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I have to disagree. His ambitions revolve making his son world champion and I don't see him turning his back on Lance.

11. Le Tissier's Laces

Lance isn’t as bad as people like to make out, but he’s never going to be world champion.

Number 1 Jasper likes this.
  12. Number 1 Jasper

I agree , he’s not great , but he’s not dogshit either .

It’s his utterly obnoxious manner

I think much as Lawrence stroll loves his son etc , even he will eventually see that IF he is serious , he will drop his son .

13. Number 1 Jasper

RBR , hope not for his sake .

Merc oh yes IF they can get back to winning ways .

I’d like him to sign a longish contract with Sauber / Audi .

14. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

GB, against expert opinion, beat France 3-1 in Billie Jean King Cup (previously Federation Cup) and go to the finals in Spain. Well done Boulter and Raducanu.

jaySFC likes this.
  15. Shandy_top_89

Shandy_top_89 Well-Known Member

Josh Sims landing a huge blow to Rangers title chances up there in that north country.

16. Number 1 Jasper

I normally hate it when Drivers change their Helmet Designs .

However I will make an exception in Alex’s case In china :)

IMG_0557.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 19, 2024
  17. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Newey leaving Red Bull. Now THAT is a proper bombshell.

Le Tissier's Laces and jaySFC like this.
  18. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Come on Ferrari, go out and get him.

Le Tissier's Laces and jaySFC like this.
  19. tomw24

tomw24 Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I think this is the beginning of the end for Red Bull. I think they'll be ****ed now when the new regulations come in for 2026.

20. Le Tissier's Laces

Aston will offer him a ****ton of cash, but suspect he’ll go to Ferrari, which will be ace.

tomw24 likes this.