1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gaston

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Libby

Libby 9-0

My guess is about 15 seconds before he picks up an injury <ok>

Tommomo likes this.
  2. nice teeth

nice teeth Well-Known Member

This statement is only based on the season just gone, in the previous season if you remove Lambert, twat-beard & JRod, then SD scored one less goal and had more assists than the rest of our recognised midfielders (Morgan, Victor, JWP, Gaston & Cork) combined.

3. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

I'm not worried about that. He's late in his career and unlikely to suddenly change that. Not every player is going to score goals.

4. fatletiss

I don't agree. It would be ideal if he did score goals, but not what he "needed" to do.

Not the same position, but it's like saying Mark Hughes wasn't a good centre forward because he never scored enough goals. He was an excellent centre forward. Centre forwards are supposed to score goals.

5. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Davis will be used as a DM this season or CM depending on the formation. He is not good enough to play over the options available in attack. It's laughable to suggest that he can start I'm a 4-2-3-1 anywhere over than DM (other than in emergencies) with Pelle, Rodriguez, Mane, Long, Tadic, Juanmi and Ward-Prowse as options.

6. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

No one is expected to chip in with goals in a 4-2-3-1 other than the striker ? That's nonsense and you know it. Attacking players are supposed to score goals and/or set goals up. Davis was doing neither last season.

7. benditlikeabanana

benditlikeabanana Well-Known Member

It's yerba mate, made from the Holly tree its very popular in the countries in lower south america. Has more caffeine than coffee, the same health benefits as herbal tea and a little buzz similar to eating 70% coco chocolate. Not my cup of tea though

hotbovril likes this.
  8. fatletiss

TinTin, let's try and have a discussion sensibly for a change. Come on. No need for "that's nonsense and you know it"

I posted what I believe about Davis and I didn't say that only the striker is supposed to score. I rate him very highly and the fact he doesn't score goals, doesn't detract from my view. If he'd been a goal scorer in his day, he'd have played higher than Villa and Fulham. He contributes excellently to our play.

Mane? Jayrod the season before? Lallana as well that year? Others chip in with goals. My point is I rate Steven Davis.

Now can we discuss or debate it normally?

9. fatletiss

So you put Ward-Prowse in there? It's ok for one non-scoring player to play there, but not another?

Libby likes this.
  10. Libby

Libby 9-0

Ward Prowse all round game is far worse than Stevens atm as well.

11. Libby

Libby 9-0

Out of those players, 3 (Pelle, Jrod & Long) Won't be playing behind the striker so that leaves 3 including JWP which as FLT said above also doesn't score?

12. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Gaston scores goals, but I'm not sure he's as effective as Davis. The thing with Steven is he keeps the game ticking over. Yes, there's probably better options out there, and yes I'd be surprised if someone like Juanmi hadn't been brought in with that in mind, but SD certainly has his uses to put it mildly.

fatletiss likes this.
  13. Libby

Libby 9-0

I wasn't discussing Gaston - I was responding to tintins claim that it's 'laughable' to see SD anywhere other than the DM positions, followed by a list of players who he feels are ahead - that's what I was debating.

For the record I'd rather see Davis start any Prem game over Gaston <ok>

You maybe right about Juanmi as well.

14. Le Tissier's Laces

Sorry, despite quoting I was more responding to Tintins about needing to be a goalscorer. Not sure why I quoted you! I mean yes, I get his point, but Davis brings a lot to that position in terms of keeping attacks moving (though does need to work on his finishing, no doubt).

Libby likes this.
  15. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

All I'm saying is Gaston is better suited to scoring goals/creating chances than Davis, if he can get form although Davis is the better all-round player, and I'd like to think Juanmi will be the next level up in terms of creating chances.

fatletiss and Libby like this.
  16. Le Tissier's Laces

Nail, head.

17. jonny 'hasen' shuttle

jonny 'hasen' shuttle Well-Known Member

Gaston is ****e, waste of money - and we all know it

18. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Ward-Prowse got six assists in 16 starts. Davis got two in 32. So the answer to your question is yes. Especially as Davis can play DM and Ward-Prowse can't.

19. st_brendy

st_brendy Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

I'm not a Davis fan, I haven't been for about 18 months now (we've moved on from his level - but there are 6 - 10 PL teams who he'd improve straight away). Certainly my dislike of Davis did not only originate from his Spurs performance last season.

But even I struggle to accept putting JWP ahead of him when filling the attacking midfield positions. Neither of them are good enough to play there.

20. Tintin

Tintin Well-Known Member

Mane, Tadic, Juanmi, Ward-Prowse is four (not three). We don't know where Rodriguez will play under Koeman, but It will probably be left wing. If both don't score then it's obvious why Ward-Prowse is an option there before Davis. He set three times as many goals up last season and started half as many games. Davis is good at DM (as back up or a rotation option) , Ward-Prowse isn't. The only place Ward-Prowse can get in the side is AM so he has to be in that list.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015