1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Gaston

Discussion in 'Southampton' started by Libby, Jul 8, 2015.

1. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

An emergency option? I think you're forgetting the high regard that Ronald holds Steven Davis in and, in my opinion, rightly so. As we embark on a new journey into Europe players with his experience will be invaluable. Koeman said he was close to being made captain remember.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
  2. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

You have to remember that Steven Davis had a few iffy games towards the end of the season and in some fans eyes that now means he is rubbish. I agree with you that Ron thinks highly of him, as do I.

Yes, he didn't hit his normal standard for a patch, but a few players were like that. He is still an important part of this squad.

davecg69 likes this.
  3. NISaint

NISaint Well-Known Member

He missed a catalogue of chances which was frustrating. Always in good positions though and if he had've turned a couple of those moves into goals it would be a different story.

fatletiss likes this.
  4. fatletiss

fatletiss Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The Spurs Game in particular he could and probably should have had two or three, however that's not his strength. I'd say it's the only thing missing from his game. Hugely under rated player (not by Ron though)

davecg69 likes this.
  5. Libby

Libby 9-0

Yeah I certainly wouldn't have JWP ahead of Davis in the pecking order.

letissier86 and fatletiss like this.
  6. Lovelocum

Lovelocum Well-Known Member

Me neither. Although Davis had some off games and missed a couple of chances I still consider him to be a more consistent performer.

fatletiss likes this.
  7. davecg69

davecg69 Well-Known Member

I like Steven Davis - had a bit of a spat with a so called "supporter" about 3 rows behind me who kept moaning at him and Graziano saying they were rubbish and we should get rid of them.
    My take on Davis is the same as yours, Fats - he's a damn hard worker who makes the midfield tick and just needs to pop in a couple of the chances he gets to become the "darling" of those so called supporters.

fatletiss likes this.
  8. Osvaldorama

Osvaldorama Well-Known Member

Davis is quality. Definitely needs to spend a couple of hours after training working on his shooting though. It would make him a very, very good midfielder if he could finish.

9. saintrichie123

saintrichie123 Well-Known Member

His form dropped off when he picked up an injury on international duty......don't think he quite shook it off but with with summer break he will be back to best come the new season, hope so as I am a fan of his.

fatletiss likes this.
  10. Le Tissier's Laces

Le Tissier's Laces Well-Known Member

Hi Trini - post more!

I think we're an "up to £60k a week" type club right now, with one very unfortunate exception in Dani.

Libby likes this.

11. VVD

VVD Well-Known Member

Don't think anyone can say Davis is rubbish, but he doesn't score goals, and having played as our attacking midfielder in a midfield 3, that's what he needed to do. JWP doesn't do that either (at the moment), so hopefully Juanmi can pitch in with some, if Gaston could get some form I would say he could do it as well, big if with Gaston though. He definitely has the talent though.

12. SouthamptonFCroatia

SouthamptonFCroatia Well-Known Member

Davis is mostly used as an attacking midfielder, or at least as a central midfielder who plays further up the pitch. Now there is no doubt that he's a very good midfielder, but he's an average attacking midfielder. He can't score and his tally of assists is not that impressive either. My impression is that a player more suited for that role would improve our game. Davis should play as a central midfielder, paired with Wanyama for example. There his qualities would be best used.

13. A Touch of Clas

A Touch of Clas Active Member

Think it is a tough one with Gaston. There is a very good player in there somewhere but it's just dependant on whether he can bring that out. He could have a good season or be a good backup with the amount of games we're going to be playing. However, with just one year left on his contract it makes things hard. If he has a good season and we want to keep him, he could move on for free, or if he has a bad season we will miss out on getting a fee for him now.

14. Libby

Libby 9-0

Indeed, this is why i would say if we get an offer in the region of say £5/6m+? Then I would sell him, and bring in someone else using his wages (or put the wages towards a new deal for a current player). If we don't get an offer which I expect we won't then we may as well just keep him.

15. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

Can someone please tell me what Gazza has in his hand there?

16. fran-MLs little camera

fran-MLs little camera Well-Known Member

Without looking I would guess that is the awful tea drink he likes....you have a straw to avoid the leaves.

17. hotbovril

hotbovril Well-Known Member

It looks like a drug bowl from an Iain M Banks book.

18. fran-MLs little camera

Yes, just looked at full picture. It is a mate cup....a caffeine drink. You may have noticed SKD swig from it and grimace in an earlier video. Gazza is rarely without it...you will see him carry it off the team coach.

19. Beef

Beef Well-Known Member

How long before seeing Gaston playing again are we remind that he likes spending a hour on the ball before passing?

20. fran-MLs little camera

He is a bit of a dolly-daydreamer. I just hope he's happy in the little world he lives in. :)