1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Four Games Left...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Sep 9, 2019.

1. brb

brb CR250

Your earlier write up was 'nearly' as good as my Youth v Experience thread during Maddogs reign <laugh>

2. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

So - How many games left ?

I suppose I should be grateful for the 3 points -- but it was hardly a convincing performance. Southend were very poor - and yet, even with only 10 men, they were causing us a lot of problems. On another day we would have lost another 2-0 lead -- and wouldn't have too much to complain about it!
    You will tell me that we can only beat what is in front of us --- but -- didn't we make hard work for ourselves. We struggled to score with only the keeper to beat ( Ndjoli also missed with a header that was easier to score than miss ).
    Of the goals we scored - one was a massive deflection. No. 3 was poor defending by Southend .I really don't know what Marshall was trying to do before he sent in a woeful shot - which didn't deserve to even be called a 'cross' - but thanks to yet another goalkeeping error, Hanlan managed to get his backside in the way !
    The result was the very least that we 'expected' - but unless our performances improve we can look forward to playing Southend again - next season -- not sure if Evans will need to pay his Dartcharge !
    At the beginning of the season I thought we had assembled a team that looked better than for 'a while.' Our style of play is 'different' inasmuch we aren't always resorting to long balls - but the performances haven't really improved our prospects -- which seem -- yet again -- to be a battle against relegation --- can you imagine our chances if there were 4 realistic places up for grabs.

..............and judging by the size of the Home support, I think that the title of this thread has more significance with the number of games to which more disillusioned Gills fans might bother to attend.

Lord Sondes Clock likes this.
  3. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

Well today's that day and we've only achieved one more win in that time against a very poor Southend United. Could it be happening?

Lord Sondes Clock and brb like this.
  4. alwaysright

Pegleg It isn't ' happening.. '
    Despite our ' poor ' results, we have (( as grumpygit will tell you )), been playing much better football than for a long time. The effort that we have put in - especially against teams like Ipswich, and Peterborough is unquestionable. The problem is in being able to score. If Ndjoli hadn't missed an absolute 'sitter', the result on Saturday could have been a lot different.

We have had only two poor performances in the league ( Bristol Rovers and Oxford.) The rest of the time, we have given decent effort -- which -- with our resources is as much as can be expected. You could say that this won't be enough to avoid another relegation fight - and I won't disagree. I hope that results get better. (( they might be helped if players don't slip at crucial moments - or if players don't raise their hands in our penalty area - or - if a 'striker' could score from at least one of two penalties in a game. )) -- that is the sort of bad luck we are getting (( I hope Poshfan isn't listening ! )).

We do need to get a striker in the January transfer window - we probably won't avoid the lower half of the table for the rest of the season - but I don't think that we are the third worst team (( at the moment, it's looking much grimmer for Bolton and Southend. )).............so,

I expect that Evans will be with us next August - unless HE walks.

5. brb

brb CR250

I'm glad you reminded me of the topic, as I feel it highlights even more the injustice that was done to MadDog at the time, and the stats do not lie. Evans has already been given longer in League One, than Martin Allen, despite this being the coinciding game where MA departed in October 2013.

Back then the Gills were 16th and 2 points from the drop zone with 24 clubs.
    Now we have Evans in 16th and 2 points from the drop zone and 23 clubs - this is despite being given an extra two games....three by tonight!

You only had to look at the clubs the Gills had to deal with back in 2013 - Wolves, now a Prem side. Sheffield Utd, now a Prem side. I believe it was a far more difficult league back then, to one which is the weakest to date in many a season.

<whistle>

Lord Sondes Clock likes this.
  6. Lord Sondes Clock

Lord Sondes Clock Active Member

It’s quite feasible that the next four games won’t produce a win, which would leave SE with 3 victories in 20 if I’m not mistaken.

The football is, I agree, to some degree better on the eye but it’s not delivering results. If my fears for the next few games is correct and we come back from Sunderland with our season over, barring a battle against relegation, I cannot see how PS can fail to get rid.

brb likes this.
  7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

Or we could win all 4 and leave us with 7 wins from 17 league games (41% win rate) <party>

8. The Gills PegLeg

Well that ain't happening <laugh>

9. The Gills PegLeg

Guessing you've managed to erase the monstrosity that was the Burton defeat?

10. alwaysright

You'll probably add last night's game to the list !
    The Burton game was very early in the season. I allowed a bit of latitude for that less-than-impressive performance ( on a very windy day ).

As for Shrewsbury - I couldn't go - owing to a dental appointment in the afternoon. (( no pain )) I watched the game on ifollow --- lots of pain !! What a load of rubbish (( I could have been watching Spurs in the CL )).
    Judging by the ( lack of ) quality on offer, it looks like it might be a toss up between Gills, Shrewsbury or Bristol Rovers for the third relegation spot. (( Rovers managed to lose to Bolton ! )) .......... and it's not a good time to be a Southend fan (( -25 goals already ! )).

FYI I have three more sessions at the dentist before the end of the season. I'm having some crowns fitted. The dentist asked if I preferred silver or gold crowns ---- I told him that I was a Gills fan - and this was my only chance of seeing silverware.