1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Four Games Left...

Discussion in 'Gillingham' started by brb, Sep 9, 2019.

1. brb

brb CR250

before Evans is sacked!

If the chairman is being fair and consistent and the situation on the pitch does not improve.

MadDog our League Two Championship winning manager was sacked after twelve games in all competitions, after only achieving two wins.

2. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

After 10 league games in 2013 we had 9 points, 2 wins, 3 draws, 5 loses.
    This year we have played a lot of the top teams already with Wycombe and Ipswich to come this month.

3. alwaysright

alwaysright @ Very Angry Camel

OK - if you want my honest truth --- and it might not sit well with everyone !

Mr. Scally finally realised that constantly appointing, and reappointing past ex players and managers was never going to resolve the on-field problems we have at Gillingham. (( even if some of them were considered to be " Yes men"))

He turned to Evans - despite knowing the strength of feeling about our stout Scotsman. I don't doubt that Mr.Scally will tell us that he appointed Evans for his footballing credentials - and was prepared to compromise any principle of NOT appointing a man of 'dubious' scruples - in the hope that fans would forgive any sale of our souls to the Devil - if the Devil produced the desired results................

Mr. Scally, in appointing Mr.Evan went "all-in." --- and so far, he is holding NO aces in his hand. Mr.Scally can't afford to continue to gamble - but probably feels that it's too early to 'fold.' I believe that he will 'bluff' for longer than he did with Martin Allen......... and I actually think that the current squad will see us OK in mid table next May................ and given that it will allow Mr. Scally to reward himself 'handsomely' for yet another year, why would Mr.Scally give himself the hassle of another compensation suit against him by sacking Evans before Christmas................ but, since all this nonsense started with the knee-jerk reaction of Allen's dismissal, my opinion is that the stability of the position of manager at GFC has been seriously destabilised.

And -unfortunately Mr.Scally has failed to see the 'elephant in the room.' --- the lack of money and investment --- which, realistically, will be the only way that we are likely to recruit real quality.

I am not criticising any of the squad. For the most part they are giving their best effort - and nearly 100% commitment ---- and that is the best we can hope for.

I am not going to criticise Mr.Scally for the lack of money or investment (( although, clearly, this aspect of the business of running a football club is his responsibility ))--- Mr.Scally cannot really help it if GFC are not 'attractive' enough for any multi billionaire. ---

.... so- like I said recently, we are what we are, where we are ; Division 3........ and as long as the squad gives their best and 100%, then Mr.Scally will keep on receiving my money .

Gil Lingam likes this.
  4. The Gills PegLeg

The Gills PegLeg Up yer Harris

So therefore Evans deserves more a chance than the manager who won us our first title in 49 years? :huh:

5. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

You said that not me, I think we are playing good football and will start to see the results very soon, when MA left the football was dire and you couldn't see any improvement.
    There was also the fact that it is strongly believed his going was not football related.

6. The Gills PegLeg

I disagree that it wasn't improving, we had won the previous two games under Mad Dog comfortably and did look like the corner was turning. Alas I do feel that it was very much off the field issues that lost him his job however.

Say the results doesn't improve though, what realistically is the time we need to start saying enough is enough (playing devils advocate)

7. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

I'm sorry but I thought the football at the time was dire, and winning our first game on the 28th of September wasn't much of an improvement.
    As for this season the football has been a lot better and I think it's just a matter of time for the results to turn, that said if the results are'nt better by the end of October it will need reassessing.

8. brb

brb CR250

Anyone ever remember me writing Youth v Experience back in 2013?

It was a very, very long article, how I explained I was happy with the ride under MadDog, but how we will rue the day of dismantling our Youth.

Consequently it turned out a very well debated thread and I certainly got a lot of critism for daring to challenge MA's methods, I called it something like quick success, but tried to highlight how it would be disasterous for the future.

Talk about War and Peace, I didn't know I could write so much rubbish <laugh>

https://www.not606.com/threads/youth-v-experience.191219/

However, in the end MA paid the consequences on *13th October 2013. But in fairness to him, with the exception of a brief spell under Justin Edinburgh (RIP) we've spent the last six years, achieving absolutely nothing.

It was nice to win a title after nigh on 50 years, but it came at a price, one that today we are still paying, unless Evans can turn this around and based on date alone, he has until Portsmouth away on the *12th October.

9. alwaysright

brb - can't you give him until 31st October?
    Mr. Scally can then sack him - and we won't know anything thing about it - all we'll get in the papers is Brexit.....
    And even those bloody PPI adverts got a longer stay of execution

Edit - I will not be upstaged in the 'rubbish' writing department

brb - have you seen just how many members , from your post, no longer contribute ?
    I wonder if you made them all lose the will to live ((( and, obviously, I am responsible for several other social media suicides -- nearly got Toby ! )))

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    brb likes this.
  10. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

We've just beaten Watford 6 - 3 in a behind closed doors friendly, does that count ?

Ndjoli scored a hattrick.

brb likes this.

11. The Gills PegLeg

Didn't see any Watford first team players involved though. We supposedly beat a Brighton reserves last week too but that counts for nothing when you throw away a two goal lead at recently promoted Trampmere.

12. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

You really are in a depressed state at the moment PegLeg, start looking on the bright side, you woke up this morning!
    At my age that is a definite plus factor, if you wake up pain free as well that's an even bigger bonus. :emoticon-0148-yes:

At the moment you need to just enjoy the improved football, our results will come. :emoticon-0137-clapp

The Gills PegLeg likes this.
  13. brb

brb CR250

Ipswich have sold out their away allocation for their game with us, 2.1k

grumpygit likes this.
  14. alwaysright

If we lose to Wycombe, that will be more fans than for Gills....
    See - I can do 'depressing' better than pegleg

brb and grumpygit like this.
  15. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

That doesn't count, PegLeg is suffering a new depression, yours has been there for years. <sorry>

The Gills PegLeg, brb and alwaysright like this.
  16. The Gills PegLeg

Depression, realism, negativity, lack of beer, who knows. All I know is we're one point and one win worse off in the league than we were this time last season under Steve Lovell although we're apparently improving? Doesn't bode well in my eyes.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2019
    grumpygit, Lord Sondes Clock and brb like this.
  17. brb

brb CR250

Gills win 2-0 <whistle>

please log in to view this image

grumpygit likes this.
  18. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

2 home wins on the bounce .. 7 goals scored .. 0 goals conceded .. 6 points earned.

:emoticon-0178-rock::emoticon-0178-rock::emoticon-0178-rock:

19. Resurgam

Resurgam Top Analyst
    Staff Member

You seem chuffed mate. Almost as chuffed as I am with our result

grumpygit likes this.
  20. grumpygit

grumpygit les misérable

2018 after 7 games...…….2 W...1 D...4 L...GF 9...GA 11...points 7.

2019 after 7 games...…….2 W...3 D...2 L...GF 13...GA 8...points 9.

1999 after 7 games...…….2 W...3D...2 L...GF 9...GA 9...points 9.

:emoticon-0127-lipss:emoticon-0127-lipss:emoticon-0127-lipss