1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Ex Spur thread

Discussion in 'Tottenham Hotspur' started by remembercolinlee, Feb 1, 2017.

1. PleaseNotPoll

PleaseNotPoll Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Loft always seemed to do well for our academy. Not sure why he was let go, but they know better than we do, I guess.

2. humanbeingincroydon

humanbeingincroydon Well-Known Member

3. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

4. bigsmithy9

bigsmithy9 Well-Known Member

Anyone know what happened to Alfie Stokes. I think he once scored 5 goals for us against Birmingham City and Gil Merrick. Wasn't anyones favourite but he did keep Johnny Brooks out for a while!
    This certainly ages me.....I'll be asking what happened to Johnny Hollowbread next!

5. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfie_Stokes

Seems like he played a really small number of games, scoring all the time, before moving to Australia and back.
    Passed away in 2002 aged 69.

6. bigsmithy9

Thank you. I looked at certain players on that list and noticed Jeff Ireland's name was missing.He joined us from Finchley.I believe he only played one first team game and several reserve games,Haven't a clue what became of him......interesting though......all those names of the past bringing back memories.
    My mates and me,as youngsters,used to bring a tennis ball with us for reserve games and play beneath the West Stand with one eye on the game!

7. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

please log in to view this image

bigsmithy9 likes this.
  8. humanbeingincroydon

I saw an article earlier today pointing out that Reo Griffith's Lyon career hasn't got to the best of starts, with him immediately being sent to play for Lyon B in the French fourth tier, yet in their five matches so far this season he hasn't even made a single appearance in the matchday squad let alone on the pitch.

Now it is feasible that he's either picked up a knock or an illness, after all we remember a couple of seasons back when Marcus Edwards missed a couple of months with tonsillitis, but considering a move to Lyon looked a good one for him on paper it's worth keeping an eye on this.

9. bigsmithy9

In Susie Dent's Dictionary Corner column (years ago) she was asked about the expression "sick as a parrot". She dated it to the 1970's but didn't know it's exact origin. I can help her out on this one.
    After returning from an overseas trip in 1908, the captain of the ship the Tottenham Hotspur football team sailed on gave them the ship's parrot as a memento.It was taken to Spurs White Hart Lane offices where it lived for another 11 years.
    In 1919 the First Division was restructured and a League board meeting decided to elect Arsenal into the top flight,relegating Spurs.
    This predictably caused outrage.....and on that very day, the parrot died! Because of what the League had inflicted on them,everyone connected to Spurs were said to be as sick as the parrot.

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  10. bigsmithy9

Looks like he's wearing the secondary kit. Was this the public trial prior to the season's start?

11. PleaseNotPoll

Forum Moderator

It's from a trial match on August 16th 1958, according to Getty Images.
    I'd link to the page and the slightly larger picture, but the site breaks the link, for some reason.

12. bigsmithy9

As Spurs finished bottom maybe they deserved the relegation but Arsenal did not deserve to go up. I believe the Liverpool chairman had something to do with both cases. Back handers,probably,from the Arsenal board!
    I believe,also,because of WW1,many Spurs players had joined up,weakening the club...….

13. humanbeingincroydon

The greatest Egyptian to play in the Premier League

Also pictured, the second-best Egyptian to play in the Premier League

PleaseNotPoll likes this.
  14. remembercolinlee

remembercolinlee Well-Known Member

Ghali...The time Redknapp wanted to bring him on against Wigan in the FA Cup in 2008-09 season was one of the very few times Spurs fans let ourselves down imho

Lovearsenalcock likes this.
  15. humanbeingincroydon

I see mercenary scumbag Kyle Walker is once again trying to insult our intelligence, bleating to the Daily Mail how Poch told him that he wasn't in his plans - because when somebody plays ten of the twelve games before that meeting, that's definite evidence of a player not being in a manager's plans, just like it's proof of a player not getting enough time on the pitch (which just so happens to be the previous story mercenary scumbag Kyle Walker used when trying to claim he was forced out of Spurs and it definitely wasn't his bank balance he was thinking of)

16. Rocky blue army

Rocky blue army Well-Known Member

Money talks there are too many mercenaries like him in football unfortunately ask our Dof ,his problem has been too many Mars bars and playing crap otherwise he would have left as well

deedub93 and remembercolinlee like this.
  17. deedub93

deedub93 Well-Known Member

He will leave in a couple of years, Chelmsford Town are looking for a full back.

Rocky blue army likes this.
  18. humanbeingincroydon

19. bigsmithy9

Good for Lennon. Why did he leave us?

20. Lenny had a stunning game. Delighted for him after all his troubles. Will always be one of my favourites - top Spur! :emoticon-0148-yes: