1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EURO 2024

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by FellTop, May 11, 2024.

1. SourPatch2

SourPatch2 Well-Known Member

I think we have a bit of an under estimated problem in central midfield. Arteta doesn't play Rice as the deepest midfielder, he'd prefer Partey or Jorginho but we will definitely start Rice the deepest, but then who do you play alongside or ahead of him? I keep seeing generated lineups with Jude as a 2 with Rice and I wonder if them people have watched any football this season. I would not be surprised to see a Rice/Gallagher/Jude midfield 3. If Phillips was anywhere near his best he'd be starting.

Adam Wharton is playing himself into the squad at the minute and then there's Mainoo but I don't see either starting.

Robertson and Flash Gordon like this.
  2. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

2002-2006
    Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, Cole, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes, Rooney, Owen

3. LBW

LBW Well-Known Member

We have the players to just go out and blow teams away, the best in the world!
    Led by a negative boring drip who doesn’t know what he has at his disposal. Semis at best

4. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

It wasnt possible to play a starting 11 with so many players playing the same position. Scholes started LW which was criminal , 3 world class players all played the same position so they were just thrown into a midfield 4

Robertson and Daz like this.
  5. Teessidemackem

We also had nowhere near the depth this current squad does

Daz likes this.
  6. LD19SAFC

LD19SAFC Well-Known Member

Germany v Scotland first up on the Friday night. Should be a home banker :emoticon-0103-cool:

Scout73 likes this.
  7. Flash Gordon

Flash Gordon Well-Known Member

I think it's just part of the human condition to forget the bad times. People talk about the great squad we have now, but it wouldn't be where it is without Southgate in my opinion.

If you listen to The Overlap, you'll hear Neville, Carra and a load of other guests like Rio etc. talk about their international experience and it wasn't positive. It was a dressing room full of cliques and players who didn't play for each other. Then you had the press going for their big gotcha moment too.

Southgate has changed the whole mindset behind England for the better. What he's done will help this country way beyond his time as manager but it's completely unappreciated.

8. Daz

Daz Well-Known Member

I don’t hate the bloke just find the style of football he plays boring, it’s been effective there’s no denying that but it doesn’t suit the world class attacking players we have. Just look at Foden as an example, he needs to be allowed to play with much more freedom.

It’s the same reason a few Man U fans I know hate the idea of him becoming their manager.

9. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Eriksson, McClaren and Capello should have been brave enough to drop one of Lampard or Gerrard, play Scholes in his favoured position and utilise players like Carrick or Hargreaves.
    The strength in depth England had in 2002, 2004 & 2006 tournaments was ridiculous and I'd say that squad is superior to the current squad.

10. Teessidemackem

Yeah i agree they should have done. Hargreaves was a brilliant player, but also very injury prone. Ledley King also played the holding midfield role brilliantly aswell, but he was also very injury prone.
    Our CB options in that era were definitely superior to now. I dont think we were stronger anywhere else though in my opinion. We used to struggle for Left footed players which is why we had to make do with Nicky Barmby and Trevor Sinclair playing Left wing.

11. Teessidemackem

Screenshot_20240512_140619_Facebook.jpg
    This was some team aswell.

12. J Flash

J Flash Well-Known Member

Going out there the weekend of the final, just coincidence really so hoping we can get to the final. Be a class experience in a fan park I recon

13. FTM Dave

FTM Dave Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to it. I always plan on getting tickets for a few games and making it my year's holiday.

I have a ticket for Spain v Italy and then a Round of 16 game (the winner of Portugal's group v a third-placed team).

With 10 days free between the two games I'm off from Germany to Morocco :emoticon-0100-smile

14. Mackem-Tiz

Mackem-Tiz Well-Known Member

I've only seen your OP on this thread and no one else's. But you said that the Euros are 2nd rate compared to the world cup.
    Imo the Euros are possibly harder. Too many countries make the numbers up in the WC

15. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

I mean we miss the teama like Brazil and Argentina. South American football, and latterly African football brings a completely different dimension to a tournament. I prefer the world cup because of the glamour, drama and beauty of the game.

Blond Bombshell likes this.
  16. LD19SAFC

1 month today. :emoticon-0103-cool:

17. Blond Bombshell

Blond Bombshell Well-Known Member

Gerrin, looking forward to it, beers in the sun. Our first game is 8pm k.o. on the Sunday, could get messy in the Grange after it's just been done out <cheers>

Robertson, FellTop and LD19SAFC like this.
  18. LD19SAFC

Some cracking games on that opening weekend

Friday 14th
    Germany v Scotland 8pm

Saturday 15th
    Hungary v Switzerland 2pm
    Spain v Croatia 5pm
    Italy v Albania 8pm

Sunday 16th
    Poland v Netherlands 2pm
    Slovenia v Denmark 5pm
    Serbia v England 8pm

FellTop, Scout73 and Blond Bombshell like this.
  19. Dorset

Dorset Well-Known Member

20. BackO'TheNet

BackO'TheNet Well-Known Member

Monday 10th - Transfer Window opens.
    Friday 14th - Euro's

Happy Days !!

Hettonista, Robertson, Dorset and 2 others like this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 4, Guests: 0)

1. TheBronzeBummer
  2. Oliver's Army
  3. Grizzled Wanderer