1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

EURO 2024

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by FellTop, May 11, 2024.

1. FellTop

FellTop Well-Known Member

To distract me from the head coach wait, I have been looking at the upcoming tournament. I still love international football and it remains the elite level to me.

Very much second rate compared to the world cup, but we have the main protagonists involved. France are real heavyweights, but can England take them on now? Spain I can watch all day, but will they have the goals? Italy are a strong looking side, Belgium may flatter to deceive again? Then the hosts? What will they bring, the Dutch as well? Will there be a shock team to go far? Maybe Scotland?

For me I think the big two are France and England. They look the strongest all over the park. France and Mbappe will be a tough act to stop, but perhaps in Walker we have the one player who could do it.

I am going all in on England. I think we are going in with such a talented and balanced squad. I dont buy the negativity about Southgate either, I trust him with these players. In Kane we have a brilliant striker. In Foden we probably have a player who could be player of the tournament, he is unbelievable right now. Then we have Saka who I think is a brilliant player, Grealish who brings something very different. Is Bellingham the best player in the world right now? Rice has raised his level again this year. Gallacher at Chelsea is becoming an elite talent. The question is at the back. Do we have enough at centre back?

I am going for an England Spain final, having seen France off in an epic semi. England to be too strong in the final 3rd for Spain.

Scotland to have a good tournament as well. Another excellent coaching doing a tremendous job.

After that is over we can appoint our new manager <laugh><laugh>

Robertson, Dorset, Arlyman and 4 others like this.
  2. Scout73

Scout73 Well-Known Member

Got a few mates going over for the Scotland games, hopefully we (scotland) dont disgrace ourselves and win at least 1 game

Think its a pretty open tournament, England def have a cracking chance - Hopefully Southgate lets there attacking players open up when the time comes

Have a feeling Spain might do it

Hettonista, Robertson and FellTop like this.
  3. Nonsense Potter

Nonsense Potter Well-Known Member

Genuinely think we have the players to win it. That's been the case a couple of times before in my lifetime but I have a feeling we just might get over the line this time.

4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

I'm backing England to win it too. Definitely one of the strongest sides and Southgate has them set up for tournament football.

Nonsense Potter, Scout73 and FellTop like this.
  5. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Theres no reason why we shouldnt and cant win it, unfortunately we have Southgate in charge so who knows

JammySAFC, farnboromackem and FellTop like this.
  6. FellTop

I like him mate. A bit restrained but a lot of tournament winners need that discipline. Massive jeopardy.

7. FellTop

Really like the current Scotland side. I think they will show up well. Wouldnt surprise me if they give Germany a fright in the first game

Scout73 likes this.
  8. Teessidemackem

Teessidemackem Well-Known Member

Each to their own mate. He's a negative person imo and has no plan B when a games not going our way

FellTop likes this.
  9. Scout73

We are like a club side, work so hard for each other

The issue is if we miss 1 or 2 players, Clarke hasnt rotated the squad much so when certain players are missing then we really struggle

Looking forward to that opening game against Germany

FellTop likes this.
  10. FellTop

Very underrated Clarke I think. Really pleased he is getting some credit.

Scout73 likes this.

11. Scout73

Def need it in tournament football for the most part, just hope he lets the attacking players england have express themselves when the time is right

Hopefully he will be positive with his changes, England will be a tough team to stop if everyone is fit. Not many weaknesses in the starting line up, lacking depth in CM, LB n CB could become an issue

FellTop and The Norton Cat like this.
  12. Scout73

He is ideal for Scotland, tough talking and has us defensively very sound. We have a formation that suits us at the minute, i was hoping Stewart would have proved his fitness this season as feel he could be the missing piece

FellTop likes this.
  13. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

I don't think it's the elite level at all

14. FellTop

What is?

15. FellTop

The Stewart at the start of last season was hard to stop. He had loads going for him. Had he not been injured I am sure he would be a prem striker and Scotlands number 9.

JammySAFC, TopCat_ and Scout73 like this.
  16. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

Champions League probably.

17. SourPatch2

SourPatch2 Well-Known Member

I asked this on another thread but nobody replied:emoticon-0140-rofl: Does Dier go? Starting CB for Bayern while they rotate De Ligt, Kim and Upamecano and by all accounts he's been good.

18. FellTop

Knock out maybe. Group stages are crap. I would always watch international games over it, personally.

19. John Wick

John Wick Well-Known Member

He didn't look out-of place the other night when he was playing. Other than that I haven't seen much of him.

SourPatch2 likes this.
  20. Scout73

I probably would, i dont think hes great but England arent blessed at CB and Maguire is struggling with an injury

Dunk looks out of place at international level so an experienced player like Dier could be really useful in the squad

SourPatch2 likes this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)

1. Chunksafc
  2. Robertson