1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Euro 2020

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by karlos5001, Jun 1, 2021.

1. stick

stick Bumper King

How very dare you...!!!!!!

2. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Did you spot one stick?

3. stick

stick Bumper King

One of ours leading the line for the sweatys Ron

4. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

The Germans put down a marker today and were the exact opposite of England - fluent, punchy and extremely mobile. Italy still my favourites though - also amongst the National Anthems (with Holland a close 2nd).

5. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Ah yes. Had to look that up. Couldn't score against us either. That says it all <laugh>

6. stick

stick Bumper King

Italy's reserves look better than most of the first teams at the Euro's

7. stick

stick Bumper King

10/11 the draw Ukraine v Austria today! What is this? Last day of Serie A?

karlos5001, redcgull and NassauBoard like this.
  8. redcgull

redcgull Well-Known Member

I'm glad for the Welsh, glad that they qualified and glad that they have managed out get out of a group that I gave them no chance in doing...!! But the one thing I took out of the game yesterday was that the Italians have a good back up squad and that if they do suffer an injury or suspension or two that they could seriously get over it. They created many a chance against the Welsh and had the front lad had his shooting boots on should have slain the Welsh Dragon by more than the 1 nil score line.

From a Welsh point of view they might have been lucky to have played the Italians last, as they wouldn't have beaten the first team squad, but that's not their fault, the luck of the draw is something that happens a lot in sport. Can they get past the runners up of Group B, Belgium (doubt it), Russia, I'd say so, the fins or the Danes, I'm not sure on either, but you never know...

As for the Italians they will face the runners up of a group that is very much up in the air with any of the teams getting that spot but you'd put them down to get past any one of Austria, Ukraine, North Macedonia or even my picks Holland...

First group done, Group B to play tonight. Belgium to beat the Fins and Denmark to turn over the Ruski's, job done...

karlos5001 likes this.
  9. Saf

Saf Not606 Godfather+NOT606 Poster of the year 2023

I'll genuinely be surprised if there's a goal in the Ukraine and Austria game. They both know what they need to do...

10. redcgull

I don't think it will be the same as the famous bore draw between Austria v Germany back in 1982, now that was a farce. In fact they changed the whole group playing stages after this 'fixed' draw between the two sides meaning that the last group games get played all at the same time now... Google it if you can't remember it...!!

11. Saf

I support Sunderland. We were relegated one season by that cheating big chin bastard, Jimmy Hill. Bristol City and Coventry played out a draw to keep them both in the same division and which also sent us down. Jimmy Hill postponed the kick off for 'crowd congestion' and once the Sunderland game had finished he raced to the scorebox to announce over the tannoy our result so players on the pitch could just let the game finish a draw. I don't believe they even got near each others boxes during the last 20 minutes.

Qualifying is a big deal to both Ukraine and Austria. I can't see either side going for it and taking any chances when a defeat could see them ditched out the competition.

redcgull likes this.
  12. stick

stick Bumper King

0-0 and less than three bookings 8/1

Saf likes this.
  13. Saf

That's definitely worth an interest but I've got a 'policy' of never backing 0-0 draws.

14. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Russia getting their arses kicked. Now 4-1

15. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Tick. Russia out

16. Bustino74

Bustino74 Thouroughbred Breed Enthusiast

The Germans do have form here. In '74 W Germany made certain that East Germany qualified by letting the East beat them in their final group game. The wikipedia explanation is risible.

redcgull likes this.
  17. SwanHills

SwanHills Well-Known Member

As usual. I'll stick with Belgium. Martinez has a real star-studded squad. I would be surprised if Germany win this, don't fancy them at all, not on the evidence of just one good game. Their ****ing flags are already fluttering all over the place down here. Probably got washed-away a couple of hours ago during the most gi-normous thunderstorm I have ever experienced in the many years I have lived in south-east Germany.

18. redcgull

Well, from the country that gave us Bacon, Carlsberg and Hans Christian Anderson, they gave us some real entertainment last night as the thumped the poor ole Ruski's and got through the knockout stages of the comp. Well played...<applause>

Not sure that the Finnish will be overly joyed for their country neighbours as it means they finish 3rd in a group that had three sides all on 1 win apiece, and most likely going to miss out on knockout football. The fact that the Danish played all three group games at home, with what was a fantastic crowd last night must have been a huge help in getting them through the group. The Italians have a 3-0 record, as do the Dutch and the Italians. England, well those pesky tartan wearing Scots made sure we couldn't go 3 and out, or maybe just because we were shi1te, but the point being the group stage and the tournament are slightly more in favour of some teams to others.

Tournaments should be held in the one country with just the one country having home advantage, the hosts, but this is progress according to UEFA and the men in suits...

19. Tamerlo

Tamerlo Well-Known Member

“the group stage and the tournament are slightly in favour of some teams”...
    Can someone tell me when England have had anything but relatively “easy groups” in the Euro Champs and World Cups during the last 50 years?
    FIFA and UEFA have often showed advantages to hosts and some practices have been dubious at best.
    There have also been ridiculous refereeing decisions over the years eg. France’s penalty against Croatia in the last World Cup Final and Argentina’s Rattin’s sending off against England in 1966- all of which smack of corruption.

20. OddDog

OddDog Mild mannered janitor
    Staff Member

Starting with Kane and Sterling again I see. Put the mortgage on 0-0