1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Match Day Thread Euro 2016 Thread

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by RogerisontheHunt, May 22, 2016.

1. Master Yoda

Master Yoda Well-Known Member

Not sure why the complaint is Wilshere over Drinkwater.

Wilshere offers something no other England CM does - he can carry the ball and take it under pressure + move forward.

If you want to complain about Drinkwater it should be about Henderson.

I feel a bit for Mark Noble in that regard too - but he can't be on the plane with so little experience in that CM role. It's a failing of previous and present managers that he's never been tested. Merit wise, Defoe should go over Rashford too.

I'd probably line up like this....

-----------------------------Hart
    Clyne--------Smalling--------Cahill--------Bertrand
    --------------------------Dier
    -------------Wilshere-----------Milner
    --------------------------Alli
    ---------------Kane------------Vardy

In an ideal world Sturridge would start but he's probably not quite fit enough. Vardy would be a great sub option.

No Sterling - Milner has a better end product and is more effective in combination play around the box. Raheem's game has diminished to running towards the corner flag and passing back in-field.

2. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Wilshere's 3 (THREE) appearances in all competitions this season is the problem

3. Master Yoda

And?

If the staff are satisfied he's fit enough to play and hasn't lost his game, what's the problem?

England have to pick the best 23 available to play in June - not last season.

4. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

I think you also need to consider which players tend to play better for England regardless of club form. Some players are like that and that should be a massive factor imo. So the ONLY argument for Wilshere is IF he performs for England. He doesn't. So there goes any remaining justification for him being in the England squad. In that case let Drinkwater have a go. BTW I would add Sturrudge in that as well. Very good at club but doesn't do it for England. Conversely Walcott has always been consistently good for England.

5. luvgonzo

luvgonzo Pisshead

Yeah, but, no I was just saying that....Ah ****, rumbled.

Peter Saxton likes this.
  6. FedLadSonOfAnfield

The England squad is clearly geared more towards playing an all out attacking style, trying to score lots of goals. There are quite a few good creative midfield options, couple of decent more defensive minded ones and several strikers who are in the zone right now. Defensively you can't say anything more than there's a few 'solid' options, Clyne, Smalling, Rose, Cahill but no stellar players. Not that there are any of those anywhere in the team really, but in midfield and up front you feel the talent and quality is at a higher level than at the back so you should look to exploit that

7. moreinjuredthanowen

lets talk actual squad:

Goalkeepers: Joe Hart (Manchester City), Fraser Forster (Southampton), Tom Heaton (Burnley).

Defenders: Gary Cahill (Chelsea), Chris Smalling (Manchester United), John Stones (Everton), Kyle Walker (Tottenham Hotspur), Ryan Bertrand (Southampton), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool).

Midfielders: Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Ross Barkley (Everton), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), James Milner (Liverpool), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City), Jack Wilshere (Arsenal).

Strikers: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Jamie Vardy (Leicester City), Daniel Sturridge (Liverpool), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United).

Keepers.. I don't really care. there's 3 rules call for 3.. the third one never matters much

Defenders: 3 CBs.. risky. Yes dier could but.. c'mon...

Midfield: well depends on formation. if is a 4 man midfield its light. 3 man its maybe ok. I agree with the whilshire stuff... reality check he's barely kicked a ball. no way he is fit. or ready to play in a tournament. Then theres balance.. there are 3 wingers there. milner lallana and sterling.. we know they aint cms. then theres barkely and alli who are both forward charging players who have not got the heads for defence really.. in an international setting systems and covering each other is vital.. seems light in CM

I think this is unbalanced but then delph got injured and he's left drinkwater back.

"strikers" 5 strikers... for what one position? will he play one wide or what? or is rooney playing CM?

I've no issue with bringing rashford. I think 4 strikers was enough so... well its better than when rooney broke a toe or whatever and enlgand were out of tournament back in when? 2004/6?

really I just think we are taking a couple risks and hoping for the best here. I think midfield is unbalanced primarily and its weighted towards guys who can't defend which is odd given hodgsons style.

8. moreinjuredthanowen

pity hodgson is manager then :bandit: this worked real well last tournament.

9. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Whixh is why is take Townsend. Plays well for England when ever given the chance and is actually in decent form.

10. InFrancroatiaWeTrust

InFrancroatiaWeTrust Rome, London, Paris, Rome, Istanbul, Madrid
    Forum Moderator

Lieceater showed you don't need star names in defence. Just 4 defenders that won't make 2 **** ups a game.

11. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We'll be playing a diamond with basically 3 of those 5 strikers on the pitch. But then your whole point about defensive minded midfielders, comes into play. And so we'll have our arses handed to us on a plate <ok>

12. Zingy

Zingy #ziggywould

Fixed. <whistle>

13. astro

astro Well-Known Member

Joe Allen is going, so England are doomed

Draw against Russia, lose to Wales, Slovakia a dead rubber

FFS why is Roy still manager

abc_220 likes this.
  14. Master Yoda

Germany have embarrassing depth in a few positions... but light at full-back and the front three.

France look in good shape but have lost several big players at the back.

Spain it's more about the style they adopt... Great team.

Could Portugal do it? Is Ronaldo even fit?

15. moreinjuredthanowen

I would like that diamond and see dier as only option there, I think for full backs to do really make width we need another there with him. Henderson?

If we put rooney kane and vardy in the the box to box CM's will be having to do a lot.

16. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

Spain will be a shadow of their former selves imo. The way they dominated possession... and other teams, has gone.

17. moreinjuredthanowen

One din and I think we will get through in 3rd.. no issue.

18. Tobes

Tobes Warden
    Forum Moderator

We only need 4 points to progress, so a draw against Russia and a win against Slovakia would be enough to go through.......

19. moreinjuredthanowen

team is different but interesting

much depends on selection.

please log in to view this image

gk?
    Azpilcueta RB
    Pique CB
    Ramos? CB
    Alba LB
    Busquets DCM
    Iniesta CM
    ThiagoCM
    FabregasAM
    Pedro AM
    Morata ST

they've quite a good team but will they be a cohesive unit?

20. Treble

Treble Keyser Söze

We won't be losing to Wales. That much I'm confident of.