1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Development squad thread

Discussion in 'Charlton' started by Bitter & Malicious, Aug 21, 2014.

1. dick plumb

dick plumb Well-Known Member

Team for tonight's U21 Cup game against Ipswich.

@CAFCofficial: Charlton U21 starting XI | Beeney; Barnes Edwards, Staunton, Konsa; Muldoon, Kelly, Holmes-Dennis; Aribo, Hanlan, Lookman. #cafc

@CAFCofficial: Subs | Prall, Assiana, Bone, Lapslie, Anderson. #cafc

I thought Henderson might have got a run out in this game.

2. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Who is the sub goalie, Prall?

3. ForestHillBilly

ForestHillBilly Well-Known Member

Bone, Konsa and Lookman have been promoted to the U-21's while they're only 17 I think.

4. dick plumb

3-0 to the addicks. Lookman got the second and Holmes- Dennis got the third. I don't know who got the first. Prall is the goalkeeper, Bitter.

Aribo got the first, here is a full report.

U21 PREM LEAGUE CUP REPORT | Ipswich Town 0 Charlton 3

A dominant development squad display over Ipswich Town saw Charlton safely through to U21 Premier League Cup round of 32 at Portman Road on Monday evening.

After a goalless first-half, the Addicks opened the floodgates in the second courtesy of Joe Aribo, Ademola Lookman and Tareiq Holmes-Dennis’ strikes to seal a second cup victory in a week for Jason Euell’s side.

Read the full report here --> http://www.cafc.co.uk/news/article/charlton-u21-premier-league-cup-report-ipswich-town-2740998.aspx

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    Bitter & Malicious likes this.
  5. ForestHillBilly

A chance to see a Charlton team beat a Palace team tomorrow when the U-18's play them at 11 am. I hope it's poosible to play our strongest team, including Konsa, Edwards and Lookman.

6. deleted.....

deleted..... Well-Known Member

Yoot beat Palarse this morning at Sparrows 3-1

0-1 down at half time but took control of the game in the second half and scored 3 unanswered goals.

7. ForestHillBilly

Ridiculous decision to stop printing team sheets for these games. A lot of the Charlton players were U-16's and I didn't know who they were. Anyway the first 2 goals were beauties laid on by our no. 9. The 3rd was a header from a corner against a giant Palace defence. Great to see us beat Palace at any level.

8. Ken Shabby

Ken Shabby Well-Known Member

Maybe they don't print the team sheets to throw scouts off the track.

9. dick plumb

I hope this will help Forest.

Charlton Under-18s were back in home action on Saturday morning, after back-to-back away fixtures. The match at Sparrows Lane could not have been bigger, as they hosted South London rivals Crystal Palace.
    Charlton made two changes from the starting line-up at Ipswich a week ago, with Daniel Bowry replacing the injured Kenneth Yao at centre back, and Sulumain Bah made way for Taylor Maloney to start at the top of the diamond.
    It was the visitors who had the better of the early play. They played some neat stuff in midfield without really testing Jordan Beeney. Crystal Palace came close when an inswinging corner was not dealt with by Beeney, and he had captain, George Lapslie, to thank as he cleared the ball off the line.
    The visitors then saw a free kick go narrowly over the bar.
    As the half wore on, Charlton began to get into the game more, and came very close to taking the lead when a cross into the box found Terrique Anderson whose header beat the keeper, but came crashing back off of the post.
    Anderson then had another golden opportunity when he found himself through, and looped the ball over the visiting keeper. He thought he had scored, but the Palace defender got back in the nick of time to hook the ball off of the line.
    Moments later Crystal Palace took the lead, when Charlton gave up possession in the middle of the park. Palace broke and their striker slotted home well when he found himself one-on-one with Beeney.
    Moments after the goal the referee blew for half time.
    There must have been some inspiring words from the coaching trio of Steve Avory, Sergei Baltacha and Simon Clark at half-time as the Addicks came out a new side, taking the game to their visitors.
    Charlton made one change at half-time bringing on Sulumain Bah for Alex Willis.
    It was substitute Bah who got the Addicks back into the game, as a neat move ended with Terrique Anderson getting in down the right and putting in a perfect cross. It took out all the Palace defence and found Bah at the back post. Bah struck the ball past the goalkeeper to make it 1-1.
    Charlton continued to dominate the game and were soon in front. Anderson was again involved as he got in on the left, and had his shot saved by the keeper, who pushed the ball on to the post. Fortunately for Charlton, the ball fell to Chris Millar who was on hand to fire the ball into the roof of the net.
    Charlton were playing some good stuff from here on in and looked to have knocked the stuffing out of their near neighbours.
    The third soon came when Charlton were awarded a corner and Sam Bone floated it in and it was met by centre back, Daniel Bowry, who met the ball with a bullet header. It went into the top corner emphatically to double the Addicks' advantage and give Bowry his first goal since signing for the club in the summer.
    The third goal was a knock out blow for the visitors and the game was over.
    It was a massive victory for the boys which keeps them at the top of the table after 11 games.
    The Under 18s next league fixture will be at home to Bristol City on 7 November, although there could be a league fixture arranged in the interim period.
    Charlton: Beeney; Sarpong-Wiredu, Assiana, Bowry, Zemura; Bone, Lapslie(Doughty), Millar, Maloney; Anderson, Willis (Bah).
    Subs (Not Used): Maynard-Brewer, Bangura-Williams, Simpson.

10. deleted.....

Now now Dick <ok> ...... you should always quote your source <laugh>

Dr Kish will not be happy.

11. dick plumb

I wasn't trying to take credit for it, I posted the same on CL and quoted Ketts. I just omitted his name on here. Daniel Bowry is Bobby Bowry's Son and we got him from Volenti Academy.

12. ForestHillBilly

Anderson looks useful to say the least.

13. ForestHillBilly

A 2-1 win over Watford, goals by Hanlon and inevitably Lookman. Maybe B&M will have to reconsider his views on Jason Euell?

Bitter & Malicious likes this.
  14. dick plumb

Lookman was class, a turn and shot that hit the bar in the first half was sublime. The goal he scored in the second half was something out of nothing. Turning in from the left at pace and rifling the ball into the corner from twenty five yards. I do not understand why Kennedy is in the first team squad and Lookman isn't. I know he is small and inexperienced but this boy is good.Hanlan's goal was a tap in after a header was saved. Joe Aribo also impresses me.

Team
    Henderson,
    Barnes, Staunton, Konsa, Edwards
    Lapslie, Muldoon, Kelly
    Hanlan, Aribo, Lookman

Was standing next to Doyley and he said to someone that he expected to sign a contract soon.

Henderson hardly had a save to make and Staunton was lucky to stay on the field after going over the top of the ball.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  15. Bitter & Malicious

Bitter & Malicious Well-Known Member

Bah! Humbug! It would have been 4-0 with Nathan Jones in charge. (I am not bitter and malicious for nothing.)

My views on Euell were that he was only appointed to replace Jones because he was a cheap option. Given that he was Powell's protege I am surprised he is still here.

Even harder to judge an u21 manager than a first-team manager. At least with the latter you have a rough idea of the standard the various players should be at, because of past histories and size of fees.

With juniors coming through it impossible to know whether he is (at one extreme) making bricks without straw and inspiring a bunch of clodhoppers to combine well as more than the sum of the parts, or (at the other extreme) stifling talents with wrong methods.

The other difficulty is that he should not really be judged on results, or even on how well the team plays, but on whether he can develop a trickle of players who can hold their own in our first team (or even better). Most youth coaches have moved on to different clubs before a really fair judgment of their work can be made (when the players are around 23/24 and it becomes clear whether or not they have a solid career ahead)

So it is all gut-feeling at present. We do not really know how he is doing, but I am happy to say "Well done, so far, Jason. I may well have misjudged and maligned you. If so, I apologise".

Another factor is that he may be learning and improving. I guess all our coaching staff continue to go on courses to improve their CVs?

16. ForestHillBilly

There couldn't be a greater contrast than the type of football played by the U-18's and that played by the first team. On Saturday I saw some beautiful football from a very young U-18 side destroy a bigger and older Palace team. They were full of invention and movement, and were always supporting each other. A real pleasure to watch.

DonCorleone, andy217 and dick plumb like this.
  17. dick plumb

It finished Cardiff 1 Charlton 2
    Charlton U21s starting XI | Mitov; Barnes, Edwards, Staunton, Konsa; Charles-Cook, Bone, Aribo; Hanlan, Kennedy, Lookman. #cafc
    SUBS | Prall, Kelly, Umerah, Assiana, Lapslie. #cafc
    U21S | It's goalless at the break in Cardiff. We'll bring you any key updates from throughout the second half. #cafc
    U21S | 48' GOAL! Staunton converts a corner to put the Addicks in front in Cardiff. 1-0. #cafc
    U21S | 66' GOAL! Lookman makes it 2-0 in Cardiff. #cafc

Cardiff scored a consolation goal.

18. DonCorleone

DonCorleone Well-Known Member

Obviously it is hard to say, but how good do you think Lookman will go on to be?

19. deleted.....

Very good indeed <ok>

20. dick plumb

He reminds me of Raheem Sterling, obviously not as good but small, strong, fast, can beat a man and has got a rasping shot. It is amazing that he was spotted playing Football in the streets.