1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Coronavirus

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Sooperhoop, Feb 8, 2020.

1. bobmid

bobmid Well-Known Member

The point I'm trying to make is that it would be better without a line anywhere to help curb the transmission. These borders for tiers are doing nothing.

2. finglasqpr

finglasqpr Well-Known Member

Just to prove that Macron and some other European countries are playing politics on this lorries issue, I just read on a Spanish website that Spain is also not allowing UK citizens to travel to Spain for the moment. But, they are allowing Spanish citizens in the UK to travel home for Christmas. The same as France who are allowing French and EU citizens to cross the channel but not UK citizens. Of course, Macron and Pedro Sanchez are best of buddies.

This is shameless politicising of the issue by both Spain and France at a time when everybody is trying to get a deal on Brexit. As a proud EU citizen, for them to do this at Christmas and during a pandemic is sickening. Ashamed of both of those countries and of both Macron and Sanchez.

3. SW Ranger

SW Ranger Well-Known Member

No, I do get your point, absolutely Bob. I guess the “tiers” came about because lots of businesses/people felt they were being needlessly punished when their area had a low covid rate as we came out of lockdown 1.0; so ”tiers” would help this and deliver a degree of ‘fairness’. But people don’t seem to be able to cope with it. Our society seems to be continually looking over at what others have, and they do not, then screaming injustice and making up excuses to have it/want it too. Modern human nature I guess.

Ninj and bobmid like this.
  4. Bwood_Ranger

Bwood_Ranger 2023 Funniest Poster

Could be worse. 8ACB657B-9238-4E10-96F0-418395A995E7.jpeg

Ninj and ELLERS like this.
  5. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

Not for the first time.

6. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

7. kiwiqpr

kiwiqpr Barnsie Mod

The new south african strain more contagious than the uk one

8. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Great, so the fcukin aircrew from South Africa weren’t satisfied with infecting us Aussies with just a standard dose, they had to give us the latest and greatest strain of all.

Sorry folks for my rant but here in Oz, on Christmas Eve, my daughter and grandsons were supposed to be with us, to celebrate Christmas together, instead, where home alone.

l’m still fuming that they aren’t here because of those arrsehole flight crew from SA. causing the borders to be shut indefinitely.

l hope you folk are handling it better than my wife and l at present.

Regards to you all.

Ninj, QPR Oslo, peter1954qpr and 7 others like this.
  9. Ranger4ever

Ranger4ever Well-Known Member

I understand your frustration Didley. Main thing is to stay safe. Enjoy your Christmas as best you can.

10. rangercol

rangercol Well-Known Member

A lot of us over here in a similar position mate.

Try to enjoy it as best you can.

Merry Christmas.

QPR Oslo and Didley Squat like this.

11. qprbeth

qprbeth Wicked Witch of West12
    Forum Moderator

Hang on in there Didley. It is all a bit @@@@ at moment...
    I'm trying to take a few positives. My daughter was cooking for all of us...and had order a big box of meat and vegetables.
    She cancelled, as she has little extra money and she ordered just a small box for her family.
    When it came today...they had put in loads and loads of free stuff.
    I know the suppliers are up the creek and can't get rid of it...but my daughter has now got a freezer full of stuff, which will really help her in the long expensive January...and my family will not be forgetting the supplier in the new year.

Merry Christmas to you Didley, try and make the best of it if you can

Ninj, QPR Oslo, sb_73 and 5 others like this.
  12. Didley Squat

Didley Squat Well-Known Member

Thanks to you all for your kind words, folks.

I’d had a few sherbets last night and was feeling a bit glum ( which is a rarity ). l’m feeling better this morning.

That’s lovely story Beth.
    Best wishes to your daughter and all.
    Merry Christmas, folks.
    Aussie

Ninj, QPR Oslo, peter1954qpr and 4 others like this.
  13. Ninj

Ninj Well-Known Member

Just spoken to my brother and his family in Aus. They have been down to the beach.......was thinking of doing the same here until he then mentioned 40 plus in Perth compared to bloody freezing at Bournemouth.. Happy Christmas Everyone

14. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

Yeah Perth is a hot one at the moment. I have friends And family that live there. Although Christmas on the beach is not as great as it seems...just another hot day there. Give me a cold England any day. :emoticon-0105-wink:

Didley Squat and Ninj like this.
  15. Steelmonkey

Steelmonkey Well-Known Member

Interesting development in the fight against Covid

Covid: Post-exposure antibody protection trialled

By Rachel Schraer
    Health reporter

please log in to view this image
    IMAGE COPYRIGHTSCIENCE PHOTO LIBRARY
    Ten people have been given antibodies as a form of emergency protection after being exposed to coronavirus, in the first trial of its kind.

The experimental jab is being offered to people who have been in close contact with a confirmed Covid-19 case within the past eight days.

If it proves effective, it could protect vulnerable people who have not yet been, or cannot be, vaccinated.

And it could help to contain outbreaks.

The trial, run at University College London Hospitals (UCLH) NHS Trust, is looking at whether an injection of two different antibodies could prevent someone who has been exposed to Covid from developing the disease - or at least from becoming very ill.

Vaccines take weeks to offer full protection, meaning it's too late for them to be given once someone already has the virus brewing in their system.

But this monoclonal antibody treatment, developed by the drugs company AstraZeneca, should work to neutralise the virus immediately.

And it gives ongoing protection for up to a year.

It could mean healthcare workers, hospital patients and care home residents could be given the treatment if they have been exposed to a known Covid case.

It could be offered to people with health vulnerabilities by their GPs.

And it could be used to prevent one or two cases turning into an outbreak in settings like student accommodation.

The team, lead by UCLH virologist Dr Catherine Houlihan, wants to recruit 1,000 volunteers.

They are targeting recruitment at areas where people are likely to have been exposed including hospitals and student accommodation.

People wanting to take part will have to show their close contact has tested positive.

The jab works by "donating" antibodies, Dr Houlihan said - "it skips out that stage of your body doing the work" to make them.

"We know that this antibody combination can neutralise the virus, so we hope to find that giving this treatment via injection can lead to immediate protection against the development of Covid-19 in people who have been exposed - when it would be too late to offer a vaccine."

She explained this technique was already used post-exposure for other viruses like rabies, and chickenpox in pregnant people.

Pre-exposure
    Another trial already under way at UCLH is looking at whether the same antibody treatment could be used before someone is exposed coronavirus, to prevent them ever catching it.

This could be particularly useful for people who have immune deficiencies or are going through immune-suppressing treatment like chemotherapy.

Infectious diseases consultant Dr Nicky Longley, who is running the pre-exposure trial, said it was being trialled on people with conditions like cancer and HIV which "may affect the ability of their immune system to respond to a vaccine.

media captionCan you become immune to coronavirus?
    "We want to reassure anyone for whom a vaccine may not work that we can offer an alternative which is just as protective."

It might also be useful to protect vulnerable people as a stopgap before they can be given a vaccine, Dr Houlihan confirmed.

But she said it was not being suggested as an alternative to the vaccine. And it's also likely to cost considerably more, at hundreds of pounds a dose.

Along with UCLH, the antibody treatment will be trialled at multiple sites in the US as well as in Wakefield, Manchester, Southampton and Hull.

But only the London site has begun recruiting and jabbing people.

The first results for both arms of the trial - using antibodies before and after exposure to Covid - are expected in the spring.

kiwiqpr likes this.
  16. Goldhawk-Road

Goldhawk-Road Well-Known Member

To say nothing of the sharks that occasionally visit the beaches - I'd never have a moment's peace if I was swimming out there

I remember going for a swim on one of the few beaches in Trinidad when I was working there. The families on the beach said a shark had been seen - but someone else said impossible, no shark had been near that beach for years. I went into the sea with a work colleague and we were up to our chests when the colleague pointed thirty metres to my left and said "What's that?" . I had one look and said, "It's a fin, let's get the f@#k out of here!"

It wasn't huge, seven foot, but big enough to give a nasty nip!

17. sb_73

sb_73 Well-Known Member

I’m a bit confused by this. I don’t see how this is different from medicines which are already available in the US, including the regeneron drug which Trump had, and available on a commercial basis. They are monoclonal antibodies which are expensive but effective - if a vulnerable person contracts the virus, give them the medicine and the likelihood of being hospitalised are vastly reduced.

qprbeth likes this.
  18. ELLERS

ELLERS Well-Known Member

I lived there when I was a youngster. Probably why I appreciate this country so much. Fab country to live but it has something missing. Many trips over the years to Oz. Always watch an Aussie rules match and go fishing. Always found the heat too much. However very clean and nice country. More opportunities for Brits to live/work in Oz/Canada/NZ in the coming years after the deal is signed.
    I never worried about the sharks it was the Poisonous jelly fish/fish/snakes/spiders/scorpions that I worried about. :emoticon-0100-smile

19. Goldhawk-Road

The heat is a big issue and I don't think most Brits acclimatise well. I used to go annually to Oz (Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide) and timed my visit for our autumn/ their spring when the weather was actually very pleasant down there.

Yes, the box jelly fish could do you some damage. And I remember having a very civilised lunch in Melbourne with a lawyer who said he was avoiding one part of his garden at the moment because he had seen a poisonous snake there. You forget about that element of danger when you're in one of the Oz cities. Then there are the funnel web spiders that hide under loo seats... I'm happy to be in the UK and can handle the odd nettle sting!

Didley Squat and ELLERS like this.
  20. Goldhawk-Road

Good point about the future work opportunities in Canada and the Antipodes

mapleranger and ELLERS like this.