1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Connor Wickham

Discussion in 'Sunderland' started by TopCat_, Sep 7, 2021.

1. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

On trial with Preston. What might have been, or was he neve as good as the hype?

MrRAWhite and Makemstine Roger like this.
  2. The Berk

The Berk Well-Known Member

Inconsistency for me mate he definitely had something. May be he’s another one that got rich young and couldn’t concentrate on being a professional athlete.

3. Nacho

Nacho Well-Known Member

He was never that good for me, not fast or skilful enough to be a winger and not a good enough finisher to be a CF.

Don't mean to say he's ****e he's a decent enough player but he didn't look like premier league quality to me.

4. The Norton Cat

The Norton Cat Well-Known Member

Its a bit of an odd one because he showed flashes of being really good but it was never consistent. He's just spent 6 years at Palace but only played about 40 games for them.
    I think he might be one of those bad decisions that were made under Short. When we signed him, it wasn't long after there had been rumours, denied by Harry Redknapp, that Spurs were interested. That kind of thing would have made him a prime target for us back then.

5. Nailed it mate. I think it was Quinny who said he was last into training and first out,which he found really unbelievable for a young player with his whole career ahead of him. Didn't have the attitude to develop the skill he had.

6. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Gotta factor in the injuries as well, didn’t help himself there by not keeping himself fit of course.

He could play a bit, but was so fleeting and he always looked knackered.

Still got a few years to dig a bit out of it amazing he has t signed for Ipswich really they’ve signed everyone else.

7. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

Agree with this. Another one of those who showed occasional flashes of brilliance but was ultimately frustrating. Not sure if it was his head or what

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  8. Makemstine Roger

Makemstine Roger Well-Known Member

i just remember the pictures of him in the papers, on Holiday in the pool with a magnum of champers and babes, for him and his dopey hanging on mates, and thought get rid this tosser has to go, getting pissed 2 days before pre season very unprofessional

Gil T Azell, rb92 and John 11:35 like this.
  9. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

He was in a bar I had a night on in at 2am one Wed on a game week, surrounded by people and doing shots.

Pathetic.

10. Makemstine Roger

**** he was a very expensive signing for his age anarl, it was Ipswich i think, had our pants down and didn't even wipe it afterwards, due Diligence was not done on the twat,he turned out to be a waste of space, another Grigg

11. Makemstine Roger

have you moved yet mate, if so hope all went well and your settled in cushty

12. TopCat_

TopCat_ Well-Known Member

At least we got out money back (or even made a smal profit) on him when we sold him. It would have been very Sunderlandy to turn down £8-12m from Palace and then for him to do his ACL

JammySAFC and Makemstine Roger like this.
  13. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

Haven’t really been looking mate it’s still in the plans just been a bit busy with work etc, I’ll pick it back up at some point.

Probs next year now realistically.

Makemstine Roger likes this.
  14. Robref62

Robref62 Well-Known Member

Will be remembered for his late run of goals that kept us up.....thats about as much as his career amounted to. Harsh but fair.

15. Seb’s right peg

Seb’s right peg Well-Known Member

That purple patch for the "miracle" under Poyet was brilliant, but it's a shame he never kicked on from there.

16. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

There was without question a player in there. His mentality was never the best but I think the injuries made that worst and that’s why he faded.

Fit and strong he may have had a very different career.

17. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito Well-Known Member

A potentially good player who blew it by being big headed and not working on his game and general fitness. Injuries aside, there were loads of stories of his poor attitude in training when he was with us. To be honest, he's just the same as Marcus Maddison.

Robertson, John 11:35 and Nads like this.
  18. marcusblackcat

marcusblackcat SAFC Sheriff
    Forum Moderator

My boss hired his old limo as an airport car. Personalised reg. all the toys, and by this, I mean 2 x boxes and playstations with TVs inside it. All networked for 2v2 gaming. Unbelievable machine too apparently! It’s own built in WiFi hub too.

Just so sad that the talent which you saw fleetingly was so wasted as he just wanted to party

Guy Incognito and Nads like this.
  19. The Exile II

The Exile II Well-Known Member

Everything that's wrong with young players. Lazy, unfit, more bothered about the money than building a career.

cumbrianmackem likes this.
  20. Nads

Nads Well-Known Member

He thought he was better than he was, and it’s a real shame because he was good and potentially very good.

He ruined the years when he should have been learning, maybe the move was to soon and too big, wasn’t he like 30k week at 20 or whatever?

Robertson and John 11:35 like this.