1. Log in now to remove adverts - no adverts at all to registered members!

Off Topic Boxing

Discussion in 'Horse Racing' started by Cyclonic, May 17, 2015.

1. Cyclonic

Cyclonic Well Hung Member

I don't know what's going on between Eddie Hearn's Matchroom and Al Haymon's Premier Boxing Champions, but we're starting to get mixed signals from the two groups when it comes to the Ruiz - Joshua bout in Saudi Arabia.

Hearn is on record stating that both fighters have signed for the fight Diriyah, but Ruiz has since said that he has no protection over there and that the fight will take place in the US.

Maybe Ruiz and company are hard balling for an increase on the 7,500,000 pounds to which he's contracted. By threatening to delay the fight, maybe he'll get a bigger chunk of the 33,000,000 pounds on offer. I suppose as the champ, he thinks he deserves better than the less than a quarter he's up for.

2. Dancingbraveforever

Dancingbraveforever Well-Known Member

Ruiz deserves at least 50/50.

But utterly ridiculous that they would even consider fighting in the middle east. Pandering to the oil rich billionaires and not one thought to the true fans .

Cyclonic likes this.
  3. Cyclonic

I often use BoxRec when looking up fighters records, but their latest effort with their stats leaves a lot to desired. They ran their numbers through their stats machine in an effort to find their version of the best fighter of all time. And what a balls up. I can understand some believing that Floyd Mayweather's record gives him a claim, (not one I can agree with) but having them list Muhammad Ali at No 4 is an absurdity.

When Ali burst onto the scene in the early sixties, he broke the heavyweight mould. He was something fresh and new. Mayweather on the other hand, as good as he was, excelled at a style of boxing that's long existed.

They have the great Joe Louis at 7.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    Dancingbraveforever likes this.
  4. Dancingbraveforever

Mayweather number one !!

5. Dancingbraveforever

I just read the list. What a pile of dogshit

Cyclonic likes this.
  6. Dancingbraveforever

I wouldn't have Mayweather in my top 25.
    Nor would I have Muhammad Ali either.
    Now...Cassius clay I would. A boxer of real skill and beauty.

Cyclonic likes this.
  7. Dancingbraveforever

8. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

As you know I’m a Joshua fan and have defended some of the abuse given his rise to stardom in so few fights, but this is one that made me angry and wondered whether mentally he is all over the place after his defeat last time.

Having a read around the boxing forums, I was expecting AJ to get lambasted for this but actually the majority of boxing fans felt Lewis deserved this tirade and that it’s been coming for 3 years as he has constantly nibbled at AJ.

However, when you look at Lewis’ resume and legacy of all those names he beat, you don’t say **** like “I’m cut from a different cloth”.

I’m pretty sure what AJ meant was that he won’t hate on the young up and comers when he’s retired whereas Lewis does. However, a lot of people will think he is referring to their careers.

Regardless, some of AJs recent comments indicate that he is struggling with some of the pressure. He said he “needed to get his motivation back”, and that the undisputed goal was a hindrance to him. He also talked about how he wasn’t interested in Ruiz and his head was all about Wilder and Fury.

This game takes patience and you have to take care of business whilst you let the negotiators make the mega fights.

I’m not entirely sure AJ has that focus right now. Time will tell but I worry for him in the rematch.

Dancingbraveforever and Cyclonic like this.
  9. Cyclonic

I worry about AJ as well Toppy. There just seems to be something amiss with him. Even in the aftermath of the defeat, I thought he looked as though he didn't give a **** about the beating. It was sort of like, easy come easy go. And he couldn't stop smiling. It was odd.

As for the so called feud between AJ and Lennox Lewis, I'm not sure what's going on. Lewis has had a a few words to say about Joshua's trainer Rob McCracken, which Joshua took exception to, that prompted the "clown" put down. Clearly AJ doesn't like Lewis, hence the "I don't respect Lewis" claim. I don't know why it's happened, but Lewis has certainly had an effect on Joshua. And as both Ruiz and Bruno have now bought into the debate, things can only get more interesting.

I wonder if Anthony Joshua is one of those really bright lights that quickly fade in the night sky?

10. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

It's all very subjective is boxing isn't it. I can imagine if all boxing fans that post on this forum posted their top 10 they would all be different.

Cyclonic likes this.

11. Cyclonic

12. Cyclonic

Well the great mystery has finally been solved. Direct from AJ's mouth. He was beaten by a lucky punch. o_O

13. TopClass

TopClass Well-Known Member

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....defeat-was-caused-by-a-punch-sent-by-the-gods

Worrying for me this is. The guy who has been so composed in this fast tracked career and so humble seems to me to be finding a lot of excuses.

Lucky punch? Sure- it’s the same type of shot Whyte threw at him when he goes in all guns blazing. And if it’s so lucky, why did he keep getting hit with it?

This doesn’t sound like someone learning his lesson at the moment. He will have to be smarter, better, and faster on the night in the rematch if he is to win.

14. Dancingbraveforever

Hes still not in the right frame of mind. Something has gone on and he seems to be in pieces. Lump on Ruiz should they fight would be my suggestion.

15. Cyclonic

Quick to claim the lucky punch. This allows us to ask whether he thinks his punch that dropped Ruiz was lucky.

16. Dancingbraveforever

Surely when you throw a clenched fist In soneones direction with a full range of motion, it can never be lucky.

Cyclonic likes this.
  17. Ron

Ron Well-Known Member
    Forum Moderator

Maybe AJ was just unlucky in that he didn't get out of the way <doh>

Cyclonic likes this.
  18. mallafets123

mallafets123 Well-Known Member

Could this be the start of the build up to sell the next fight? It does not really need selling but there is no harm in maximising it. Or, it may be mind games and trying to irritate the Mexican champ?
    Reason i say this is that AJ doen not seem to be the kind of man and fighter to say such a thing.

Cyclonic likes this.
  19. smokethedeadbadger

smokethedeadbadger Well-Known Member

I hope this is just Mayweather being Mayweather but there's a story doing the rounds that states Mayweather is claiming he's travelling to Saudi Arabia to open talks about a staging a rematch with Manny Pacquiao. Please let this be bullshit. Please stay retired and be happy with your 49-0 record.

20. Cyclonic

I read that too Smoke, but it seems the the vid is years old. The man has since stated that there will never be a rematch.

smokethedeadbadger likes this.